GA News: OnlineAthens - Georgia defenders on guard again from cut blocks

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
November 24th, 2015 03:55 PM

Georgia outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins doesn’t want to be on what he says is Georgia Tech’s cut block list.
“I know for a fact that those linemen keep track, keep count of however many times they cut somebody,” Jenkins said. “That’s like getting a pancake block. You’ve just got to find a way to get around it and protect yourself.”
Jenkins said he knows about the cut block count because he knows some people on the team.
Cut blocks--blocks below the waist in front of a defender-are legal. Chop blocks--when one player blocks high and another blocks low--are illegal.
“Our guys cut, too,” said Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt, who said Georgia Southern used a lot of zone blocking. “That’s just part of football.”
Triple-option Georgia Tech is known for utilizing cut blocks in their triple-option so Georgia players are on alert for more of them than usual ahead of Saturday's game.
Georgia players got banged up against Georgia Southern, which runs its own option offense.
“I definitely think Georgia Tech will try to do more,” Jenkins said.
Inside linebacker Jake Ganus sustained a “stinger” to his shoulder and neck area. He later sustained a leg injury on what he said was a chop block. Georgia Southern was flagged on the play for an illegal block below the waist when Ganus was pursuing from inside to outside.
Ganus told an official one time to watch for a “high-low” block after he said that happened twice.
Jenkins said he got “cut good once in the end zone by their fullback or running back. I had my eyes in the backfield wondering if I could get to the quarterback and didn’t look at the block in front of me. He got me pretty good.”
Ganus said he’s “a little sore” but ready to play this week and ready for cut blocks.
“I’ve got some new knee pads,” Ganus joked of getting ready for Georgia Tech. “No, it’s a part of football.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.