Coker scramble/td pass play is amazing when watching replay:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Jake eluded not only one consensus 5* in Carl Lawson, but a second consensus 5* in Byron Cowart.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jake eluded not only one consensus 5* in Carl Lawson, but a second consensus 5* in Byron Cowart.
I think that he did the same thing earlier in the game, but he ended up scrambling and picking up about 9 yards.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I guess when a receiver has to reach back to catch a pass, he ran the wrong route. There are all kind of excuses that can be made, but the truth of the matter is, Coke is slow getting the ball out, he throws too high, and many passes are behind the receiver. The reason Stewart is on the field is because he is the best blocking receiver on the team.
Yeah we should start Bateman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I guess when a receiver has to reach back to catch a pass, he ran the wrong route. There are all kind of excuses that can be made, but the truth of the matter is, Coke is slow getting the ball out, he throws too high, and many passes are behind the receiver. The reason Stewart is on the field is because he is the best blocking receiver on the team.

And yet, he has helped lead us to a berth in the SECCG. Who would you rather have in there?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yesterday, I took the time to watch the game tapes of Coker since Georgia and I can honestly say this with confidence that Coker has improved 110 percent since that game. he's very decisive on the LOS, changing plays when needed. He's making confidence throws. He's commanding the team in the huddle and we all know his performance against Tennessee, Georgia and how he drove down the field and with that in mind, I know Charleston was a pick up scrimmage game, but I loved how Coker drove the team down the field every single time he got on the field and it helped him a lot in the Auburn game.

He made plenty of big time throws in the Auburn game... The first half throw to Stewart was money but he dropped the ball. That deep pass to Ridley was beauiful and then that scramble where Coker threw for TD nailed it for me.

I'll put this out right now.. I know our receivers are inconsistent, and all, but Ya'll gotta admit Coker improved a lot... That Georgia game did wonder for him. I think we play much better when we're on road or in netural environment and it helps Coker a lot. IF Coker plays well this weekend and get hot during playoff run, then hhe will find a home in NFL.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You can say the same for some of the Qbs in the college.. some are slow, some are inaccurate, some are scared, some has no leadership, etc etc... YOu can either focus on negative attirbutes or you can focus on positive attirbutes... You decide that. For most of us, we're going to focus on positive only... Coker's leadership, his will to win, willing to take blame for the team, has improved a lot on throwing ball. FYI... On that throw to ridley in Auburn game... it was on spot. That throw to stewart, it was on spot. We always want the receiver to make play by high pointing the ball... Any lower it could've been intercepted...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In order to keep this thread about Coker, I'm opening a new thread on the OL, so this thread can be devoted to Coker, without constant references back to the OL and the reasons Coker had to scramble...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Jake comes from the Pat Trammell school of quarterbacking. His release is slow. The coaches give him very few opportunities to rip it downfield, and he threw two or three end-over-ends Saturday that happily hit the ground.

But ...

Since getting the chance, he has made and continues to make big plays. This weekend against Florida, he can't hit DBs in the hands and expect them to drop the ball. Short of that, a very good team and coaching staff believes in him. I don't think he's a pro prospect, but he is The Guy for us this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Jake comes from the Pat Trammell school of quarterbacking. His release is slow. The coaches give him very few opportunities to rip it downfield, and he threw two or three end-over-ends Saturday that happily hit the ground.

But ...

Since getting the chance, he has made and continues to make big plays. This weekend against Florida, he can't hit DBs in the hands and expect them to drop the ball. Short of that, a very good team and coaching staff believes in him. I don't think he's a pro prospect, but he is The Guy for us this year.
I want to point out few things. Did anyone even notice that Auburn had a player way back to prevent a deep ball? Ever since the Georgia Game, They have tried to take away the passing ball down on the field. I don't think Coaches limited the deep ball passes, but it was more of what take what defense gives us.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I want to point out few things. Did anyone even notice that Auburn had a player way back to prevent a deep ball? Ever since the Georgia Game, They have tried to take away the passing ball down on the field. I don't think Coaches limited the deep ball passes, but it was more of what take what defense gives us.

Most of our passes are quick slants or flanker screens or jet sweeps. We take very few shots even of 15 or 20 yards ... either because of the offensive line or Jake's ability to see the field.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
yeah, on that run they had him dead to rights and hit him hard once (maybe twice). i thought he was down for sure
That nine-yard scramble is one of our team's top individual efforts of the year. Watch the replay, and you see all those Auburn fans rising to their feets then .... oh no.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It was definitely not the case last year with Blake.
You know Offense was adjusted to fit QB's strength. blake can run. He ran a lot last year. He can throw deep balls. He had accurary issues at time.. but we ran most of the similar plays that we ran.. but only thing difference we tweaked to fit Sims' strength, just as this yera was tweaked to Fit Coker's arm... Now, he's playing well lately, so I would imagine that they will adjust again to allow him to grow before we begin playoff.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.