Coker scramble/td pass play is amazing when watching replay:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I'm floored that Coker didn't slip down on that play. He definately had ample opportunity to fall down on it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't know how to put a video on here, but that play when I watch it on replay over and over is just plain amazing. Not sure I can put it in the same category as the barn's TD catch, which is more of a miracle catch.

If you recorded the game, go back and watch that play. Nobody even touches Carl Lawson(the best player those boogers have on the DL), I mean nobody even waves at him. It looks like our Right Tackle doesn't even know what the play is. The boogs are playing a 5 man front. He has Carl lawson to his outside, 9 is lined up in front of him. He engages 9 and then lets him go and blocks down on the interior dl, as if he expects someone else to block the two DL to the outside. Hello, there is nobody to block either of them. There are H-backs and TEs, but they are going out into the route tree. The QB is rolling to that side!!!! Why are you blocking down to the opposite side and letting 2 DL free range to the side the QB is rolling out to??? It is only an extraordinary play for Coker to avoid both these DL that our RT left unblocked and it results in a TD.
Great play by Coker, but I would surely love to be a fly on the wall when the o-line sits down with the coach to discuss this play. I'd want to ask, "Okay, who did you think was going to block the two pass rushers to your outside?"
I realize these are young men and prone to the occasional mistake, but I'd love to hear what the thought process was on this play.
That is a lot of pass-rushing beefcake to leave unblocked to the side the QB is rolling out to. We are fortunate that this did not result in a blindside hit and a fumble.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It took part of our season, but Jake Coker has proved himself as someone who can lead us to a championship.
Remember that the line on Jake was that he had lead feet and couldn't run. He can run enough. He's big enough to shed arm tackles. Jake can throw. I don't care if people want to call him a 'Game Manager'... AJ McCarron was a Game Manager thru a couple of BCS championships. Maybe Jake has one in him... We surly better hope so...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think through intelligence that Coker has adapted to what we need as a quarterback this year. His brother is an officer and aviator in the military and it does not take long to see that Coker is smart. Smart goes a long way in the Saban system. I am not the only one to notice that Coker is pretty consistent now, much more so that Blake, who was hot and cold. Alabama is a machine, and Coker 16-27 one TD no int, a few scrambles, and he takes us home.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Coker has the best blend of physical abilities out of any QB in the CNS era. Size, strength, mobility and arm strength. He also has pretty good intangibles. I'm not saying he is the best QB of the CNS era but I believe he has the highest ceiling. TBD what his legacy and final placement will be. If Bama wins the SECCG and then Bama wins 2 playoff games (and Coker plays well) and win the NC it will be hard to not put Coker towards the top of the list of QBs under CNS. This is very premature but if all that happened I would rank them (in order) McCarron, Coker, Sims then McElroy..

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Untangling this thread is impossible. The original title is misleading. It was supposed to be about Coker, but it became evident early on that it was really about OL breakdowns. A lot of QB highlights come on plays where protection has broken down. Johnny Manziel feasted off it. In this case, if we're going to talk about Coker, let's talk about Coker and his magnificent play. Let's not use that as a back door to talk about our OL weaknesses. I'm not saying we don't have them. We do. And no player's performance is above criticism. I'm just saying let's start a separate thread about the OL (and OL coaching, IMO), rather than taking away from Coker's play. On this play, he did not have a long windup. I'm not sure how you'd do that while throwing on the dead run without falling down, anyway. TBF, I do not notice that his windup on short and medium passes is any longer Freddyesque. On long passes, every QB must wind up longer for distance and pass pro and PA must provide those two extra seconds. All in all, I think he's proved to be the perfect QB for our personnel, and our present QB stable. Blake turned out to be so last year. If Jake could have come in with the spring, instead of fall, it might have been a different season, whether better or worse. He made one TD throw and another which should have been, if the receiver could hold on to a ball already in his possession. (Same receiver, BTW.) If he keeps developing, I think we can make some real noise in the post-season...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think we can make some real noise in the post-season...
Coker was facing an uphill battle with team chemistry last year. He was a stranger. That is a good point about missing spring. We won the SEC last year, Auburn would have ignored chemistry and flopped. Coker is having to play his career in one season, and is hitting his stride.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Coker has the best blend of physical abilities out of any QB in the CNS era. Size, strength, mobility and arm strength. He also has pretty good intangibles. I'm not saying he is the best QB of the CNS era but I believe he has the highest ceiling. TBD what his legacy and final placement will be. If Bama wins the SECCG and then Bama wins 2 playoff games (and Coker plays well) and win the NC it will be hard to not put Coker towards the top of the list of QBs under CNS. This is very premature but if all that happened I would rank them (in order) McCarron, Coker, Sims then McElroy..
He could've, probably should've, had two interceptions. The play right after the dropped touchdown pass when Mulaney slipped, and the part where he threw the slant behind Mulaney and he tipped the ball. Both times the ball hit auburn defenders and thankfully fell to the ground incomplete.

Coker is light years better now than at the beginning of the season. It's been an amazing journey for him I'm sure. His toughness and grit have won over the team and the fans. I just wish he could anticipate a little better on the short routes and throw to where they are going to be, not where they are when he decides to throw.

I've always said that pound for pound Croyle had the strongest arm in Alabama history, maybe even in the history of college football. Coker's arm is up there as well, even for his size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is not much of a QB year, Coker could be a late round draft pick if he keeps adding to his resume. Not so much stats, but the highlights. The end of the Tenn game, and his scrambles to get out of trouble and deliver. He is durable, that's for sure.
Phillip Sims was on a roster in the pre-season. There's no doubt in my mind that Coker will in the very least be signed as a free agent. He'll get a look, he has all the physical tools they look for.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I agree that the play was his best at Alabama. As for the NFL - he has the physical tools. I am just not sure that the game has slowed down enough for him. It is even faster in the NFL.
I think he just hasn't really had enough PT. He's a fifth year senior and it's his first season to play significant snaps. He may get a look; but it's going to be hard for him based on his lack of PT in college.

What he's accomplished when you consider the pass blocking (or lack of) from our OL is really impressive.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think our receivers are a big reason for Coke's success. They have adjusted to his high throws and/or behind the receiver throws.
So what do you think of the drops?

The receivers have been injured and are inexperienced. They are talented but they the position has hardly produced flawless results. How many times have they run the wrong routes as well?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So what do you think of the drops?

The receivers have been injured and are inexperienced. They are talented but they the position has hardly produced flawless results. How many times have they run the wrong routes as well?
Aside from Stewart, you have not had much of this in the last 4-5 games. For Stewart - an amazing talent, but wildly inconsistent. If I were Kiffin I wouldn't even have him on the field on 3rd down because he can't even be trusted to be on the same page with Coker, much less make a catch in a critical spot. Great home run threat, but not a "possession" receiver, IMO.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I guess when a receiver has to reach back to catch a pass, he ran the wrong route. There are all kind of excuses that can be made, but the truth of the matter is, Coke is slow getting the ball out, he throws too high, and many passes are behind the receiver. The reason Stewart is on the field is because he is the best blocking receiver on the team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.