Mandel: Balancing Your Bama Fatigue With Bama Facts

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In an interesting mailbag, we get this:

I get that much of the country suffers from 'Bama fatigue. I get that there's a large contingent of the public that believes any positive word I write about the Tide is due entirely to #BIAS. And I get that many people in Ohio view last year's semifinal as definitive proof that the same thing would happen again if Alabama makes this year's playoff.

So I knew when I saw the latest rankings that the " ... but who have they beat???" crowd would come out in spades, because sure enough, Alabama is now down to just one Top 25 win -- against No. 21 Mississippi State. Look, there are plenty of metrics that will tell you Alabama has in fact played one of the toughest schedules in the country, even with last week's Charleston Southern game included. Their FBS opponents are a combined 67-40 (.626). No other contender's is even .600. They've played nine teams with winning records, also higher than any contender. Iowa, by contrast, has played three. And most impressively of all, the Tide have played six teams that are currently 7-3 or better. They lost one of those games, to Ole Miss, but the five wins have come by an average margin of 20.6 points.

========================

It's amusing to read the comments that folks in Ohio think that because they beat Alabama last year, the same thing would happen this year. Maybe he's trolling, but should I point out that last year Ohio State lost to Va Tech but won this year? Or that last year they beat Michigan State but lost this year?

I mean, this entire 'last year' argument is absurd on its face. (You don't see me using it, and I chide those who do). The only thing Alabama has in common with last year so far is both years we lost by six to Ole Miss (and most likely on Saturday, still won the SEC West anyway).

Alabama was gonna lose to Texas (seriously, some folks here tried that argument) because Utah "exposed" us in 2008. I mean, where does that absurdity end?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ohio State would not beat Alabama this year. They're worse and we're better. Pure and simple. Last year is inconsequential.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So when we beat #2 LSU on 11/7 they really weren't #2 because they have lost their last two games since then? I am having a hard time with this logic.

tmv85

All-SEC
So when we beat #2 LSU on 11/7 they really weren't #2 because they have lost their last two games since then? I am having a hard time with this logic.
I agree! I got in my vehicle the other day and the first thing I heard was how Bama has only one win against a top 25 team. That may be true today, but at the time we played a lot of our opponent, they WERE ranked...and then they played us. It makes me crazy.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU, Georgia, and TAMU all lost a bit of luster after the top-billing game against us but nobody has played as many solid teams as Alabama this year. Lets be real though: is Sparty's victory over a freshly 1-loss Buckeyes even as good of a win as LSU, TAMU, or UGA right now? OSU was not playing good football ALL YEAR, they just didn't play many teams who could exploit it until they caught Michigan State w/ a backup QB.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
People will skew facts around to suit them. We are the might Crimson Tide..So lets chill and take care of business.
THIS^^^^! We all know we are hated and let the haters hate. We just need to win 14 games and destroy our opponents and they cannot say anything. I think this team will destroy the rest of our opponents.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Ohio State would not beat Alabama this year. They're worse and we're better. Pure and simple. Last year is inconsequential.
Not trying to be difficult, but usually (except for Ole Miss) when a team beats Bama they have an especially hard time doing it again. We are playing very good these days, but somehow I think another shot at Ohio State would bring out the very best in the team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ohio State has plenty of talent, they're just not playing good football. I thought Alabama would destroy them in a rematch before they even loss to Michigan State.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I love all the "Bama Hate" cause it means we're doing what Bama does best..Win Win Win Win Win..The rest of college football was all giddy in the off-season because they were saying that Coach Saban was washed up because of the HUNH offenses, what does he do, he adjust his D to combat those HUNH offense with more explosive speed on the D-Line..And has unleashed perhaps the best D that college football has seen since our '92 D..The Process is alive & well..Bama Fatigue continues..Deal with it 'Haters..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Bama shut down 3, count 'em "3", Heisman contenders on 3 different teams. Two RB's and a QB. Once Bama finds, reveals and stresses the weak link in the chain all the subsequent teams just keep stretching that link. Hence the reason for those teams dropping in rank after BAMA!

JEEZ! Not just a BOX o' ROCKS but A WET BOX AT THAT!!!

RTR!!!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I can't understand this. We can't count previous rankings, only present rankings. Right. BUT NEXT WEEK WILL BE UNCOUNTABLE because it will be PAST. These people also believe ufo's have been taking folk for joy rides, I'll bet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Note that Mandel is actually taking up for us (yet again, he did it last week also).

But assuming we get there (I take nothing for granted) and play Oklahoma, y'all better get ready for:

1) Alabama hasn't beaten Oklahoma since (whenever - seriously, when was it? 1963?)

2) Oklahoma beat Tennessee by 7 on the road while Alabama only beat them by 5 at home (what won't get mentioned is that it took OU extra time and that the Vols had an off week before our game and we played them right after the UGA-Arkansas-ATM gauntlet)

3) 8 million references to the 'overrated' Alabama of the 2014 Sugar Bowl

As far as Ohio State - I have a buddy from New Knoxville who now lives in Jersey and we correspond about it. He said the team is lacking in leadership players this year that they had last year - that guys stepped up and took charge when it mattered.

I would throw in the fact its damned near impossible to win two in a row. Alabama is not the 'new normal' for national champions, we are the outlier. Look at the back-to-back champions since the AP poll started in 1936:

1940-41 Minnesota
1944-45 Army
1946-47 Notre Dame
1955-56 Oklahoma
1964-65 Alabama
1970-71 Nebraska
1978-79 Alabama
1994-95 Nebraska
2003-04 USC
2011-12 Alabama

Note that the first four of those were in the segregationist days and without being mean don't amount to much (cherish them but contextualize them), the 64-65 Alabama titles owe themselves solely to folks getting upset because the bowl games didn't count (completely unique situation), 78-79 Alabama was controversial due to the head-to-head loss to USC, and USC's was controversial because they didn't win the BCS. Even our last two can be chalked up to the luck of Ohio State being on probation in 2012.

In all seriousness, even the BEST teams that go back-to-back require a little luck. I'd have to hunt it but I very explicitly predicted on here that Ohio State would NOT get through the regular season unscathed even when many Tide fans here were ranting about their schedule.

And I'm a defender of them as a very good team, but they've never really clicked this year. At least when Florida slugged it out with close wins in 2006, it was because they had the toughest schedule in the nation. Ohio St was having trouble with teams their talent should easily have beaten this year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, I get this point - you can have a schedule before the season that looks incredibly challenging and then stuff happens that makes it rather soft. Auburn implodes to 3-9 when they're expected to contend or UGA loses Chubb and implodes. I think it all has to be looked at in context.

Many of the folks complaining about the Alabama schedule need to remember two very important things:

1) you folks complaining the Tide hasn't beaten teams still ranked are the same ones who declared us dead and buried and gone in September......this is not a reflection of Alabama, it's a reflection of the stupidity of pundits (I'm amazed at how the same clowns week after week can declare a team like UGA to be great and the moment we beat them it becomes "they weren't so great after all" - but all that proves is what a lousy pundit the pundit actually is

2) despite the whining, Alabama DOES NOT CONTROL the SEC portion of their schedule. Do any of you REALLY think Alabama would choose to play more games than anyone while facing RESTED TEAMS? OF COURSE NOT!!!! Regarding the OOC, the Tide blistered Wisconsin by 18 points in a game that wasn't that close.......the only other Badgers losses were by four to unbeaten Iowa and by six to Northwestern (poor Wisky has lost 3 games to teams with a combined record of 30-3). Nobody suggests MTSU, ULM, or CS are great teams but simply compare them with who Baylor, for example, plays out of conference.

Wanna know the last decent team Baylor faced outside the Big 12 in the regular season? I guess it was TCU in 2011, when the Frogs were in the MWC and defending Rose Bowl champions. Art Briles has become the masterful Bill Snyder of Waco - take over a moribound program, line up four suicide jockeys for your OOC and then figure if you go 2-6 in conference you can go to a bowl game (and really - with a conference featuring the likes of Iowa State and Kansas, you have your six wins and can try to beat whichever mid-level foe you get an extra week to prepare for.

Fact is that Alabama has played the toughest schedule in the nation thus far and stubbed its toe once. Still to come are a 6-5 team and a 10-2 or 11-1 team at a neutral site.

If the team wins out, it deserves the playoff spot it will get.

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA
That is the problem with 24/7 news ad naseum.And not just sports. There are ratings to be had, hrs of pablum to be dispensed and every angle gets used. I like Alabama's chances with anybody although obviously we are not unbeatable.
The SEC as a whole has brought this media wrath upon itself. The conference kicked butt for an extended period of time and fans rubbed the rest of college football's collective nose in it. Other conferences are more competitive now and wanna show us up.Last bowl season showed how vulnerable the SEC can be when you play teams with a chip on their shoulder in games we as fans see as important but perhaps the SEC representative had higher expectations than the" fill in the blank bowl"
I hope I didn't meander too far off the path here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.