GA News: OnlineAthens - Marshall family won't have to take sides in UGA-Georgia Tech rivalry g

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
November 24th, 2015 12:15 PM

When Georgia and Georgia Tech play Saturday in Atlanta, it will be the latest chapter of what’s known as “Clean, Old Fashioned Hate.”
There will only be love for Warren and Denise Marshall when they watch their sons represent teams on different side of the state rivalry.
Keith is a senior tailback for Georgia. Marcus is a freshman B-back for Georgia Tech.
“For us, we were not Georgia fans or Georgia Tech fans before they went there,” said Warren Marshall.
“It’s not difficult for us to show that our alliances are with our boys. If Keith is doing well, we’ll cheer. If Marcus is doing well, we’ll cheer. We’ll support both teams well after they’re gone because we’ve obviously built some relationships around the programs at this point.”
Denise ordered specially designed white “Family United” T-shirts that includes the football logos of each school on it and has some Georgia red and Georgia Tech gold. There’s also the name Marshall on it and the players’ jersey numbers: 4 for Keith and 34 for Marcus.
“I told my Mom she can’t wear it in our section so I guess she’s got to sit over there,” Keith said. “We’ve got a rule you can’t wear anything with the other team on it.”
Tickets will be used in both the Georgia and Georgia Tech sections to accommodate some of the 20 relatives expected.
“It’s been hyped up in our family and all the friends and stuff,” Marcus said by phone after practice Monday night. “Me and him haven’t talked about it too much.”
“It’s exciting,” Keith said. “It will be fun. I never got to play against him, compete against him so it will be fun to hopefully get bragging rights.”
Another three different families — up to another 15 people — that are friends with the Marshalls are coming in from Raleigh, N.C., where the Marshalls call home and starred at Millbrook High School. Sister Jasmine is an 11th grader who is a cheerleader.
Keith, a five-star recruit, set the Millbrook career rushing record with 4,552 yards, and Marcus, a three-star prospect, broke his brother’s single season rushing record last year with 2,198 yards and 31 touchdowns.
“They played a few more games than we did,” Keith said. “I was rooting for him to break it. I always support him. You want your little brother to do great things.”
Marcus’ college offers included Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and N.C. State. There was some interest from Georgia but no offer.
Keith saw Marcus’ first game on TV with Georgia Tech against Alcorn State when he rushed for 184 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries and some of Saturday’s game at Miami when he rushed for 84 yards on eight carries.
Marcus, 5-foot-10 and 209 pounds, has rushed for 609 yards this season, the most by a true freshman under Paul Johnson. He ranks eighth in the ACC in yards per game at 60.9.
“We’re a little bit different,” Keith said. “He plays B-back which is a more downhill type of back. I think he’s a very talented kid.”
Keith, 5-11 and 212 pounds, has rushed for 1,284 yards in his career with 12 touchdowns, including 255 yards and three touchdowns this season.
“It’s definitely going to be fun to see these brothers duke it out,” Georgia safety Quincy Mauger said.
Keith sustained a season-ending torn ACL in 2013 and was limited to three games last year after injuring the knee again. He has missed the last two games after spraining an ankle against Kentucky, but was upbeat about being able to play Saturday.
He has decided he won’t seek another season and will instead pursue landing on an NFL roster.
“I think it’s time for him to try his luck at the next level,” Marcus said.
“He’s got to get in camp and show the consistency to be able to stay on the field,” said his father, a running back at James Madison who was a sixth round draft pick by the Denver Broncos in 1987 and is now a real estate investor/broker. “I don’t doubt his talent level. I’ve been around the game a long time at every level and I’ve watched college players. He’s definitely one of the better running backs that’s coming out. He just doesn’t have the resume right now because of a couple of down years.”
Marcus, three years younger, went on trips to the lake with Keith in the summer and has visited Athens a few times during the season.
“We keep real close,” Marcus said.
Marcus joined his family Saturday night after he returned from Miami and Keith took part in Senior Night ceremonies. They ate a late dinner together after the game (“I just ordered pizza at the house,” Keith said) and ate breakfast together Sunday morning.
They will be together again Thursday in Atlanta at their uncle’s house for Thanksgiving, two days before their teams butt heads at Bobby Dodd Stadium.
Keith and Marcus grew up in a home where what they did in the classroom was stressed more than what they did on the field.
“Football was always a big thing for us but I really just wanted to follow in his tracks academically because I knew that was going to help me get in school,” Marcus said.
Keith, who has a 3.2 grade point average, is set to graduate next month with a degree in finance. Marcus is deciding whether to major in finance or industrial engineering.
When Keith’s college career ends, he says he’ll support his brother — to an extent.
“Even when I’m done playing and he’s in town,” Keith said, “I’ll never put on a Tech shirt.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.