Report: Kirby Smart’s now the front-runner for the South Carolina job

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I think if truth were known, Smart ultimately wants that Georgia Bulldog job.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Is Smart looking for a head coaching job? Making what he does without the head coach responsibilities has to be sweet. And, I don't think every successful assistant is programmed to be a head coach (see Bud Foster at Virginia Tech).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is Smart looking for a head coaching job? Making what he does without the head coach responsibilities has to be sweet. And, I don't think every successful assistant is programmed to be a head coach (see Bud Foster at Virginia Tech).
Kirby's interviewed for jobs in the past, which indicates he is open to the idea.

Funny you mention Foster because I saw a Va Tech site report he is one of the leading candidates for the Illinois job.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think you are right. However, after LSU fires Miles and fails to land Jimbo, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come knocking for Smart, as much for his connection to Saban as anything...[/QUOTE]

Interesting perspective, Earle. Almost like, "Well, if we can`t have Saban back, maybe this is the next closest thing". I think they would probably have an O coach at the top of their list, though. You sound like you`re sure Les is gone (?).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd love to see CKS go to Va. Tech and get that program competing for ACC championships. If CMR got fired in the next couple of years before Smart turned VT around, he'd probably stay at VT and UGA would go elsewhere. Then after several years, when CNS retires, Smart can come back to Bama.

Nobody knows how all that would turn out, but it's fun predicting.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
IF he succeeded at LSU, he'd never be back at Bama. I think Miles proved that anyone who's a half-way decent coach can succeed at LSU, because of the amount of talent there. Miles was a so-so coach at Okie Lite and applied for our job every time it came open. Considering what he has had to work with, his results have been very bad. A young energetic coach like Kirby can tear up recruiting in that state and you don't really need much outside LA...
Maybe he goes to LSU, is wildly successful, then heads to the NFL for a couple of years, only to decide he likes college coaching better, and then ends up at Bama!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Right now, the rumors regarding Smart is somewhat valid, but at same time we have to consider that as a sensitive information because I saw on BOL that Kirby was supposedly rumored to be the new HC for VT... then you hear the news about SC bumping Smart up to the top... Sounds like this won't settle until late Saturday night or Sunday... I just dont see Kirby going to SC... I see him going to VT.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I don't see it. LSU will go after an offensive minded coach, IMO.
^^^^This. As successful as KS may eventually be, I think the who's want someone, at this point, who can field a potent offense - and has already done so successfully. I don't see them hiring an assistant coach anyway, especially a defensive one.
They want to win NOW, and they know they have to score a lot of points to beat the Bama's, OM's hogs et al of the West.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think a lot of moves will not become apparent until we find out what LSU decides to do. If they drop Miles then it will a LOT of movement going on, and i wouldnt be surprised that some of our beloved coaches will be in the mix and deservedly so.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I think you are right. However, after LSU fires Miles and fails to land Jimbo, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come knocking for Smart, as much for his connection to Saban as anything...
Never thought about that facet of it Earle. They would think " this will be a slap in the face of Bama" . Hope that does not happen.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Smart does go to LSU, it would not bother me one iota aside from the fact we lost a good coach. I'd wish him well except for when they play us. I am certain Saban feels the same way.

If Smart is smart (yes, I did that on purpose), he'll take the Memphis job, which would let him build a program and then come back here in a few years.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is an uphill job, and imo, Kirby would be Smart not to take it. Firstly, you are replacing Spurrier and Holtz and fans will disregard the 90% of what South Carolina was in football, aweful. SC and MSU have so much in common, but Mullen did not have to replace a legendary coach, and he is a A+ head coach imo. Please Kirby, look the other way! A lot of people don't even know that Clemson is in South Carolina and is the historical school. That is a fact.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
If it is something that he wants to do, then good for him. I do like the idea of him taking the Coach Mac approach. Prove yourself and then come back to the SEC (maybe Bama even? RTR). Lots of good jobs open and there will be an opportunity for him somewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.