Question: How good is Oklahoma?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If we run the ball, stop their run, and win the turnover battle, we're gonna win.

And if we don't, we don't deserve to win.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
As for the playoff seeding, I hope we get them in the semis. I would much rather our staff to have as much prep time as possible to deal with OU offense.
I agree with this sentiment. Playing them in the semis probably gives us a better chance. There are only 3 teams that truly scare me, Ohio St, Stanford, and Oklahoma. I'm probably being an arrogant fan, but Mich St, Iowa, and Clemson just don't worry me.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
What about having to play them in Dallas in the first round? Would that be an advantage for them? I do think Bama fans travel well....
Jerry World will be configured for about 90k fans. Each team probably will get 20K tickets. Cowboys season ticket holders in the lower bowl and 300 level club seats (approx 35k in total) will get the option to buy tickets. The other 15K will be corporate sponsors/media etc.

The 35K controlled by the season ticket holders are the ones that can change the crowd balance. Most will sell them online to the highest bidder... However, some UT and aTm fans may go out of their way to sell to BAMA fans only....

Seeing how BAMA had an advantage in tix sold by the season ticket holders against Michigan in 2012 and Wiscy this year, I think we will get our fair share and the crowd may slightly favor OU but minimal, maybe 48K-42K.

22Musso22

I agree with this sentiment. Playing them in the semis probably gives us a better chance. There are only 3 teams that truly scare me, Ohio St, Stanford, and Oklahoma. I'm probably being an arrogant fan, but Mich St, Iowa, and Clemson just don't worry me.
Scare you?
Do you think Nick Saban is scared by any of those teams?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
How good are they?
They'll find out soon enough. I do think the committee will try to protect the other teams by pairing us. Honestly OK or Bama
should be 1-2 on Tuesday and Clemson 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I would put my money on Oklahoma to win the championship this year unless Mayfield gets hurt. They're playing like Texas A&M circa 2011 but with better RBs and a better D. I don't think Bama can beat them. I just hope we don't face them. I have no fear of Clemson or Michigan State, but Oklahoma scared the crap out of me.

Last edited:

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I would put my money on Oklahoma to win the championship this year unless Mayfield gets hurt. They're playing like Texas A&M circa 2011 but with better RBs and a better D. I don't think Baka can beat them. I just hope we don't face them. I have no fear of Clemson or Michigan State, but Oklahoma scared the crap out of me.
Good thing we're not Baka.:)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
How good are they?
They'll find out soon enough. I do think the committee will try to protect the other teams by pairing us. Honestly OK or Bama
should be 1-2 on Tuesday and Clemson 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Clemson drops out of # 1, which I don`t think they`ll do, and UA replaces them at # 1, we won`t play OU in the semis (provided, of course, that we get by UF ).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've begun going through the numbers on Oklahoma. It's far too soon to elaborate (and I'm not going to post until after the Florida game because: a) we still have to win or this doesn't matter; and b) I have finals coming up in the next ten days at Austin Peay (online).

However, OU has only played ONE defense ranked in the top 50 yardage-wise......Tennessee, a game they really should have lost.

They've played exactly TWO teams in the top 50 in scoring defense - Tennessee (26) and WVA (46).

Two defenses they ran up colossal numbers on (Texas Tech and KU) are two of the four worst defenses in FBS. OU has played FIVE teams ranked worse than 100th in total yards and FIVE ranked 90th or worse in points surrendered (e.g. total defense).

OU has won six games this year in which they had a +2 turnover margin. They only lost the turnover battle twice - Tennessee and Texas, where they were -1 both times.

Note that I drop Akron from the evaluation just as I will drop Charleston Southern, ULM, and MTSU from us. Those games inflate stats. I will recalculate the 'real' numbers against 'real' competition and give a report in about two weeks (again - assuming we beat Florida, which we should quite easily).

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Ain't skeered.

There are plenty of players left on our team (and theirs) that remember the Sugar Bowl. I think both teams are better than they were then. They are good enough to beat anyone on a given day, but I think our DL would be the difference.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Assuming both teams make it to a matchup, having a by-then healthy Drake will be a key to the offense.

Would not surprise me to see us using two-back sets similar to what the Schooners do.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Oklahoma has gotten much better since the Texas loss. Texas deserved to win the game against OU, it was no fluke. Since then, OU runs the ball more and the team just looks a whole lot better. They are a very serious opponent.

That said, Bama is also much improved and I don't think there is any team in the current top 4 that can beat Bama. The team that scares me the most is tOSU. If Clemson loses to UNC, distinct possibility, tOSU will get in because of the way they manhandled Michigan.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think OU is very, very good--but not unbeatable. Like us, they've improved as the year has progressed. I would not expect to face the same team that lost in overtime to Tennessee. They are more than capable of beating us if we don't play well. We have the edge on D and they have the edge at QB. I think it would be a great game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think OU is very, very good--but not unbeatable. Like us, they've improved as the year has progressed. I would not expect to face the same team that lost in overtime to Tennessee. They are more than capable of beating us if we don't play well. We have the edge on D and they have the edge at QB. I think it would be a great game.
LOST in overtime?

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
The OK-UT game seems like a lifetime ago. I wouldn't peg our hopes to how OK played in that game. Either Coker steps up and plays better, or we will lose.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The Sooner's looks tough & playing some really good football right now, but, I'd like our chances should we meet in the play-off's..Coach Saban has a pretty good track record of beating teams we lost too the year before since he's been at Bama..Just ask Tebow..

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think we would be fine against them ... if we use the same game plan we used against Miss State, I think it should work well against their O. Would be more concerned about the playmaking ability of Deshawn Watson, but then again I believe we can beat them too. We can beat any of the teams in contention for the 4 team playoffs ... the challenge is, if we don't play a complete game, any of the teams can beat us as well. So right now, BAMA needs to focus on BAMA and first up ... beating Florida Saturday. I do want to say how proud I am of this team, this has to be one of the toughest runs in BAMA history for a championship and they have officially stepped up to the challenge. Now let's finish it strong guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.