Game Thread: Alabama vs Xavier

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The game went about as expected. Conversation around our table while eating and watching was that at times the defense was reminiscent of the Gottfried era and the offense of Grant's. We've got a bunch of shooters but no real scorers, at least none that are consistent. The officiating was so-so, but we've got to play defense with our feet and less with our hands because of the points of emphasis mandated for this season. Gonna be a tough year but brighter days will be seen down the road.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I was afraid the season would go like this. We don't look to be very good on defense. We've given up a lot of points to lesser opponents. Inconsistent shooting, bad defense, and fast paced style of play is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully we'll get the right players over the next two recruiting cycles.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Got to watch a little bit of this game yesterday. My take - Johnson is running an offense that is giving your guys some great looks from outside, but you just don't have the players to hit those shots right now. Reminds me of the UK offense a few years ago - except they had the right players. It will be interesting to see how Johnson adjusts, because he is going to have to change his approach.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We clearly have a long way to go, but frankly I saw us playing better defensively and we just got in one of those patented Alabama scoring droughts. The refs we horrible and didn't do us any favors either. We took what 25 less free throws.

As I said in an earlier thread until we get some consistent play inside we are not going to be very good. We need Hale to bang every once in a while rather than shooting 3's,same for Norris. Taylor at this point just seems like he can't develop into a consistent inside presence. I hope that changes, but right now I am very frustrated with him. Donta Hall to me is the lone bright spot inside and has the highest ceiling of any of the bigger guys. We have to have a decent double figure contribution from Retin or we'll continue to struggle mightily. That brings us to Ingram who while clearly loaded with talent he also is making tons of mistakes. TO's are killing us. I know he wants to get the him experience, but we need to tighten up the ball handling. When Retin has foul trouble like he was yesterday and Ingram turns the ball over ever other trip we have only one ball handler in Coleman who I think is not bad, but he is not going to be much of a scoring threat unless he can knock down 3's from distance. We are a couple of players short of being really good. Be patient, it may be year 3 before we show any marked improvement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.