Question: How good is Oklahoma?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The biggest thing with OU is that they've progressed as the season has. So this isn't the same team that lost to Texas, or almost to Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Much like Ohio St. last year, they are the hot team going into the playoffs. They are a very tough out and likely who we get in the first round.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Very good. the key to beating them is keeping their O off the field, otherwise I don't see anyone totally shutting them down. They just have too many weapons.

If we can run on them, like as I recall DH doing rather well against them in the sugar bowl I believe, I think we could beat them. But like others have said, they will by far be our biggest test. At this point I think it's very likely that we play them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They deserve the respect that they are getting right now and Mayfield presents the same types of challenges that Kelly does at Ole Miss. They will have a chance in any game that they play because of their offense. I just wonder abut their defense.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
OU reminds me of Ohio State last year. Hot at the right time and they have a hot QB and a strong run game. Their defense is good enough.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
While OU is good, everyone needs to slow their rolls a BIT. Here's the average ranking of defenses Oklahoma has faced since their Texas loss (Alabama over the last 7 FBS teams in parenthesis for contrast):
Rush defense: 86.4 (58.4)
Pass defense: 99.7 (52)
Total D: 98.9 (48.7) - 5 of the 7 defenses Alabama has faced would be higher ranked than the highest defense faced by OU (Baylor - 66th).

[Also note I didn't get into TOO much trend analysis - which would likely show us facing teams playing their best ball, and how they dropped off AFTER playing us, save Tennessee and possible Arky. Auburn was certainly playing their best defense leading up to the Iron Bowl, a far cry from the beginning of the season.]

This doesn't include the fact that Okie State was on a terrible downward spiral on defense, giving up an average of 278.8 yards per game rushing in November, and 574 yards per game overall. OSU's defense has just been pathetic in November. Even TCU, the highest rated pass D and second best overall D Oklahoma faced in that span gave up over 500 yards to Southern Methodist. Baylor, the best "run D" they faced, only got a boost on their numbers thanks to Okie State turning in an abysmal 8 total yards on the ground (after the last three opponents had gotten over 200 yards rushing each, including Kansas State and Iowa State.

So, Oklahoma is a good team, yes. Take their past performances on offense with a grain of salt though - they played some of the worst defenses in all of college football. There's a good chance Coker would look All-American against those defenses too.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think their offense is better than their defense. They have Mayfield, Perrine and Mixon in the backfield and Shepard on the outside. Very good and balanced offense. Honestly the type of offense Alabama struggles against the most (balanced) rather than the perception that Alabama struggles vs the spread of HUNH. Like others have mentioned it's hard to tell how physical their defense is because they play in a passing league. This is the reason I would rather avoid them first round: they aren't intimidated of Alabama. Striker and company put a pretty good beat down on Bama in the sugar bowl 2 years ago so they won't be intimidated in the least..

Bamafan in BGKY

3rd Team
Jan 1, 2005
Bowling Green, Ky
Oklahoma is playing as well as any team right now. I almost wish that the CFP committee would recognize that and give them the #1 spot because I would rather play Stoops in the championship game, i.e. Master of choking at big games, as opposed to playing them at the semifinal game. If they move ahead of us and Iowa beats Michigan State then we could end up playing Clemson as a #4 seed and I think that would be a much better match up. Oklahoma's QB is the quintessential Bama nightmare QB whether we like it or not.

With all that said, I'd still rather play and beat the very best, that's how a true champion is defined.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's not unusual to see a Saban team playing it's best ball to end the season. We missed the past few years, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it's us that peaks at the right time.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Oklahoma is playing as well as any team right now. I almost wish that the CFP committee would recognize that and give them the #1 spot because I would rather play Stoops in the championship game, i.e. Master of choking at big games, as opposed to playing them at the semifinal game. If they move ahead of us and Iowa beats Michigan State then we could end up playing Clemson as a #4 seed and I think that would be a much better match up. Oklahoma's QB is the quintessential Bama nightmare QB whether we like it or not.

With all that said, I'd still rather play and beat the very best, that's how a true champion is defined.
Thanks for the post. I totally agree. Here's my top 5 at the moment: 1. Oklahoma, 2. MSU/Iowa winner, 3. tOSU, 4. Alabama. 5. North Carolina Clemson faded out of the picture yesterday. I think North Carolina will beat them in the ACCCG.

Who will win it all? Coming from the heart and the brain: ALABAMA!

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I don't know where the teams should be ranked. I have always liked playing against the best. Getting beat doesn't scare me. Let's line up and get after it. We play in a passing conference. More teams in the SEC are going that way, you line up against who they schedule you to play. You guys hate Stoops for disrespecting the SEC. He has always talked about how much he respects the Bama program and tradition.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Thanks for the post. I totally agree. Here's my top 5 at the moment: 1. Oklahoma, 2. MSU/Iowa winner, 3. tOSU, 4. Alabama. 5. North Carolina Clemson faded out of the picture yesterday. I think North Carolina will beat them in the ACCCG.

Who will win it all? Coming from the heart and the brain: ALABAMA!
Really... tOSU over an undefeated Clemson team? Ohio State has one decent win. Yes, they won big yesterday against a quality opponent, but they've only faced two all year and lost to the other one. End of the day, Alabama has wins over 2 9 win teams, and 4 8 win teams. Ohio State has 1 of each (one of which is Northern Illinois, a MAC team) while Clemson has wins over 10-win FSU and 10-win Notre Dame. Better record and better signature wins. I'm not sure how you have tOSU over them and us.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I think Stoops is a hell of a good coach personally. Yeah, he's done some questionable things with how hes handled some players in the past, but overall, ive seen worse. I like what hes done with that Sooner program.

I do however think that Stoops saved his job this season. If the Sooners had another 4-5 loss season, I think he'd be gone this coming week.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
They are very, very good. I think OU would be the toughest draw for Alabama in the play-off. They have a Manziel clone at QB with a couple of excellent RB's. Perrine in particular is outstanding IMO. I think both of their lines a very, very good as well.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
OU is a very good team. Stoops is another elite coach along with Saban & Meyers. They had a fluke loss to UT. Otherwise, they'd be #1 in the country right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
OU is a very good team. Stoops is another elite coach along with Saban & Meyers. They had a fluke loss to UT. Otherwise, they'd be #1 in the country right now.

Alabama had a fluke loss to Ole Miss. Who would be ranked #1 if Alabama and Oklahoma had neither dropped those games?

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I think I'm on record as saying I'm not a big fan of Bob Stoops. He brought the Sooner program back from the grave following probation, much like Saban did for the Tide. For that I am grateful. I think he got complacent, I think his teams did the same. Maybe he got his mojo back, maybe not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.