Kannell (again)...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I didn't see Gary's comment as a plea for AU to find a way to beat us but as an indictment of Malzahn's coaching. I've heard him say similar things about bad clock management for years, even with CNS before, and he usually is right about it. I think it grates Gary to see bonehead calls, no matter who is doing it.
I think this is correct. I think Gary was just astounded that a coach could make such a boneheaded decision. Especially given that they needed 2 scores and all the time they could get.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Trust me,the committee is laughing and shaking their head at every word that comes out of this clowns mouth.
You're dead wrong about that. The truth is that the committee probably doesn't even know who Danny Kannell is, or Joey "Bama beat me in my final college game and i've never gotten over it" Galloway for that matter.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
He even admitted one time he is representing the unheard majority he hears from around the country that are tired of Bama. Though it goes beyond catering to an audience; there is some visceral revulsion he has for Bama.
i think a lot of this is that folks are tired of bama being on top and telling folks bama ain't all that grabs more eyeballs and eardrums than singing bama's praises.

and bama keeps showing up and trucking folks

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
One of the co-hosts asked him if he would now switch UA and Clemson for #1 and #2. The answer was an emphatic "NO!" His explanation was that, even though Clemson won by only five over a 3-9 team, you still had to favor the undefeated team. (Wonder how Iowa felt about that.) He went on to say that we "didn't look all that good" in beating AU. The other hosts agreed. Last I saw, we more than covered the spread. I guess only a blowout would have sufficed. However, he did say Henry deserved the Heisman, pointing out the four 200+ games. He really doesn't even try to hide his distaste for Bama...
He's right. They're undefeated and we're not. We keep winning and it all sorts out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
About the only talk show I watch anymore is the one on SEC Network with Dari, whatever his last name is SEC Nation and Finebaum. Then I watch the Playoff selection show on Tuesday nights to see the rankings. Its hard to watch Gameday because of Lee Corso but every now and then I watch that but rarely, maybe twice this season. The SEC Network saved the day for me and college football talk. I might hear Danny Kannel only if he comes on Finebaums show. Who cares.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
About the only talk show I watch anymore is the one on SEC Network with Dari, whatever his last name is SEC Nation and Finebaum. Then I watch the Playoff selection show on Tuesday nights to see the rankings. Its hard to watch Gameday because of Lee Corso but every now and then I watch that but rarely, maybe twice this season. The SEC Network saved the day for me and college football talk. I might hear Danny Kannel only if he comes on Finebaums show. Who cares.
100% of what I hear from him is posted on this message board…never see him. The SECN is my only stop for college football talk and even that's not very often.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
ESPN has all these subpar analyst because they are undergoing a major restructuring and cost savings initiative because ESPN has lost about 10 million subscribers over the past 3 years (sorry for the run on sentence). Basically Kannell and Galloway are the "lead analyst" on the college football show because they are cheap labor..

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
He was not impressed with a 16 point win over a bowl bound team, but clemsons 5 point win over the worst team in the sec was enough to keep them number 1.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I got the sense the entire game that Gary wanted Auburn to win. That said, remember that he needs viewers and an Alabama blowout would see a lot of people changing the channel across the country, including in the state of Alabama.
I'll agree that some people around the country might have looked for a closer in score contest, but I seriously doubt many folks in the state of Alabama would turn away - even if their team is losing. It's like watching a train wreck, you know it isn't pretty but you just can't make yourself look the other way.

Kanell proves that a guy with just empty space between his ears can exist. Galloway serves to reinforce that premise.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Kanell (and a few other paid spokesmen) look at the score after the first quarter or so of a game and make up their minds regarding the dominance of a team. They don't take the time to dig deep into the stats throughout the game. The final score is irrelevant, because their minds are made up. Alabama has had a few games here and there when we were leading big at the half, but our MO is to have a balanced first half and then use the second half to pound what worked the best and run down the clock. Clemson started quick but faded late; we started with field goals and suffocated Auburn late in the game. Kanell was already watching the FSU pregame show by then.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Kannell then goes into "what if Alabama losses the SECG", who does it help, and talks about teams whom haven't won their conference yet either.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
One of the co-hosts asked him if he would now switch UA and Clemson for #1 and #2. The answer was an emphatic "NO!" His explanation was that, even though Clemson won by only five over a 3-9 team, you still had to favor the undefeated team. (Wonder how Iowa felt about that.) He went on to say that we "didn't look all that good" in beating AU. The other hosts agreed. Last I saw, we more than covered the spread. I guess only a blowout would have sufficed. However, he did say Henry deserved the Heisman, pointing out the four 200+ games. He really doesn't even try to hide his distaste for Bama...
I saw that. He almost didn't let the host finished his sentence before he let out a loud, vehement NO! Like he was surprised to hear it and let his emotions about Alabama show.

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I saw that. He almost didn't let the host finished his sentence before he let out a loud, vehement NO! Like he was surprised to hear it and let his emotions about Alabama show.
Finebaum even makes fun of the guy.......Finebaum of all people!

That tells me all I need to know about the guy. LOL

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
I personally could careless if we are #1 or #2. I'd love Clemson to play OU right now though. OU has to be the hottest team right now in the country, just what tOSU was last year. I think that after the championship games are played, the committee puts OU at #4 and matches them up with Clemson.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I haven't read the entire thread and I DON'T like Kannell, but I did not have a problem with his comments. I heard them live and am OK with his stance here. I'd probably keep Clemson #1, also. He didn't say anything bad about Bama (for once), but just said basically that he'd keep the undefeated team in the #1 spot -- all other factors being close enough (my words), which excludes Iowa being too upset because all else isn't as close with them (strength of schedule is what I am referring to).

He was complimentary of DH, and rightfully so.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He's right. They're undefeated and we're not. We keep winning and it all sorts out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
With a four-team playoff, it doesn't matter. But once again - using THAT line of reasoning, why didn't Hawaii play for the 2007 national championship?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.