I wont be shocked if Meyer pulls another "Florida".....

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
When he took the job I said wait until his 5th year and see what happens...
And we are approaching that and already beginning to see the same tell tale signs that led up to his Florida shenanigans.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Re: I wont be shocked if Meyer pulls another "Florida".....

People could say and have said that Saban bolted on LSU and Miami. You guys hating on Meyer are doing it for the same reason others hate Saban...Jealousy. I mean c'mon guys.
I have never been jealous of Meyer nor have I hid my distaste to what Saban did to LSU and Miami. However, Saban seems to have learned, but its yet to be seen if Meyer has.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Are you that dense or just that much of a homer?

He was at two schools for two years each. He goes to Florida and stays 5 years. He left under some questionable circumstances and the program in shambles.

Do you not see the difference?
He built those programs up at the outset of his career as a head coach. If anything, he was under even more pressure in those jobs than he currently faces at OSU. Now, Florida was a different story. That is when he took his huge step forward and the need to sustain surpassed his skill-set. But the narrative in this thread is that he has folded under pressure every time he has faced it in the past, so will fold today.

The reality - he has only folded once out of countless times in his career when a lesser man might have. He has decided to try again at OSU, and made it all the way back to the top of the mountain. He wouldn't be hated or scorned or anything else if he were stinking it up at OSU. He is hated because he is a GREAT head coach.

Don't call me names again - ever. I won't take that from you or anyone else. We can disagree as adults.

As for being a homer - have you even read my posts? Really?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

When is a 10-1 season 'The wheels coming off'? Not trying to be argumentative but they (tOSU) and Meyer are still in line for a New Years Six bowl and a Top 5 finish. Even if they lose to Mich....so what? 2 losses is not a Dumpster Fire.
It is when it's the only 2 real games on the schedule..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He built those programs up at the outset of his career as a head coach. If anything, he was under even more pressure in those jobs than he currently faces at OSU. Now, Florida was a different story. That is when he took his huge step forward and the need to sustain surpassed his skill-set. But the narrative in this thread is that he has folded under pressure every time he has faced it in the past, so will fold today.

The reality - he has only folded once out of countless times in his career when a lesser man might have. He has decided to try again at OSU, and made it all the way back to the top of the mountain. He wouldn't be hated or scorned or anything else if he were stinking it up at OSU. He is hated because he is a GREAT head coach.

Don't call me names again - ever. I won't take that from you or anyone else. We can disagree as adults.

Again, he was at those places for two years. People in this thread are saying the wheels came off at Florida the longer he stayed. If he stayed at a place for two years, how do you expect the wheels to come off?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Eh, nevermind..

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Another theory, is that Meyer may not know how to handle success long term. A lot of coaches don't. I just find it hard to believe that Ohio State is coming off a dominant Natty season, and this year, with almost everyone back, including that three headed monster at QB and Elliott, that they have looked so pedestrian all season. This isn't just about that loss to Michigan State, its the entire season. Ohio State looks like a 5 win team if they had played a tough schedule.

If Ohio State loses to Michigan, I see some real problems coming up for that program and they'll be spearheaded by Meyer himself.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Hey, I'm a Bama homer & proud of it. :)

I know it's tough to argue with the bunch of us, but being called a homer is pretty mild. Don't misinterpret us going after Urban as a personal attack on you, I would hate to see you feel unwelcome or stop posting.

You should have been around here back when Fulmer was doing his thing. You would have seen genuine hate.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Another theory, is that Meyer may not know how to handle success long term. A lot of coaches don't. I just find it hard to believe that Ohio State is coming off a dominant Natty season, and this year, with almost everyone back, including that three headed monster at QB and Elliott, that they have looked so pedestrian all season. This isn't just about that loss to Michigan State, its the entire season. Ohio State looks like a 5 win team if they had played a tough schedule.

If Ohio State loses to Michigan, I see some real problems coming up for that program and they'll be spearheaded by Meyer himself.
I think it speaks to how good the OC's have been. Dan Mullen was with Urban Meyer everywhere he went. All of the sudden Mullen leaves from the Florida OC position and the offense and team falls apart. Fast forward to Ohio State. Herman is the OC and everything is rolling along fine. Herman leaves and the offense and team are falling apart. Urban has been a product of his staff and in particular OC's more than anything else. Of course he gets credit for making those hires but Urban seems inept without a strong offensive mind on the staff..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Again, he was at those places for two years. People in this thread are saying the wheels came off at Florida the longer he stayed. If he stayed at a place for two years, how do you expect the wheels to come off?
This thread has wandered, and the points have varied depending on the poster. I stated long ago that Meyer is going to have to sustain at OSU to prove that he has that ability. You have no disagreement from me there. But the wheels coming off is an entirely different discussion. It has only happened to him once. There is no reason to believe that it will happen again unless you believe that Meyer is incapable of learning from his mistakes.

I know enough people who "know" Meyer to know that he is a jerk. He is not well liked anywhere. Worse, he showed with JT that he is willing to sacrifice right for winning. That has me worried far more than the statements made by Jones or Elliott. Because I can take losing. OSU will still be here when these guys are gone, and I will always love my alma mater.

I don't want the school's reputation stained again by a head coach who is willing to make these types of sacrifices to win games. One Tressell in my lifetime is one too many. At this point I am not sure where I stand on Meyer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think it speaks to how good the OC's have been. Dan Mullen was with Urban Meyer everywhere he went. All of the sudden Mullen leaves from the Florida OC position and the offense and team falls apart. Fast forward to Ohio State. Herman is the OC and everything is rolling along fine. Herman leaves and the offense and team are falling apart. Urban has been a product of his staff and in particular OC's more than anything else. Of course he gets credit for making those hires but Urban seems inept without a strong offensive mind on the staff..
I agree - he had 2 great OCs and the loss of Tom Herman has really hurt us this season. Not just for his play-calling. Herman is a leader.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I think Meyer is gonna be fine. Yes, what happened at Florida raises some eyebrows. But, I think this year has more to do with the pressure of being defending national champions rather than some kind of major internal issues. Repeating is tough. There is usually a lot of entitlement, overconfidence, and selfishness. We experienced that firsthand back in 2010. I think it's what really prepared us for 2011 and 2012.

B1G is right. Is it not possible Meyer has learned his lesson? We like to hope Saban has learned his. He's just defending his coach like any of us would defend ours.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

This thread has wandered, and the points have varied depending on the poster. I stated long ago that Meyer is going to have to sustain at OSU to prove that he has that ability. You have no disagreement from me there. But the wheels coming off is an entirely different discussion. It has only happened to him once. There is no reason to believe that it will happen again unless you believe that Meyer is incapable of learning from his mistakes.

I know enough people who "know" Meyer to know that he is a jerk. He is not well liked anywhere. Worse, he showed with JT that he is willing to sacrifice right for winning. That has me worried far more than the statements made by Jones or Elliott. Because I can take losing. OSU will still be here when these guys are gone, and I will always love my alma mater.

I don't want the school's reputation stained again by a head coach who is willing to make these types of sacrifices to win games. One Tressell in my lifetime is one too many. At this point I am not sure where I stand on Meyer.
Speaking of jerks, Ray Perkins had a personality that was often abrasive...some called him Perk the Jerk.
In poker terms, I'll see your Tressell with a DuBose, and raise you a Price. :)

I've also been critical of how Saban maintained he had no control over the Texas rumors when it was his agent planting them in the media.

As fans, we take the good with the bad, I can't criticize you for defending your program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.