Kannell (again)...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I don't think he actually believes anything he says. I think he is doing this only so fans like us or like Finebaum's lunatics will talk about him.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If I were the Big Wig at ESPN, he'd be goooooooonnnnnnneeeee!

I disagree with 99.99999% of everything that he says!

I KNOW that I'm not always right, but why do they keep him when he's always wrong?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I saw that segment & thought the same thing. He just can't stand Bama.

I'm usually ok with Verne & Gary, but towards the very end of yesterday's game, around three plus minutes, Gary pointed out Gus should call a timeout to still have a shot at two possessions to win. Gus was slow to call it, and Gary finally said "Please!" meaning please Gus, wake up and call timeout. It was jarring to me to hear him all but beg Gus to do what Gary thought he should to beat Bama. I generally consider him fairly impartial, until I heard that "Please" stretched out with emphasis.
I didn't see Gary's comment as a plea for AU to find a way to beat us but as an indictment of Malzahn's coaching. I've heard him say similar things about bad clock management for years, even with CNS before, and he usually is right about it. I think it grates Gary to see bonehead calls, no matter who is doing it.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
The main problem I have with him is that he is not interesting. I don’t mind the fact that he has an obvious bias for and against the SEC (I do not think it is Bama as much as Bama is the top dog in SEC and we have enough fans to drive clicks on sites). He is just a boring guy. I honestly can’t understand how a major corporation like ESPN accepts mediocre analysts. I think you can grab any guy off the SEC network and they would add more personality and objectivity to the flagship program. when you are paid to provide an analysis you should do so in an objective manner. This is a problem I always had with Dr. Lou but at least he had a likable personality to combat it. David Pollack, Kirk Herbstriet, Reece Davis, Mark May are all prime examples of guys that can speak on a subject and make me feel at the end of their analysis that their take was truly what they believed based on how they interrupt the situation. Galloway and Kannell just seem to cherrypick data to support whatever they are trying relay and I don’t believe for a second their motives are straight....if the football thing doesn’t work I bet they could both get hired on at MSNBC pretty easy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again - I've jabbed this guy on Twitter twice and he doesn't dare respond. If Kanell REALLY believes this then he needs to give up his 1993 national title ring. According to his own logic, the national title game should have been Nebraska vs WVA; why did once beaten FSU (with Kanell as backup QB) get in the title game over unbeaten WVA?

Answer: because their SOS was higher. Besides, his getting a ring after losing to Notre Dame is itself a sick joke.

My problem is that Kanell does not ally his logic consistently. He also figures if Coker was still at FSU they'd probably be in the tournament.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I saw that segment & thought the same thing. He just can't stand Bama.

I'm usually ok with Verne & Gary, but towards the very end of yesterday's game, around three plus minutes, Gary pointed out Gus should call a timeout to still have a shot at two possessions to win. Gus was slow to call it, and Gary finally said "Please!" meaning please Gus, wake up and call timeout. It was jarring to me to hear him all but beg Gus to do what Gary thought he should to beat Bama. I generally consider him fairly impartial, until I heard that "Please" stretched out with emphasis.

Good point, Chukker...

I noticed that as well, and thought to myself "Did he really just say that?"

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Kanell is a clown and not even an amusing one. One doesn't have to love Bama, but I do require honesty and fairness from so-called "analyst". I can't imagine the ratings for Game Day Final are that strong as he is just plain boring along with Galloway. I do miss Mark May, Rece Gaines, and God help me, Lou Holtz.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I got the sense the entire game that Gary wanted Auburn to win. That said, remember that he needs viewers and an Alabama blowout would see a lot of people changing the channel across the country, including in the state of Alabama.

It is in CBS' best interests for the game to stay close or for Auburn to win outright. Gary gets that. Just as the ESPN college gameday team admitted yesterday that they actively pull for the teams that they pick in the show, I expect that Gary will pull for the outcome that will provide the best ratings. He has a vested interest in that outcome. It isn't about Alabama or Auburn - it is about what is best for his employer and himself.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
To me, the context was Gary's clear criticism of Malzahn's clock management, nothing more, nothing less.
I understand your point & agree to an extent. But he sure put some extra emphasis in saying "please". He understood without the timeout the game would be out of reach...whether he was more upset at the poor clock management or the last gasp to beating Bama slipping away...I think it's hard to be certain. A little of both, in my opinion.

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but Kannell's bias is so obvious there's nothing to debate.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Having attended and graduated from FSU, I can say is that FSU has always wanted to be the "New" Alabama of the South after Coach Bryant passed.

One of the co-hosts asked him if he would now switch UA and Clemson for #1 and #2. The answer was an emphatic "NO!" His explanation was that, even though Clemson won by only five over a 3-9 team, you still had to favor the undefeated team. (Wonder how Iowa felt about that.) He went on to say that we "didn't look all that good" in beating AU. The other hosts agreed. Last I saw, we more than covered the spread. I guess only a blowout would have sufficed. However, he did say Henry deserved the Heisman, pointing out the four 200+ games. He really doesn't even try to hide his distaste for Bama...

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
I was watching College Football Sunday on ESPU this morning. A female talking head, Heather something, said that Alabama needs to work on their resume to show why they deserve to be in the playoff as they haven't beaten a team in the top 25. When we beat Florida, I'm sure they will drop out of the top 25 too. Now the talking point is a push for a two loss Stanford team to make the final 4. Unreal........

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was watching College Football Sunday on ESPU this morning. A female talking head, Heather something, said that Alabama needs to work on their resume to show why they deserve to be in the playoff as they haven't beaten a team in the top 25. When we beat Florida, I'm sure they will drop out of the top 25 too. Now the talking point is a push for a two loss Stanford team to make the final 4. Unreal........
Yeah, she hates all things SEC. Her last name is Dinich.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
If I were the Big Wig at ESPN, he'd be goooooooonnnnnnneeeee!

I disagree with 99.99999% of everything that he says!

I KNOW that I'm not always right, but why do they keep him when he's always wrong?
Because they've gotten rid of most of the talking heads that made even a little sense...
They have to fill the time voids with someone, they even put a basically non-sports forum into Cowherds old spot!
Fox-Sports is going to slowly take over the market!

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I understand your point & agree to an extent. But he sure put some extra emphasis in saying "please". He understood without the timeout the game would be out of reach...whether he was more upset at the poor clock management or the last gasp to beating Bama slipping away...I think it's hard to be certain. A little of both, in my opinion.

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but Kannell's bias is so obvious there's nothing to debate.
It sounded to me like he was imploring him, to not be so stupid on Nat'l TV...!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.