GA News: OnlineAthens - Leading tackler Jake Ganus gets costly penalty but UGA coaches don't t

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
November 29th, 2015 01:26 AM

ATLANTA | Georgia may have locked down the first shutout by any team against Georgia Tech since 1997 if not for Jake Ganus getting a little too excited about a third-down incompletion.
The senior inside linebacker waved his arms signaling an incomplete on the sideline near Ricky Jeune after the third-and-seven play at the Georgia 47. Ganus was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.
“I didn’t say a word,” the UAB transfer said. “I saw a flag at my foot. I’m not going to bash the refs. The coaches weren’t mad so that’s a sign that I probably didn’t do anything wrong.”
Two plays later, Georgia Tech got on the scoreboard on a 15-yard touchdown pass from Justin Thomas to Jeune with 3:24 to go, but Georgia held on for a 13-7 victory. Florida State was the last team to blank Georgia Tech on October 18, 1997.
Ganus said Georgia coaches were mad at the call on the field, not at him.
Bulldogs coach Mark Richt downplayed what Ganus did and indicated his signal wasn’t what it seemed although Ganus said he was signaling incomplete.
“There’s two things on that,” Richt said. “That does signify incomplete pass and it does also indicate our punt safe. It was fourth-and-7 and that’s what everyone is doing, punt safe on the sideline just to make sure our punt team doesn’t go on the field and our safe group goes if in fact they punt. They may not have punted in that situation but you’ve got to get ready to communicate so we don’t have 12 on the field or some kind of mishap. We were about out of timeouts by then and we found ways to burn those unfortunately, some for good reasons, some not for good reasons.”
Richt clearly disagreed with the call.
“I guess no comment is the best comment right now,” he said. “What does your mother say?”
Told, if there’s nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all.
“You can quote my mother, not me,” he said.
Ganus upped his team-leading tackles to 96 after topping all Bulldogs with 12 Saturday.
He wasn’t the only player flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Georgia Tech linebacker P.J. Davis was ejected for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the third quarter.

...READ MORE HERE...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.