Slick field - one of their trick plays?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The reason we suspect is that if it was rain then in theory it should affect both eqyually. But it was only Alabama slipping until the sun went down and the. JJ and the ref both slipped.

Looked fishy to me.
Yep, I had my suspicions the entire game. I've never seen Derek lose traction so many times. Auburn players would know to wear long cleats if the field had been soaked.

tmv85

All-SEC
EARLY in the game, one of our guys slipped, and I wondered why, but I didn't say anything about it. A short time later, my husband said something about it, so I knew then it wasn't just me. We've had NO rain here lately, and the barn players sure weren't slipping. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'd not be surprised if they wet the field thinking it would give them an edge.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I assume they soaked it down with the sprinklers all night and day because it was also wet where the cheerleaders were standing. My family was commenting about the cheerleaders standing in mud.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My first thought was that they over sowed it with winter rye. That stuff is slick as owl crap.

Then it could have been the field paint as well.

One thing for certain. That surface changed a bunch from the Idaho game.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
NCAA regs...
Field Areas
ARTICLE 9. a. No material or device shall be used to improve or degrade the playing
surface or other conditions and give one player or team an advantage (Exceptions:
Rules 2-16-4-b and c).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
NCAA regs...
Field Areas
ARTICLE 9. a. No material or device shall be used to improve or degrade the playing
surface or other conditions and give one player or team an advantage (Exceptions:
Rules 2-16-4-b and c).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm sure they will just say they overseeded with rye grass and needed to water it.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I must admit the thought of intentional field conditions crossed my mind. Where I'm from it is not uncommon for high schools to manipulate field conditions to suit their needs... One even had the local fire dept. "help" the field before a game against the best RB in the state.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The ref slipping was on the tarp which can be very slick and had nothing to do with the field. My friend and I were texting about the field and could only come up with a couple of guesses. It was very warm and if the humidity was high that could be part of it, or if they had overseeded with rye grass that could be it, or too much paint to make the field look good this time of year.
My guess is paint and humidity combined....
Wet shoes running onto that tarp and trying to stop is what caused him to fall.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I'm sure they will just say they overseeded with rye grass and needed to water it.
Yeah, to get a head start on having the field ready for the next time All-bran puts on the pads, their spring game. Wait a minute, forgot they're bowl-eligible - I was going by their 2-9 SEC record since last year. But keep that on the QT, as Mewlzahn needs to keep both 'Bama's support for the job he's doing down and keep the job, period, down there for at least a few more years.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Wet shoes running onto that tarp and trying to stop is what caused him to fall.
If this is true, because the official could have been seriously injured, I would expect a full investigation by the SEC office. The sideline tarp is covered with spilled water/Gatorade and is ultra slick.
Still will go with paint as the primary reason, and then combined with humidity.
Heck, we whipped their butt and don't need to invent a reason that we could have beaten them worse.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
My first thought was rye grass. I remember watching a Blue-Gray game in Crampton Bowl many years ago and watching players slip like they were on ice. I walked down to where I could see the field, and it was freshly sprouted rye. I wouldn't doubt that there was a little irrigational assistance as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.