Report: Kirby Smart’s now the front-runner for the South Carolina job

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Hasn't he been the front runner for a month now? Yawn...the media always starting stuff in the last couple weeks of the regular season.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
IMO, it all depends on what Coach Smart wants to do. There are many job openings this year and we all know more will be coming.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I'm not so sure that SCAR job is that attractive honestly. I think they'll have a hard time reeling in a big name.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm not so sure that SCAR job is that attractive honestly. I think they'll have a hard time reeling in a big name.
Not with Clemson running like they are. Hard to compete with that recruiting when you put a 7-6 or 8-5 product out every year.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
South Carolina will take some time to rebuild. Spurrier despaired at the lack of talent there right now. Marcus Lattimores and Jadeveon Clowneys don't come around every year.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Honestly I think Coach McElwain did it right. Go outside the SEC and prove yourself before you get a high pressure SEC job.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Honestly I think Coach McElwain did it right. Go outside the SEC and prove yourself before you get a high pressure SEC job.
I think you are right. However, after LSU fires Miles and fails to land Jimbo, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come knocking for Smart, as much for his connection to Saban as anything...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think you are right. However, after LSU fires Miles and fails to land Jimbo, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come knocking for Smart, as much for his connection to Saban as anything...
Boy, that would be a tough one. It would be almost an impossible job to turn down for CKS, but then he'd have the unenviable task of going head to head with CNS and Bama each year. I like the sound of him being in SC better, but I'd like for him to get some head coaching experience outside the SEC first and then use that to possibly pave his way back to Bama one day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Boy, that would be a tough one. It would be almost an impossible job to turn down for CKS, but then he'd have the unenviable task of going head to head with CNS and Bama each year. I like the sound of him being in SC better, but I'd like for him to get some head coaching experience outside the SEC first and then use that to possibly pave his way back to Bama one day.
IF he succeeded at LSU, he'd never be back at Bama. I think Miles proved that anyone who's a half-way decent coach can succeed at LSU, because of the amount of talent there. Miles was a so-so coach at Okie Lite and applied for our job every time it came open. Considering what he has had to work with, his results have been very bad. A young energetic coach like Kirby can tear up recruiting in that state and you don't really need much outside LA...

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Of the current openings that aren't coach-killers [Iowa State, etc], UCF looks like a good place for a first head coach job. Get the better of what FL and FL St can't take, snag some good one from Georgia, and not have to slug it out in the SEC. The third-best program in that state might be a good place to make the inevitable first-timer mistakes.

That said, Smart probably knows more about the pros and cons of both than any of us.

Hate to see him go if it happens.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BTW, I'll surprised if they can pull Jimbo, for the same reasons that Bobby Bowden would never leave there (except for the Bama job). Lotsa talent in FL and the ACC is a far easier path to the Natty...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
What if he ends up at LSU for a few years and does well, and then CNS retires? Do you think he tops the list?

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
IF he succeeded at LSU, he'd never be back at Bama. I think Miles proved that anyone who's a half-way decent coach can succeed at LSU, because of the amount of talent there. Miles was a so-so coach at Okie Lite and applied for our job every time it came open. Considering what he has had to work with, his results have been very bad. A young energetic coach like Kirby can tear up recruiting in that state and you don't really need much outside LA...
I'd really hate to see him go there. You are right that he would likely be at LSU for the long haul, and there would be no getting him back.

I really believe Smart is the anti-Muschamp. I think he's going to be very successful as a HC and I would rather see that happen at Alabama. But I'd especially hate it happening right next door at LSU.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you are Kirby -- why would you go to an SEC West School? I just don't see it - only because if you can't beat Coach Saban, you don't have long-term job security.

I'm guessing, USCe, Miami, Maryland, etc....type job is more in line with a career path to bring you back to Bama.....going to an SEC West Team just causes people to view you as "Not Saban" -- because you have to compete with him each and every year.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you are Kirby -- why would you go to an SEC West School? I just don't see it - only because if you can't beat Coach Saban, you don't have long-term job security.

I'm guessing, USCe, Miami, Maryland, etc....type job is more in line with a career path to bring you back to Bama.....going to an SEC West Team just causes people to view you as "Not Saban" -- because you have to compete with him each and every year.....
IDK. Smart may not fear Saban, just because of the long association. OTOH, maybe he does and you are right. We'll see, if they offer. The LSU job is probably the plum of the jobs to come open. FSU, if Fisher goes to LSU. USCe is IMO a dead-end job. I think SOS did a remarkable job and he'll get no credit for it. USC has the ocean on one side, NC to the north, which never has produced much talent, unless they play basketball. TN to the west is another wasteland for talent. GA to the south is a battleground for recruiting and USC can never pull enough talent away from UGA, UF, UA, etc. I'd hate to see CKS go there, just because I like him...

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Listening to the radio this morning, it seems the source for all this news is super agent Sexton. I'm assuming he plays everyone to his advantage, and subsequently his clients. I'm surprised the media can't grasp that they are being used. These reporters are so thirsty for short term gratification. I would like to see a recap later in the year, when all the coaching vacancies are filled, to see whose reporting resembled something close to the truth.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I don't see it. LSU will go after an offensive minded coach, IMO.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.