Report: Kirby Smart’s now the front-runner for the South Carolina job

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
SC is like Alabama, while the state does not produce the numbers of recruits that GA or FL, they do produce some very good players every year. USCe and Clemson battle for these players, but rely on NC, GA and FL to bolster their rosters. IMO Kirby, being the great recruiter he is, could actually recruit better than Spurrier and give Swinney a run for his money. I believe Kirby would be an excellent fit at USCe.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
SC is like Alabama, while the state does not produce the numbers of recruits that GA or FL, they do produce some very good players every year. USCe and Clemson battle for these players, but rely on NC, GA and FL to bolster their rosters. IMO Kirby, being the great recruiter he is, could actually recruit better than Spurrier and give Swinney a run for his money. I believe Kirby would be an excellent fit at USCe.
He would make Richt's life miserable in Georgia, particularly if that very good man runs off Pruitt, his best recruiter.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think USC's history, excluding SOS and, to a lesser degree, Holtz, supports your point...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't think USC's history, excluding SOS and, to a lesser degree, Holtz, supports your point...
Thank you. Clemson is the state's Alabama, SC is Auburn, but historically more lopsided. I am not sure that the recruiting at Clemson is on the up and up, suspicious. I would not get near this job with a 10 ft. pole, it could be a coach killer imo. As another poster stated, Kirby should go the McElwain route. He's 39! His road back to Bama or Georgia is not through SC imo.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A coach has to seize his opportunities when they become available. To me, it all depends on what he's offered if he indeed is offered at all.
South Carolina has a good recruiting base if you include Georgia and North Carolina.
If they offer him 3 to 4 million a year for five years with a ten million dollar buyout, or something similar, he'd be crazy not to take it in my opinion. There's absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that he will replace Coach Saban, at least none that I know about.
He's earned the opportunity to better himself. Do I want to lose him? Heck no. But the man has to look after his on well being.
You gotta also remember, when Coach Saban left Michigan State for LSU, the LSU program was in shambles. A coach has to sometimes gamble on the possibilities rather than the securities.
Just my take on it.
Nothing at all may come of this, but if I'm Kirby, and it did, I'd jump all over it.
sip

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A coach has to seize his opportunities when they become available. To me, it all depends on what he's offered if he indeed is offered at all.
South Carolina has a good recruiting base if you include Georgia and North Carolina.
If they offer him 3 to 4 million a year for five years with a ten million dollar buyout, or something similar, he'd be crazy not to take it in my opinion. There's absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that he will replace Coach Saban, at least none that I know about.
He's earned the opportunity to better himself. Do I want to lose him? Heck no. But the man has to look after his on well being.
You gotta also remember, when Coach Saban left Michigan State for LSU, the LSU program was in shambles. A coach has to sometimes gamble on the possibilities rather than the securities.
Just my take on it.
Nothing at all may come of this, but if I'm Kirby, and it did, I'd jump all over it.
sip
Good point about LSU. LSU was an SECW also ran before CNS. Maybe more fertile recruiting ground, but considering the weakness of the SECE, probably a wash to compare the two (LSU pre-CNS and USCe post CSS).

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Good point about LSU. LSU was an SECW also ran before CNS. Maybe more fertile recruiting ground, but considering the weakness of the SECE, probably a wash to compare the two (LSU pre-CNS and USCe post CSS).

AP top 25 end of season
SC - 9 - TWICE until 2000
LSU -36

MSU is the SC of the west. I won't even go into the huge difference between LSU and SC historically. Bowl games is a good place to start. LSU historically had winning season's South Carolina has not.

To really appreciate how bad SC was pre 2000, you have to see for yourself.

LSU owns their state in recruiting, SC is #2 in a state with less talent.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

AP top 25 end of season
SC - 9 - TWICE until 2000
LSU -36

MSU is the SC of the west. I won't even go into the huge difference between LSU and SC historically. Bowl games is a good place to start. LSU historically had winning season's South Carolina has not.

To really appreciate how bad SC was pre 2000, you have to see for yourself.

LSU owns their state in recruiting, SC is #2 in a state with less talent.
Not really comparing the programs' histories but their potential and where they where/are before CNS/post CSS. The thing most of us forget is how utterly average LSU really was before CNS. CSS proved USC could be a program to amount to something with some very good coaching.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Not really comparing the programs' histories but their potential and where they where/are before CNS/post CSS. The thing most of us forget is how utterly average LSU really was before CNS. CSS proved USC could be a program to amount to something with some very good coaching.

I see your angle. Just pointing out that SC was not just bad but a disease until around 2000. I nearly want to defend any team compared to them.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
For what it's worth, South Carolina, per capita, is behind only Louisiana in NFL players produced. If you could build a fence around the state, you'd be in good shape. Problem is, you've got Clemson to compete with, not to mention Georgia.
If you "build a fence around the state," wouldn't your only competition for recruits be Clemson?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I hate to say it but I think Clemson now has a better chance to get the best recruits over South Carolina. USCe hasn't been good in a while if you think about it. If I'm a recruit from SC and want to stay in-state, at worst it's 50/50 Clemson or USCe.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I hate to say it but I think Clemson now has a better chance to get the best recruits over South Carolina. USCe hasn't been good in a while if you think about it. If I'm a recruit from SC and want to stay in-state, at worst it's 50/50 Clemson or USCe.
Things have definitely trended toward Clemson in the past few years. This state has great high school talent, if not in great numbers. Both Clemson and Carolina have to go elsewhere. Yet the fact that USC plays in the SEC has raised the school's profile throughout the Southeast.

To be honest, Steve Spurrier wasn't much of a recruiter -- it put too much focus on someone else and it was too much work. He certainly had the greater name recognition when he arrived. Once that wore off, though, Dabo's down-home charm took over.

Kirby could counter that.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I see S Carolina have a lot of potential with a good recruiter. TOBC has already shown that 10 ingwin seasons could be the norm there and that would be good enough to keep the fans at bay. They always fill the stadium up and they are loud.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Kirby needs to follow the McElwain path - go out of conference to establish your bona fides then come back. I don't think SCAR comes with much upside. And it depends what he wants.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I also think CKs is waiting for the UGA job to open up. Until that job opens, he'll stay at Bama and continue to work with CNS. When the time comes for CNS to retire, and if the UGA job hasn't opened up, he'll be next in line to coach the Tide. Imo that's a wise move on his part, as either job is a huge win for him. At the same time, any school that hires him is going a long way in improving their program. If that's Bama, then we've virtually assured that our program will remain among the elite for years to come.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.