Slick field - one of their trick plays?

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I agree with RTO. Go through walk throughs the day before, pick your cleats based off that, then get out there before the game going WTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about that too when i saw Henry slip alot in first half, but wouldn't we have noticed this (slick field, affecting cuts and plants) during warm-ups before the game? Listen, i would never put it past Auburn to pull a stunt like soaking the field, but i guarantee you we had brought different cleats to deal with any possible situation like this. We don't need to feed their egos by making ourselves look like paranoid conspiracy theorists. if they broke any regulations, I'm sure Nick has already reported it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I thought about that too when i saw Henry slip alot in first half, but wouldn't we have noticed this (slick field, affecting cuts and plants) during warm-ups before the game? Listen, i would never put it past Auburn to pull a stunt like soaking the field, but i guarantee you we had brought different cleats to deal with any possible situation like this. We don't need to feed their egos by making ourselves look like paranoid conspiracy theorists. if they broke any regulations, I'm sure Nick has already reported it.
They're already taped and ready by warm ups. This is a large undertaking, it's not like the players tape themselves up.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
They're already taped and ready by warm ups. This is a large undertaking, it's not like the players tape themselves up.

We could handle it. Even if the training staff had to do it (key) player by player on the sidelines while the game was going on. I'm just saying, i don't think Saban would give the game away just because it might be tough to change our cleats if it was that important. He'd get it done.

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I was listening to Eli during the 1st quarter and start of 2nd quarter. It seems like he said something about there is a rule that once the game starts you can't change your cleat size, but you can change your shoes. Just throwing that out there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Henry's feet/ankles were very heavily taped. I wonder if that made it even worse for him because the tape wrapped under the shoes, raising the arch area and reducing the effectiveness of the cleats. But they didn't remove or reduce the amount of tape.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I was listening to Eli during the 1st quarter and start of 2nd quarter. It seems like he said something about there is a rule that once the game starts you can't change your cleat size, but you can change your shoes. Just throwing that out there.

Not exactly true. The NZAA has mandated cleat size, so they are all the same. You can change to a different style, of shoe, but the cleats will be the same length.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I wonder, besides adjustments, if the slick field also effected the defensive line. Maybe they couldn't get the push they needed on unsure ground.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Not exactly true. The NZAA has mandated cleat size, so they are all the same. You can change to a different style, of shoe, but the cleats will be the same length.

I am in need of education here. So there is one cleat length size. What are the styles?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There was no reason for the field to be that wet but it was that wet. We all know why it was that way. They were looking for any advantage possible and they decided to try to muck up the game a little bit. It hurt us a few times on Henry's cutbacks but several of their big negative plays on offense were affected a bit by it also. I'd say at least two of their sacks were on Johnson slipping a bit or straight up falling over.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Ask Eli.......just relaying what I heard on the game. Change was made a few years ago, and seems no one noticed.
ok. I will investigate, I always thought there was a turf shoe, a wet shoe and dry shoe like tires. I heard Eli make that statement, and I was one of the first to flat out say that I though Auburn had manipulated the field on the game thread. I had never seen a field that slippery in dry conditions, and Auburn is the lowest of the low, and that was the perfect idea to neutralize the game. It may have back fired, due to Henry's unique running style. He adjusted and then mowed them over.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I watched the replay and see nothing on TV that tells me the field muddy or saturated with water. Also, I can't tell for sure if that is painted bemuda grass or rye....but either one can make the field slick. Also noticed that DH's cleats were heavily taped over and that could have been a factor...But yet he rushed for zillion yards.

If they watered the field to slow us down A) it didn't work and B) shame on them.

Some of the comments about bottoms of shoes being green are just silly. Again, we beat them (and badly in the stat department) and need no "excuses" for not beating them worse.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I thought I read something that said we changed cleats in 2Q or halftime. I'm pretty sure our awesome semi full of equipment includes long cleats. If that's not allowed by rule as some posit, then so be it because the crappy Barn backers and safeties had to adjust to jukes from our players.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I watched the replay and see nothing on TV that tells me the field muddy or saturated with water. Also, I can't tell for sure if that is painted bemuda grass or rye....but either one can make the field slick.
I watched the game and I saw more slipping then during the Georgia game. You know the one played in a downpour...

I can't explain exactly why the surface was so bad, but it clearly, and obviously was. The players noticed, the fans noticed, and at least Eli noticed. I also doubt seriously it was coincidence, you don't do something that impacts the field like that on accident... without getting fired at least.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The field was neither wet nor muddy - look at the players' uniforms. Not sure why it was slick, but it was not wet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.