Question: How good is Oklahoma?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we would be fine against them ... if we use the same game plan we used against Miss State, I think it should work well against their O. Would be more concerned about the playmaking ability of Deshawn Watson, but then again I believe we can beat them too. We can beat any of the teams in contention for the 4 team playoffs ... the challenge is, if we don't play a complete game, any of the teams can beat us as well. So right now, BAMA needs to focus on BAMA and first up ... beating Florida Saturday. I do want to say how proud I am of this team, this has to be one of the toughest runs in BAMA history for a championship and they have officially stepped up to the challenge. Now let's finish it strong guys.
I was thinking Georgia/Tennessee offense...

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
The OK-UT game seems like a lifetime ago. I wouldn't peg our hopes to how OK played in that game. Either Coker steps up and plays better, or we will lose.
Stuff like this drives me crazy. Has Coker struggled at times? Yes. But so has literally every other qb around the country. The whole "step up and play better" criticism is played out.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Guys... Let's focus on Florida first. we don't even know who we'll play after the game against Florida... :D

Oklahoma may not even get in.
The team needs to focus on Florida. I'm a fan my focus doesn't matter. I'm like Crimsonaudio I reserve the right to discuss any game at any moment.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I was thinking Georgia/Tennessee offense...
I agree on Tennessee but would substitute Ohio State for Georgia. Oklahoma is much better at QB than Georgia is this year but probably not quite as talented as Ohio State. Defensively, I would say about the same as Tennessee.

Alabama's defensive scheme and talent is much better suited to be successful against this kind of offense than it was last year or in 2013.

If 'Bama earns the right to play Oklahoma in the playoffs, and if we stay healthy and have Drake back at full speed, I think we will beat Oklahoma.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Stuff like this drives me crazy. Has Coker struggled at times? Yes. But so has literally every other qb around the country. The whole "step up and play better" criticism is played out.
His first half against Auburn, he seemed nervous and missed receivers he could have hit, but he did step up and play better later in the game. We all would like to see more consistency from him. He has shown that he is capable.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The OK-UT game seems like a lifetime ago. I wouldn't peg our hopes to how OK played in that game. Either Coker steps up and plays better, or we will lose.
Nobody can place the emphasis of how metrics suggest OU will perform based on one game. I would note despite their improvement, however, that Tennessee is the ONLY defense in the nation's top 50 that they've faced.

So did Oklahoma REALLY improve.......or did they simply run up huge numbers against lesser competition? It wouldn't be the first or even second time. In 2008, OU's LOWEST point total in their last six games was 58; in their last five they scored over 60 all five times.

Then they faced Florida and scored 14 points.

In 2003, OU was being called the greatest team of all-time in November. We were told to discount the 20-13 win over 4-9 Alabama because 'that was early and they've gotten better.'

Then Kansas State mauled them and then Nick Saban-led LSU took the crown.

I am NOT dissing OU as a formidable foe. But I'm telling you this same song and dance has been played multiple times before and when the pressure is on, it has always ended the exact same way, with OU on the short end.

I won't read too much into the Vols game but let's not read too much into the Kansas or Texas Tech run up points and yards games, either.

Okie State's defense is 83rd in the country in points allowed. The Sooners played FIVE DEFENSES worse than the Pokes.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The Sooner's looks tough & playing some really good football right now, but, I'd like our chances should we meet in the play-off's..Coach Saban has a pretty good track record of beating teams we lost too the year before since he's been at Bama..Just ask Tebow..
But we didn't play Oklahoma last year. :)

Both the Schooners and Alabama are significantly different teams from our last meeting. Don't think we can carry much from the 2014 Sugar Bowl into a 2016 rematch.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Nobody can place the emphasis of how metrics suggest OU will perform based on one game. I would note despite their improvement, however, that Tennessee is the ONLY defense in the nation's top 50 that they've faced.

So did Oklahoma REALLY improve.......or did they simply run up huge numbers against lesser competition? It wouldn't be the first or even second time. In 2008, OU's LOWEST point total in their last six games was 58; in their last five they scored over 60 all five times.

Then they faced Florida and scored 14 points.

In 2003, OU was being called the greatest team of all-time in November. We were told to discount the 20-13 win over 4-9 Alabama because 'that was early and they've gotten better.'

Then Kansas State mauled them and then Nick Saban-led LSU took the crown.

I am NOT dissing OU as a formidable foe. But I'm telling you this same song and dance has been played multiple times before and when the pressure is on, it has always ended the exact same way, with OU on the short end.

I won't read too much into the Vols game but let's not read too much into the Kansas or Texas Tech run up points and yards games, either.

Okie State's defense is 83rd in the country in points allowed. The Sooners played FIVE DEFENSES worse than the Pokes.

the facts are in the way of a good discussion, Selma. :wink:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think Oklahoma is a flawed but dynamic team and the biggest threat to Bama winning another title, assuming the four teams everyone assumes will make the playoff makes the playoff.

roygbell

Nov 30, 2015
I've begun going through the numbers on Oklahoma. It's far too soon to elaborate (and I'm not going to post until after the Florida game because: a) we still have to win or this doesn't matter; and b) I have finals coming up in the next ten days at Austin Peay (online).

However, OU has only played ONE defense ranked in the top 50 yardage-wise......Tennessee, a game they really should have lost.

They've played exactly TWO teams in the top 50 in scoring defense - Tennessee (26) and WVA (46).

Two defenses they ran up colossal numbers on (Texas Tech and KU) are two of the four worst defenses in FBS. OU has played FIVE teams ranked worse than 100th in total yards and FIVE ranked 90th or worse in points surrendered (e.g. total defense).

OU has won six games this year in which they had a +2 turnover margin. They only lost the turnover battle twice - Tennessee and Texas, where they were -1 both times.

Note that I drop Akron from the evaluation just as I will drop Charleston Southern, ULM, and MTSU from us. Those games inflate stats. I will recalculate the 'real' numbers against 'real' competition and give a report in about two weeks (again - assuming we beat Florida, which we should quite easily).
Cherry picking your statistics often leads to false conclusions.

Go back and look at the other side of the ball for some balance.

OU's defensive statistics might be skewed to the high side by the high powered offenses they faced during the season. OU played the #1, 2, 4, 13, 19,and 28 ranked total offensive teams in the country.

Bama played the 97th, 83rd, 76, 54th, 50th and 49th ranked teams in total offense. So, Bama’s defensive statistics might be skewed to the high side by some of the lowely ranked offensive teams they played. Using statistics like this can be very misleading.

OU and Bama have one game in common – Tennessee. OU played Tennessee the 2rd game of the season on the road in Knoxville. Remember that OU was breaking in a new OC and a new QB. Also, the OU defense after the middle of the 2nd quarter totally shut down the Vol offense. OU scored all of it's points in the 4th quarter.

Bama played Tennessee at home in the 8th game of the season.
OU beat the Vols 31 to 24 in overtime and Bama beat the Vols 19 - 14 on a TD at the end of the game. Logic is that OU’s win in Knoxville in the 2nd game of the season is a better win than Bama beating them in Tuscaloosa.

The only other game that might be relevant is the Texas Tech at Arkansas game. Tech, beat the hogs on the road 35 to 24 by 11 points. Bama beat the hogs at home 27 - 14. OU beat Tech at home by a score of 63 - 27. So, logic tells me that OU beat the team that beat the hogs by a very large margin.

None of the above really means anything as to how a game between OU and Alabama on a neutral field might play out. The only reason I post this is because picking the statistics that only favor your team is a good way to fool yourself.

As an OU fan, I have always had a lot of respect for the Tide. We have played some good games over the years. I go back to the early 50s when Bud and Bear were prowling the sidelines. I think a game in the playoffs between OU and Bama would make a great game.

I have no idea which team will win. I know we OU fans won't under-estimate the Tide as we know you have a good team. I think we might be pretty competitive if this one happens.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make some valid points as well, but, you also have to factor in that the Bama-Vol's game is one of college footballs biggest rivalry games..Oklahoma knows all too well how a lesser team can play better against their biggest rival..Texas had no business beating The Sooners this year..

OU's defensive statistics might be skewed to the high side by the high powered offenses they faced during the season. OU played the #1, 2, 4, 13, 19,and 28 ranked total offensive teams in the country.

Bama played the 97th, 83rd, 76, 54th, 50th and 49th ranked teams in total offense. So, Bama’s defensive statistics might be skewed to the high side by some of the lowely ranked offensive teams they played. Using statistics like this can be very misleading.

OU and Bama have one game in common – Tennessee. OU played Tennessee the 2rd game of the season on the road in Knoxville. Remember that OU was breaking in a new OC and a new QB. Also, the OU defense after the middle of the 2nd quarter totally shut down the Vol offense. OU scored all of it's points in the 4th quarter.

OU beat the Vols 31 to 24 in overtime and Bama beat the Vols 19 - 14 on a TD at the end of the game. Logic is that OU’s win in Knoxville in the 2nd game of the season is a better win than Bama beating them in Tuscaloosa.

The only other game that might be relevant is the Texas Tech at Arkansas game. Tech, beat the hogs on the road 35 to 24 by 11 points. Bama beat the hogs at home 27 - 14. OU beat Tech at home by a score of 63 - 27. So, logic tells me that OU beat the team that beat the hogs by a very large margin.

None of the above really means anything as to how a game between OU and Alabama on a neutral field might play out. The only reason I post this is because picking the statistics that only favor your team is a good way to fool yourself.

As an OU fan, I have always had a lot of respect for the Tide. We have played some good games over the years. I go back to the early 50s when Bud and Bear were prowling the sidelines. I think a game in the playoffs between OU and Bama would make a great game.

I have no idea which team will win. I know we OU fans won't under-estimate the Tide as we know you have a good team. I think we might be pretty competitive if this one happens.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Welcome to the board - but you haven't been around here long enough to accuse or even suggest that I cherry pick stats.

OK?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Speaking of cherry picking stats.....

It would be if logic failed to take several things into account:

1) Tennessee had a bye week prior to the Alabama game
2) Not only was Alabama slugging it out ON THE ROAD in College Station, go look at the previous two weeks - Georgia on the road in the rain (when Chubb was healthy) and Arkansas at home; Oklahoma was playing the Vols right after Akron for Pete's sake
3) You fail to take into account you only scored 17 in regulation; we didn't have to go to overtime against a more rested Volunteers team
4) It was a rivalry game

Which is going to be the excuse we get from OU as to why nobody should really count it......

I have no idea how this is going to go or look - in part because I've seen more than one game where a team statistically won it in a stampede but lost it where it counted (Alabama did this against LSU in 2011).

We beat Auburn by 16 in a game we were favored by 13 and folks want to know what was wrong with Alabama......

I crunched the numbers before the Texas-Alabama game in 2009. I had that as an 'either team could win this' with two questions: 1) what happens in McCoy gets hurt (ironic); and 2) is Texas' rushing defense REALLY that good or do they not play teams who run the ball very often? That turned out to be the latter (although let me add that that was a 3-point game until the final three minutes, too).

I did it before Notre Dame and came to the conclusion that just so long as nobody key to our success got hurt and we didn't turn the ball over, they were going to get boat-raced. And they did.

I can tell you this - if Alabama turns the ball over five times like happened against Ole Miss or the 2014 Sugar Bowl, Oklahoma is going to win.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Seeing how all three teams improved, as the season progressed, that might not be an accurate assumption. There are also other factors involved.

I'll let SBT 'splain it to you...........

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.