Bo Jackson's comments on the finebaum show

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bo doesn't brag about his community work, but he made my (special needs) brother feel like a champion when he took time a few years ago to visit a group home he was at. Apparently he does stuff like that all the time, so I don't care where he played, etc. - he's a class act, and man of great character, a man I can admire.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bo was the best athlete I ever saw on a football or baseball field. He ran the fastest hand timed 40 in NFL history with a 4.12 at the combine.That was at at 6'2" 218 pounds. That's almost inhuman.
He could snap a baseball bat in half with his hands, hit the ball a half a mile and had one of the strongest arms ever.
They'll never be another one like Bo in my opinion.
I'll say this as well. I think the five year period where we won three national titles and Auburn won one and played for another was a pretty strong statement that football in the state of Alabama is as good as it gets.
I couldn't help but be proud of that.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Bo doesn't brag about his community work, but he made my (special needs) brother feel like a champion when he took time a few years ago to visit a group home he was at. Apparently he does stuff like that all the time, so I don't care where he played, etc. - he's a class act, and man of great character, a man I can admire.
When my wife was the Directors of a Nursing Home in Birmingham, he came and spent 2 hours going to visit all the patients and this was when he was playing pro ball after college and would not allow the media to come film it. She still tells the story to this day. And if memory serves me correct he was an eyelash from wearing Crimson....

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
When my wife was the Directors of a Nursing Home in Birmingham, he came and spent 2 hours going to visit all the patients and this was when he was playing pro ball after college and would not allow the media to come film it. She still tells the story to this day. And if memory serves me correct he was an eyelash from wearing Crimson....
Your memory is correct. I think it was mentioned in the "Roll Tide/War Eagle" documentary about playing time being the deciding factor. But if he'd have decided to come to Bama and been on the scout team he'd have punished the LB's and blistered the DB's and would've earned playing time IMO.

Snake 4 Bama

Scout Team
Jan 1, 2013
I went to the same school as Bo Jackson. I was just a little 7th grader and he was a senior that year. I was in the gym one day and got to speak to him. I told him to go to Alabama and if he went to Auburn I could not pull for him. He just laughed and joked around with me. He was a very nice person and took the time to talk to me for a little while. I think he is a class act.:)

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
you know, it is threads like this one that keep me coming back. there is no reason to not be able to respect talented opponents, regardless of which school they attend(ed). i was always amazed by the things he could do on the field and can remember him streaking past nfl db's like they were standing still. just awesome. that injury was terrible, not just for him, but for the sport as well. i had not heard about his community service, but am not surprised based on how he has always portrayed himself in interviews. always seemed like a genuinely good guy.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Agreed. CBS failed Bo on this one. They shouldn't have broadcast that. But, they did, and my 9 y.o. paused the TV and came and got my wife and I so we could see it. Parenting win.
I can't remember if it was the Miss St or LSU game but, CBS got Kirby 2 knuckles deep earlier this season....

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Bo Jackson is a class act. Wish he would have committed to Bama, but believe he is one of the most incredible athletes in my lifetime and a great spokesman for the state of Alabama!
I just wish he had gone to Bama. And I do think he is probably the BEST athlete to come out of the state of Alabama. Coach Bryant should have totally handled his recruitment. This was about the time Coach Bryant's age was adversely affecting recruiting. I'm sure coach Dye used Bryant's age in his recruiting of Bo Jackson. McAdory was closer to Tuscaloosa than going to the Pasture on the Plains of West Georgia.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
How many people actually heard the interview? He sounded to me like he was drunk. At the beginning he talked for about 5 minutes (which is an eternity in radio time) about all the food businesses he had and the food they were preparing. It was really weird and he seemed to slur his words. You could hear Finebaum laughing in the background several times.

I'm a huge Bo fan and have been ever since I saw him play for the Raiders as a kid, and I'm not trying to slander him. But he honestly did not sound right to me. Did anyone else get that impression?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Bo Jackson praises Derrick Henry and says that DH is his #1 choice for Heisman. He also said that if AU can't win the National Championship he hopes Alabama does because he wants the state of alabama to do good! I have a little new found respect for the big man!
Bo is still very relevant on the national stage, remarkable. Rarely do you see someone with that much talent without ego, that is what I like about him. He never has bad things to say about anyone.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have noticed that most former Heisman winners have no allegiance to schools when it comes to their vote. They actually tend to be loyal to their position.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I just wish he had gone to Bama. And I do think he is probably the BEST athlete to come out of the state of Alabama. Coach Bryant should have totally handled his recruitment. This was about the time Coach Bryant's age was adversely affecting recruiting. I'm sure coach Dye used Bryant's age in his recruiting of Bo Jackson. McAdory was closer to Tuscaloosa than going to the Pasture on the Plains of West Georgia.
Agree with others. Bo was prob the best athlete we've produced in the state, at least in my lifetime. At one point in his recruitment, I believe def. Coach Ken Donahue was handling Bo's. Who knows what Bo would have done if he had been given at least some hope of playing before his Jr. year? Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Agree with others. Bo was prob the best athlete we've produced in the state, at least in my lifetime. At one point in his recruitment, I believe def. Coach Ken Donahue was handling Bo's. Who knows what Bo would have done if he had been given at least some hope of playing before his Jr. year? Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
Would have made a dynamite linebacker.:)

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Home run threat every time he touched the ball, in either sport. The Bo Bikes Bama event for tornado relief is a good event and the man can flat out ride. He came through my devastated home town of Pleasant Grove and ended up riding down the street I grew up on, half of which is still empty. I'll gladly give props to Bo, on and off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangertau

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 29, 2000
Fairfax, VA
Bo going to API was more a business decision - but he did grow up rooting for Bama. Timing just didn't work out and I always respected him. Bo and Herschel were the two best college football athletes ever from the SEC imho.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
How many people actually heard the interview? He sounded to me like he was drunk. At the beginning he talked for about 5 minutes (which is an eternity in radio time) about all the food businesses he had and the food they were preparing. It was really weird and he seemed to slur his words. You could hear Finebaum laughing in the background several times.

I'm a huge Bo fan and have been ever since I saw him play for the Raiders as a kid, and I'm not trying to slander him. But he honestly did not sound right to me. Did anyone else get that impression?
I heard the interview and he really did ramble about his business for a long time at the beginning. Bo has a stutter that used to be severe. It's much better now, but stutterers sometimes have off-days where it pops back up a little bit. When they do, it can make them self-conscious and when they're concentrating on the stuttering, pronunciation can suffer. Finebaum was laughing at the rambling and the fact that the first five minutes or so was an uninterrupted commercial for Bo's businesses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.