Question: How good is Oklahoma?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think I'm on record as saying I'm not a big fan of Bob Stoops. He brought the Sooner program back from the grave following probation, much like Saban did for the Tide. For that I am grateful. I think he got complacent, I think his teams did the same. Maybe he got his mojo back, maybe not.
Thanks - wasn't sure how you felt about him. I have seen coaching egos wreck things at OSU. The Sooners are one of the storied programs and deserve a great head coach.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
What about having to play them in Dallas in the first round? Would that be an advantage for them? I do think Bama fans travel well....

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
They look pretty good to me based on Baker Mayfield. The kid is good.
It's now proven though!
If Mayfield gets hurt their in BIG TROUBLE, Knight just can't lead that team,
maybe if he were given a week or two, but coming in cold to that (TCU) game, he was like LOST.
If Patterson (TCU) had gone for the tie and gone into OT, one wonders what would have happened!

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I think I'm on record as saying I'm not a big fan of Bob Stoops. He brought the Sooner program back from the grave following probation, much like Saban did for the Tide. For that I am grateful. I think he got complacent, I think his teams did the same. Maybe he got his mojo back, maybe not.
No fan either, but all-in-all he's a very good coach!
But even for an 'ALPHA-MALE' he's one of the most obnoxious and arrogant coaches I have seen and listened to in my 75 yrs. on this here earth!
Reminds me of Tom Osborne...another blow-hard! Of course I tend to go with the likes of 'BEAR' & 'BUD'...! :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's now proven though!
maybe if he were given a week or two, but coming in cold to that (TCU) game, he was like LOST.
If Patterson (TCU) had gone for the tie and gone into OT, one wonders what would have happened!
I agree, but what happens to Alabama is Henry goes down to injury?

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Greetings from the Texas Riviera. It's been a while since I posted on here but it looks like we are on a collision course to renew old acquaintances so I thought I'd stop by and get involved in the dialogue.

I hope some here who remember me from past posts know how much I respect Alabama. I think our two programs are mirror images of each other. As someone who is old enough to have watched Bud and Barry's Sooners in person I believe that Bob Stoops will retire as the best HC OU has ever had. This takes nothing away from Bud or Barry or Benny Owen for that matter but none of our previous iconic HC's had to deal with the college game as it is today......scholly limitations, social media, advanced schemes that put tremendous pressure on the most talented teams, and win or go home attitudes flamed by a playoff system that makes every game critical.

Stoops does have somewhat of a prickly personality but it is mainly targeted at a local media that is, putting it as politely as possible, inept. His comments about the SEC have never been to the detriment of the Tide. All he has ever said was that overall the SEC had its bottom feeders just like all conferences. This year has been one of his best if not his best coaching jobs. He is extremely loyal to his staff but he had to make some very difficult decisions, not just this past year but it started 2-3 years ago when he let some longtime assistants go.

This is the overall best team we have had since the 2008 squad with Bradford, DeMarco Murray, and Jermaine Gresham. Its by far the best D we've had since Bob's early years. Playing D in the Big 12 is a nightmare scenario that puts tremendous stress on teams but this D has played very well under the circumstances. Once the final 4 is set I will try and give everyone my thoughts on the 2015 Sooners. Looking forward to a playoff that hopefully puts the Tide and the Sooners on the same field again.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Greetings from the Texas Riviera. It's been a while since I posted on here but it looks like we are on a collision course to renew old acquaintances so I thought I'd stop by and get involved in the dialogue.

I hope some here who remember me from past posts know how much I respect Alabama. I think our two programs are mirror images of each other. As someone who is old enough to have watched Bud and Barry's Sooners in person I believe that Bob Stoops will retire as the best HC OU has ever had. This takes nothing away from Bud or Barry or Benny Owen for that matter but none of our previous iconic HC's had to deal with the college game as it is today......scholly limitations, social media, advanced schemes that put tremendous pressure on the most talented teams, and win or go home attitudes flamed by a playoff system that makes every game critical.

Stoops does have somewhat of a prickly personality but it is mainly targeted at a local media that is, putting it as politely as possible, inept. His comments about the SEC have never been to the detriment of the Tide. All he has ever said was that overall the SEC had its bottom feeders just like all conferences. This year has been one of his best if not his best coaching jobs. He is extremely loyal to his staff but he had to make some very difficult decisions, not just this past year but it started 2-3 years ago when he let some longtime assistants go.

This is the overall best team we have had since the 2008 squad with Bradford, DeMarco Murray, and Jermaine Gresham. Its by far the best D we've had since Bob's early years. Playing D in the Big 12 is a nightmare scenario that puts tremendous stress on teams but this D has played very well under the circumstances. Once the final 4 is set I will try and give everyone my thoughts on the 2015 Sooners. Looking forward to a playoff that hopefully puts the Tide and the Sooners on the same field again.
Great to see you posting again Owen. Yep, it looks like we get to strap it up against each other at some point as long as we keep winning. It will certainly be another UA vs OU matchup for the ages.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
They are the best in the big 12 without a doubt. Probably better than anyone in the sec except Bama. Defense is good but somewhat questionable. They are playing the best football overall right now. Will be one of the toughest draws in the playoff, so will Bama, so they'll probably put us together in round one in the cotton bowl.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Eric Striker and Charles Tapper are beasts in OU's front 7. However, we have several Eric Strikers and Charles Tappers in our front 7. I think that tells the whole tale.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Eric Striker and Charles Tapper are beasts in OU's front 7. However, we have several Eric Strikers and Charles Tappers in our front 7. I think that tells the whole tale.
Looking at the rosters, not only is Alabama much deeper but you have better starters at almost every position. Still, one key position in which they have the edge is QB.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Looking at the rosters, not only is Alabama much deeper but you have better starters at almost every position. Still, one key position in which they have the edge is QB.
Yep, this is true. Coker is going to need to have a mistake free playoff for us to win it all. I think as long as he doesn't throw any INT's, we'll be fine. He just needs to be efficient.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It's now proven though!
Knight led them to victory over us in the 2014 Sugar Bowl.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Texas didn't think they were all that "good."
The black bears didn't think we were either. Yep, that is a bad loss to a bad team but we let one slip to OU in the Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago. We were clearly the better team but got out coached that night.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
As for the playoff seeding, I hope we get them in the semis. I would much rather our staff to have as much prep time as possible to deal with OU offense. I would think that CNS will have a preliminary gameplan set aside for the teams in the other bracket and dust off the one he needs. There's, what 8-10 days between rounds to implement your gameplan for the final.

I haven't watched much of Clemson or Oklahoma this yr. Is the consensus on TF that OU has the more dynamic offense?

22Musso22

The black bears didn't think we were either. Yep, that is a bad loss to a bad team but we let one slip to OU in the Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago. We were clearly the better team but got out coached that night.
Regardless, I think Oklahoma is overrated. Just My Humble Opinion.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Since there's a sub-thread here about Stoops and the SEC, let me address it and why it rubs so many of us the wrong way.

1) Stoops is the one who started the whole fracas.

Now keep something in mind - when Stoops opened his mouth (May 2013), the SEC had won every single national title since 2006 (seven in a row) and had beaten Big 12 teams head-to-head in the title game twice (and a third when Saban beat Stoops in 2003). Rather than keeping his mouth shut, this is what Stoops said:

"You’re listening to a lot of propaganda that gets fed out to you. You’re more than smart enough to figure it out," Stoops told the Tulsa World. "Again, you can look at the top two, three, four, five, six teams, and you can look at the bottom six, seven, eight, whatever they are. How well are they all doing?"

Stoops's point was to try and argue that the Big 12 is a harder conference because in their conference, Kansas can beat Oklahoma but in the SEC, Vandy is not going to beat Alabama. Contextually, he was referring to the fact that in 2012, the bottom six of the SEC was 0-30 against the top half.

He should have just kept his mouth shut. First of all, since OU was at the time in the midst of multiple shellackings at the hand of the SEC (in fact, the last game Stoops had coached was a 41-13 jackhammer job by Johnny Football at the end of 2012).

In fact, if OU is better because they play in a tougher conference, shouldn't they have manhandled ATM, who was something like the fifth best team in the SEC that year?

Charlie Weis jumped on board with it - I mean, who really cares what Charlie Weis of all people thinks? This guy has been a failure at every single collegiate stop he's made. If he wasn't riding the coattails of his time with Belichick, he'd be pumping gas between stops at the buffet line at Cici's.

2) You simply cannot argue with the numbers - the SEC has PWNED the Big 12 for about the last decade.

I keep a running tally. Wanna know what the record is of head-to-head competition between the Big 12 and SEC since 1996?

Try this:
SEC 33 wins
Big 12 20 wins

But here's where Stoops looks like nothing but a whining little baby:

SEC vs Big 12 (2006-12) - chosen because he shot his mouth off after the 2012 season:

During this time frame, it wasn't even close.

WINS
SEC 14
Big 12 3

Not only that, but look at the three wins they had:

1) Okie State over Alabama in the 2006 Independence Bowl (a game won on the last play)
2) Big 12 co-champion Texas demolishing 5-7 Arkansas, 52-10 (yeah, that's reasonable......your best clobbers one of our worst, whoop de do)
3) Okie State over UGA, 24-10, in 2009

However, let's look at the ENTIRE ledger for the time frame in question:

Texas A/M 41 Oklahoma 13

Arkansas 29 K-State 16
Arkansas 42 Texas A/M 38

LSU 41 Texas A/M 24 (even teams)

Arkansas 47 Texas A/M 19
Oklahoma State 24 Georgia 10
Georgia 44 Texas A/M 20
Ole Miss 21 Okie State 7
Alabama 37 Texas 21

#2 Florida 21 #1 Oklahoma 14
Texas (13-1) 52 Arkansas 10
Ole Miss 47 Texas Tech (11-2) 34

Georgia 35 OK State (7-6) 14
Alabama (7-6) 30 Colorado (6-7) 24

Auburn 17 Nebraska (9-5) 14
OK State (7-6) 34 Alabama (6-7) 31
Georgia 14 Colorado (2-10) 13

Note that in two of these 14 wins, the SEC won the national championship head-to-head with the Big 12, both times by double digit margins.

If Stoops wants to argue 'statistics' and say 'it's top heavy,' maybe he needs to likewise explain why his conference was getting creamed at the exact same time. ONE-LOSS Texas Tech got absolutely slaughtered by FOUR-LOSS Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl in 2009.

At the time Stoops opened his mouth, the Big 12 was in the middle of a 3-14 stretch. Since that time, the Big 12 lead the SEC in head-to-head match-ups by the landslide margin of 5-4, which includes their 2-0 record this year (Tech beating Arky and OU beating Tennessee).

He simply should have shut up and coached his football team. He needs to get over his 'greatest team of all-time' getting their manhood taken away by LSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.