Scenario with 2 B1G Teams in the Playoffs

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Eyeball test or not the field test is what matters and tOSU failed the first serious test they had. Their schedule was horrible and they knew they'd have to run the table to get it. Or those playing Sat. I'd say Clemson is their best bet to falter. That said UNC would get in over them. They need both Bama and Clem. To lose and that ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Eyeball test or not the field test is what matters and tOSU failed the first serious test they had. Their schedule was horrible and they knew they'd have to run the table to get it. Or those playing Sat. I'd say Clemson is their best bet to falter. That said UNC would get in over them. They need both Bama and Clem. To lose and that ain't gonna happen.
I agree, but UNC's schedule is just as bad and their loss was horrible. Right now UNC has ZERO good wins on their resume. Still, their win would be over a better team so I would lose no sleep if the committee put UNC in ahead of us after beating Clemson.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If UNC beats Clemson and we beat Florida, we move up to #1 and UNC gets in at #4. We'll play UNC first round.
I agree with this. The committee might go with Stanford if they win the Pac-12, but I think Ohio State only gets in if Alabama and Stanford lose. The committee will favor a conference champion over Ohio State. Ohio State will get in over USC and over Florida, but not North Carolina or Stanford.

Having said that, I think Ohio State is probably the best team in the country in terms of talent. But they lost near the end of the season, their nonconference schedule was not exceptionally strong, and they can't play for the conference championship. The committee rules say that they can only consider a non-conference champion if that team is "unequivocally" one of the best four. Based on talent they are one of the best four, but based on what they did during the season, they are not. If this is just based on talent, then why bother playing any games.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
In the conference championships we have:

Bama vs Florida -> Bama will win this one -- if not, we have no case for getting in and the rest of this post won't matter.

Iowa vs Michigan State -> I think Iowa wins this one but it could go either way. Whoever wins gets in. That's all there is to it.

NC vs Clemson -> Clemson should win by a TD or so.

Stanford vs USC -> Stanford should win again but it won't matter really. Stanford will not get in unless they win and maybe we lose (our game against Florida is expected to be the most lopsided) and Clemson loses. Would a two loss Pac12 champ really trump Ohio State? I'm not so sure.

Big 12: Oklahoma (champ) - they're in and won't be left out. I don't foresee a way they don't. This time I think a lack of a conference championship game helps them.

Top 4 *should* be:

1. Clemson
  2. Bama
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Iowa/Michigan St.

However, if Clemson loses which with a TD favorite in their game against UNC, who gets in? I'm thinking Ohio State. I think even if Baylor blows Texas out -- which is somewhat likely, I don't see how they keep Baylor in front of Ohio St. Or is it that a Clemson with a close loss to #14 UNC (UNC will be ranked higher -- probably 10 or so but not higher) would still stay in front of Ohio State? Hard to tell. So, this top 4 finish in my opinion could either be intriguing based on what Clemson does. Have I missed any other scenarios? Any other opinions? I would love to hear them.

IMO if Iowa beats Mich St they will be the #3 team and OK will slip to #4.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
IF Clemson loses to North Carolina, Alabama loses to Florida, and Michigan State beats Iowa (no way they get considered unless all three happen). Ohio State would have a decent comparison with the other 1 loss teams, and could slip back in. IMO that is a pipe dream for media to sit and fill time discussing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IF Clemson loses to North Carolina, Alabama loses to Florida, and Michigan State beats Iowa (no way they get considered unless all three happen). Ohio State would have a decent comparison with the other 1 loss teams, and could slip back in. IMO that is a pipe dream for media to sit and fill time discussing.
Like internet forums, it gets boring if all we talk about is what is likely to happen.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Like internet forums, it gets boring if all we talk about is what is likely to happen.
True.

Just wanting to make sure your hopes don't get stoked up too much :)

I really did want to get wins against both y'all and Oklahoma in the playoffs. That would have been some real cathartic revenge. Maybe it can still happen, but I just don't see it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
NC has a much better chance of beating Clemson; if lizards couldn't score against FSU, I give them little chance against Bama.
Should it end up with all one and two loss teams, don't forget Committee has said they place a LOT of emphasis on conference champions.
We'll see how that shakes out should Clemson lose. NC will probably be ranked at least two spots higher this week.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
In the conference championships we have:

Bama vs Florida -> Bama will win this one -- if not, we have no case for getting in and the rest of this post won't matter.

Iowa vs Michigan State -> I think Iowa wins this one but it could go either way. Whoever wins gets in. That's all there is to it.

NC vs Clemson -> Clemson should win by a TD or so.

Stanford vs USC -> Stanford should win again but it won't matter really. Stanford will not get in unless they win and maybe we lose (our game against Florida is expected to be the most lopsided) and Clemson loses. Would a two loss Pac12 champ really trump Ohio State? I'm not so sure.

Big 12: Oklahoma (champ) - they're in and won't be left out. I don't foresee a way they don't. This time I think a lack of a conference championship game helps them.

Top 4 *should* be:

1. Clemson
  2. Bama
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Iowa/Michigan St.

However, if Clemson loses which with a TD favorite in their game against UNC, who gets in? I'm thinking Ohio State. I think even if Baylor blows Texas out -- which is somewhat likely, I don't see how they keep Baylor in front of Ohio St. Or is it that a Clemson with a close loss to #14 UNC (UNC will be ranked higher -- probably 10 or so but not higher) would still stay in front of Ohio State? Hard to tell. So, this top 4 finish in my opinion could either be intriguing based on what Clemson does. Have I missed any other scenarios? Any other opinions? I would love to hear them.
If we're in it, I want to see Oklahoma ranked #1 after Clemsoning loses to UNC. I want Big Head, Big Game, Big Foot-in-Mouth Bob to be on TOP and Bama to be an UNDERDOG or UNDERELEPHANT! Then, I want to knock OFF Big Game, Big Foot-in-Mouth, Big Head Bob and those Later than Sooners! I want to knock them off just like they did us a few years ago! We need payback for that game as well as when the Hold the Rope Coach was here.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
My feelings now are that even with a win, UNC doesn't get in. I think in that case it would shake out like this.

1. UA
2. B1G winner
3. OU
4. tOSU

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In my humble opinion the committee should not allow conference championships to enter in the equation. But for an incredible fluke play by Arkansas, Ole Miss would be a two loss team playing Saturday for the SEC title. If they had won the title then should they have made it over Bama even though they have two losses to our one, and even though we're much higher ranked? I don't think so. I think the committee should isolate the best four teams in college football regardless of conference affiliation, just like the NCAA Basketball Tournament Committee. Again just my opinion.
I personally think the best four teams as of today are
Clemson
Bama
Michigan State
Ohio State

Oklahoma lost to Texas and beat TCU by one when TCU didn't have Boykin.
I could handle the TCU loss but, if I'm on the committee that Texas loss knocks them out.

A lot of football left though.
What happens if N.C. beats Clemson, Florida beats us, and Iowa beats Michigan State??
You talk about crazy.
Then it would probably be
North Carolina
Iowa
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Now wouldn't that be overly exciting?(blue font)
sip

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My feelings now are that even with a win, UNC doesn't get in. I think in that case it would shake out like this.

1. UA
2. B1G winner
3. OU
4. tOSU

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I think an 11-2 Stanford would give Ohio State a lot of competition for that last spot. It would prove what the committee values more. Conference championships or overall record.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think only if Clemson and We lost....and Stanford lost. I think the committee would put in a 2 loss Pac 12 champion over Ohio State. They proved last year that a conference championship is a big deal.
I don't think so. I remember Bama/LSU in the NC game when Bama didn't win the division, much less the conference. I could see OSU getting in before Stanford or Notre Dame. In fact, they probably should be the first team "in waiting" if Bama or Clemson falter.

Now if Bama and Clemson stink it up and Iowa loses by 3 points or less, I could see 3 Big 10 teams and OU in the finals as well.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Isn't this an interesting thread? Very strong points can be made for several teams to be in and out of the final 4. Oklahoma looks great, but lost to Texas. We lost to a team that lost 3 games. But both OU and Alabama now pass most eye tests for top 4 teams.

I would understand the reasoning of the committee for putting OSU or UNC #4 if Clemson loses. I guarantee that Vegas odds for an Alabama championship would be increased if we faced UNC in the first round if that tells you anything.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I can't imagine the committee would put two teams from the same conference into the playoff unless they had pretty much no other choice. The four team system is set up to leave out at least one power five conference champ every year, there would be outrage if two got left out in favor of two B1G Teams, even if Ohio State is worthy.

IMO Clemson losing benefits Stanford the most. After beating Notre Dame I think they're going to jump up big, and I think the committee will support a 2 loss Pac-12 champ (Stanford has played arguably the toughest schedule in the nation, 9 games in a deep Pac-12 plus Notre Dame and 10 win Northwestern) over Ohio State or even North Carolina.

UNC is going to get screwed because A) they lost to a terrible South Carolina team and B) the committee is going to punish them for playing two FCS cupcake games.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Personally, I think everyone on the committee knows tOSU is one of the top 4 teams in the country and all it would take for the Buckeyes to make the playoffs is a loss by either Bama or Clemson.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Personally, I think everyone on the committee knows tOSU is one of the top 4 teams in the country and all it would take for the Buckeyes to make the playoffs is a loss by either Bama or Clemson.
Do they know that? Probably.

But I think they've shown a propensity for valuing conference titles and maintaining a "fair" sense of balance.... And at the end of the day Ohio State still has a pretty weak resume. Watching them plow through Michigan on Saturday reminded everyone of their championship run last year but the reality is they played two big time games all season and blew it at home against Sparty.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
UNC is going to get screwed because A) they lost to a terrible South Carolina team and B) the committee is going to punish them for playing two FCS cupcake games.
c) They have the weakest schedule, by far, of any team in the top 15.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.