Question: How good is Oklahoma?

roygbell

Nov 30, 2015
Welcome to the board - but you haven't been around here long enough to accuse or even suggest that I cherry pick stats.

OK?
Sorry, I didn't mean to challenge you in the way you obviously took the cherry picking comment. What I read was how bad OU's defense was because we played a bunch of weak teams. While we did play some weak defensive teams we also played some pretty solid and tough to defend offensive teams as well. While at the same time Bama played some very weak offensive teams. I just think there are two sides of the ball -- offense and defense. And, if you objectively look at the statistics OU is fairly high ranked on both sides of the ball. But, statistics don't mean much and sure aren't what I look at when looking at any team.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I didn't mean to challenge you in the way you obviously took the cherry picking comment. What I read was how bad OU's defense was because we played a bunch of weak teams. While we did play some weak defensive teams we also played some pretty solid and tough to defend offensive teams as well. While at the same time Bama played some very weak offensive teams. I just think there are two sides of the ball -- offense and defense. And, if you objectively look at the statistics OU is fairly high ranked on both sides of the ball. But, statistics don't mean much and sure aren't what I look at when looking at any team.
I'm a stats guy, and I'll admit OU's stats look pretty good across the board. I think the game would come down to what it usually does - The team that can run the ball and stop the run will most likely win. Bama has played 3 teams that average more passing yards per game than OU, and won 2 of them, and anybody who watched the game will agree that Bama lost to Ole Miss because of 5 turnovers. OU statistically is the most balanced team Bama will have played, if it happens. If OU can prove to be physical enough to make us bring extra defenders in the box to stop the run, they can have some passing success. Bama's pass rush is by far the best it has ever been in the Saban era, and is 3 sacks shy of Saban's 2003 LSU defense that was so good at terrorizing QB's. This has been the missing element of Bama's defense for the last 2 years, and even compared to our great 2011 defense, it was never this good.

If OU can run the ball and protect Mayfield, they have a great shot putting up some points on us. If not, it will be a long day for the Sooners.

Conversely, if OU can slow down Henry and make us one dimensional, that favors them. If Henry does what he has done in the month of November, we'll be tough to beat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.