Scenario with 2 B1G Teams in the Playoffs

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
In the conference championships we have:

Bama vs Florida -> Bama will win this one -- if not, we have no case for getting in and the rest of this post won't matter.

Iowa vs Michigan State -> I think Iowa wins this one but it could go either way. Whoever wins gets in. That's all there is to it.

NC vs Clemson -> Clemson should win by a TD or so.

Stanford vs USC -> Stanford should win again but it won't matter really. Stanford will not get in unless they win and maybe we lose (our game against Florida is expected to be the most lopsided) and Clemson loses. Would a two loss Pac12 champ really trump Ohio State? I'm not so sure.

Big 12: Oklahoma (champ) - they're in and won't be left out. I don't foresee a way they don't. This time I think a lack of a conference championship game helps them.

Top 4 *should* be:

1. Clemson
  2. Bama
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Iowa/Michigan St.

However, if Clemson loses which with a TD favorite in their game against UNC, who gets in? I'm thinking Ohio State. I think even if Baylor blows Texas out -- which is somewhat likely, I don't see how they keep Baylor in front of Ohio St. Or is it that a Clemson with a close loss to #14 UNC (UNC will be ranked higher -- probably 10 or so but not higher) would still stay in front of Ohio State? Hard to tell. So, this top 4 finish in my opinion could either be intriguing based on what Clemson does. Have I missed any other scenarios? Any other opinions? I would love to hear them.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If they select Ohio St again then charges of bias will erode their low credibility. I think Ohio St is the better team but they're not a conference champion and technically not even second given the records of the teams if Iowa loses (how can one say championships matter then put Ohio St ahead of a division champion with the same record? Oh that's right, they just make it up as they go).

I DO think Ohio St is the best B1G team but given the criteria I doubt they have a shot.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If they select Ohio St again then charges of bias will erode their low credibility. I think Ohio St is the better team but they're not a conference champion and technically not even second given the records of the teams if Iowa loses (how can one say championships matter then put Ohio St ahead of a division champion with the same record? Oh that's right, they just make it up as they go).

I DO think Ohio St is the best B1G team but given the criteria I doubt they have a shot.
I agree. Frankly, I also think Clemson/UNC is a play in game. If Clemson wins, they keep their one ranking; whereas, a UNC win may get them the four spot. Bama has to finish by beating UF, and we are in. I think OU is in, but it still stinks that they don't have a championship game. Then Iowa/Michigan St. winner is in. In my opinion, the only way any other team has a shot is if we lose to UF. That's my take, for what it's worth.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I agree. Frankly, I also think Clemson/UNC is a play in game. If Clemson wins, they keep their one ranking; whereas, a UNC win may get them the four spot. Bama has to finish by beating UF, and we are in. I think OU is in, but it still stinks that they don't have a championship game. Then Iowa/Michigan St. winner is in. In my opinion, the only way any other team has a shot is if we lose to UF. That's my take, for what it's worth.
Either Oklahoma or Notre Dame is in. Alabama, Iowa, or Clemson COULD LOSE OUT. WHY NOT MAKE THE TOP FOUR RIGHT NOW IF CONFERENCE CHAMPSIONSHIP GAMES DON'T MATTER. Oklahoma and ND cannot lose. It sucks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that may happen if we lose, but a 12-1 ACC champ UNC should trump a 3rd place Big 10 OSU if the committee's "standards" hold true.
This is the way that I see it - the Buckeyes only get in if Alabama loses, and that isn't going to happen. A shame, but losing a game that late in the season is generally impossible to overcome.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
If UNC beats Clemson and we beat Florida, we move up to #1 and UNC gets in at #4. We'll play UNC first round.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
In the conference championships we have:

Bama vs Florida -> Bama will win this one -- if not, we have no case for getting in and the rest of this post won't matter.

Iowa vs Michigan State -> I think Iowa wins this one but it could go either way. Whoever wins gets in. That's all there is to it.

NC vs Clemson -> Clemson should win by a TD or so.

Stanford vs USC -> Stanford should win again but it won't matter really. Stanford will not get in unless they win and maybe we lose (our game against Florida is expected to be the most lopsided) and Clemson loses. Would a two loss Pac12 champ really trump Ohio State? I'm not so sure.

Big 12: Oklahoma (champ) - they're in and won't be left out. I don't foresee a way they don't. This time I think a lack of a conference championship game helps them.

Top 4 *should* be:

1. Clemson
  2. Bama
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Iowa/Michigan St.

However, if Clemson loses which with a TD favorite in their game against UNC, who gets in? I'm thinking Ohio State. I think even if Baylor blows Texas out -- which is somewhat likely, I don't see how they keep Baylor in front of Ohio St. Or is it that a Clemson with a close loss to #14 UNC (UNC will be ranked higher -- probably 10 or so but not higher) would still stay in front of Ohio State? Hard to tell. So, this top 4 finish in my opinion could either be intriguing based on what Clemson does. Have I missed any other scenarios? Any other opinions? I would love to hear them.
I already think tOSU is one of the BEST 4 teams in college football! And Zeke is begging to get the ball as much as Henry does. He beat Michigan yesterday with a little help from his friends.

And, I do think UNC will beat Clemsoning!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Either Oklahoma or Notre Dame is in. Alabama, Iowa, or Clemson COULD LOSE OUT. WHY NOT MAKE THE TOP FOUR RIGHT NOW IF CONFERENCE CHAMPSIONSHIP GAMES DON'T MATTER. Oklahoma and ND cannot lose. It sucks.
Not saying it justifies it but the BIG12 plays 9 conference games where the SEC plays 8 + CCG so in reality all teams play the same amount of conference games..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I think only if Clemson and We lost....and Stanford lost. I think the committee would put in a 2 loss Pac 12 champion over Ohio State. They proved last year that a conference championship is a big deal.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I see the ACC championship game as a toss up, could go either way. If Clemson loses though the ACC champion will be left out most likely. If Stanford beats USC big I think Clemson losing would open the door for Stanford getting in. I do not see a non conference champion getting in unless both Clemson and Bama lose, then it would be Stanford and Ohio State making it. Of course Stanford has to win the Pac 12. If Clemson, Bama, and Stanford all three lose, then it would get Ohio State and North Carolina, the ACC champ in. Just do not see a two lose Baylor getting in over a one loss ACC champion North Carolina.

Now that is a lot of what ifs LOL!!! ;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think only if Clemson and We lost....and Stanford lost. I think the committee would put in a 2 loss Pac 12 champion over Ohio State. They proved last year that a conference championship is a big deal.
You might be right - hard to be sure which they would weigh more, the second loss or the conference championship. Still, if Alabama takes care of business it will not matter.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Not saying it justifies it but the BIG12 plays 9 conference games where the SEC plays 8 + CCG so in reality all teams play the same amount of conference games..
What you say is true, but playing Kansas in October is a lot different than playing another good team in a championship setting. Their league had several teams blow it during the championship game in the past.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What you say is true, but playing Kansas in October is a lot different than playing another good team in a championship setting. Their league had several teams blow it during the championship game in the past.
Again, each conference rotates the in conference games so next year Alabama may be playing Kentucky in October. What's the difference?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.