Slick field - one of their trick plays?

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
This was posted by my cousin on Facebook. It says it is a picture from last Friday night.

What year did the Aubarn officals use water guns on the Georgia fans. To keep them off the field. I am not lying. It was on ESPN. At that my time was one thought what if they had done that to Bama fans, Would have been a war the following year.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I watched the replay tonight, and I honestly have never seen so many "grass stains" on our white jerseys as I saw in that game. Henry's uniform wasn't that white anymore after the game. Don't know what it was, but it didn't work.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I watched the replay tonight, and I honestly have never seen so many "grass stains" on our white jerseys as I saw in that game. Henry's uniform wasn't that white anymore after the game. Don't know what it was, but it didn't work.
Well, it kept the game a lot closer that it would have been otherwise, had they not soaked the field. I'm guessing somebody in charge at AU took the under on the points, and they won big. But I don't gamble on football, so I have no idea what the over/under number might have been. Before the game, I told my son Alabama should beat them 44-10.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I just had to jump to the end of this thread to say that this whole idea is absurd, and anyone from the outside looking will think we are wearing tinfoil hats and hoarding baked beans.

Yah, the field was slick. No, the grounds crew did not do a good job. It's their biggest game of the year so they probably tried something new to make the field fantastic and it backfired. End of conspiracy. Let's not lower ourselves into that muck. And if they did do it, let's not deign to their level by whining about it. Slick field or not - our running back posted over 200 yards on their sorry tails and we walked out of there with a big fat "W" on our way to an SEC Championship while they get to go back and clean up toilet paper.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just had to jump to the end of this thread to say that this whole idea is absurd, and anyone from the outside looking will think we are wearing tinfoil hats and hoarding baked beans.

Yah, the field was slick. No, the grounds crew did not do a good job. It's their biggest game of the year so they probably tried something new to make the field fantastic and it backfired. End of conspiracy. Let's not lower ourselves into that muck. And if they did do it, let's not deign to their level by whining about it. Slick field or not - our running back posted over 200 yards on their sorry tails and we walked out of there with a big fat "W" on our way to an SEC Championship while they get to go back and clean up toilet paper.
I think what you're seeing as conspiracy-minded is because they've pulled similar tricks in the past. In fact, the first thing which came to my mind was the interstate slow-down they pulled a very few years ago. Maybe you're just not familiar with them. Having observed this rivalry since 1957, when I was a freshman, I put nothing past them. BTW, they do not roll Toomer's corner when they lose...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

You admit the field was slick. If that's the case, wouldn't Auburn players be slipping just as much as Alabama players if they weren't expecting a slick field?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is a two part thing.

A: Was the field slick? Yes, we all saw that. It was the worst field conditions I saw all year, and that includes Alabama playing in the rain.

B: How did it happen? That's where the valid questions come into play. Like I said earlier, either someone needs to be fired because they are completely incompetent, or it was done deliberately.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think what you're seeing as conspiracy-minded is because they've pulled similar tricks in the past. In fact, the first thing which came to my mind was the interstate slow-down they pulled a very few years ago. Maybe you're just not familiar with them. Having observed this rivalry since 1957, when I was a freshman, I put nothing past them. BTW, they do not roll Toomer's corner when they lose...
You admit the field was slick. If that's the case, wouldn't Auburn players be slipping just as much as Alabama players if they weren't expecting a slick field?
Really, I do respect the knowledge and insight both of you bring to these forums and I am NOT saying that Auburn as a team is above trickery - but I can not, with whatever mental faculties I possess, allow myself to believe that the Auburn football program attempted to derail a game by employing a tactic more suited to Wile-E-Coyote or Bugs Bunny than a functioning human being.

Derrick Henry is a 240 pound behemoth with 4.37 speed cutting at sharp angles on grass. Frankly it's a miracle he didn't slip sooner. The same could be said of Jeremy Johnson when he slipped. I could explain it by saying that Auburn has played on the field more and knows where and how it gives. You'd probably ask why other teams haven't slipped as much and I'd point back to what I said before about Derrick Henry and the preposterousness that is his physics.

While Henry's was more high profile I saw equal amounts of footing give on both sides of the ball.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Really, I do respect the knowledge and insight both of you bring to these forums and I am NOT saying that Auburn as a team is above trickery - but I can not, with whatever mental faculties I possess, allow myself to believe that the Auburn football program attempted to derail a game by employing a tactic more suited to Wile-E-Coyote or Bugs Bunny than a functioning human being.

Derrick Henry is a 240 pound behemoth with 4.37 speed cutting at sharp angles on grass. Frankly it's a miracle he didn't slip sooner. The same could be said of Jeremy Johnson when he slipped. I could explain it by saying that Auburn has played on the field more and knows where and how it gives. You'd probably ask why other teams haven't slipped as much and I'd point back to what I said before about Derrick Henry and the preposterousness that is his physics.

While Henry's was more high profile I saw equal amounts of footing give on both sides of the ball.
First, I don't recall a game outside maybe the UGA game where Derrick Henry slipped as much as he did Saturday. He wasn't the only Alabama player slipping, either. If his physics are to blame, he would have slipped numerous times in every game over the last three years. He hasn't, though.

Second, when did Jeremy Johnson slip? I only saw him get in the fetal position anytime he saw Timmy Williams or A'Shawn get within 3 yards of him.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
First, I don't recall a game outside maybe the UGA game where Derrick Henry slipped as much as he did Saturday. He wasn't the only Alabama player slipping, either. If his physics are to blame, he would have slipped numerous times in every game over the last three years. He hasn't, though.

Second, when did Jeremy Johnson slip? I only saw him get in the fetal position anytime he saw Timmy Williams or A'Shawn get within 3 yards of him.
JJ did slip on a play late in the game. I don't recall the exact play but I believe it was a 3rd down and the slip probably prevented him getting the 1st down.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
lol. So true. As imaufan mentioned above he did have a slip later on. My current work circumstances prevent from combing the game replay to find exactly where but I remember it clearly because it was comforting to see that Alabama wasn't the only one suffering from the slickness.

My point was that his physics COMBINED with the field's slickness. I hope someone can find the clip of Jeremy Johnson slipping to add another angle for consideration.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.