Kannell (again)...

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I really don't get the SOS factor in ratings.

Good teams can suffer as a result of one loss. If LSU beats Bama do they then go on to lose 3 of 4? Personally I doubt it.

The loss and the manner of it knocked the stuffing out of them and they let it get inside there heads.

It seems crazy to have 5 'power conferences' and a 4 team play off system. If the big 12 adopt a CG going forward which power conference loses out and what happens with independents like ND.

To remove opinion and guarantee a genuine national champion there has to be realignment of the conferences.

Either 8 conferences with 8 championship games and an 8 team national play off system or 4 conferences and a 4 team play off.

I appreciate that's a tiny idea which would require massive change but as an outsider looking in opinion in determining credentials in football is the equivalent of artistic impression in ice skating. Personally I think it devalues it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I really don't get the SOS factor in ratings.

Good teams can suffer as a result of one loss. If LSU beats Bama do they then go on to lose 3 of 4? Personally I doubt it.

The loss and the manner of it knocked the stuffing out of them and they let it get inside there heads.

It seems crazy to have 5 'power conferences' and a 4 team play off system. If the big 12 adopt a CG going forward which power conference loses out and what happens with independents like ND.

To remove opinion and guarantee a genuine national champion there has to be realignment of the conferences.

Either 8 conferences with 8 championship games and an 8 team national play off system or 4 conferences and a 4 team play off.

I appreciate that's a tiny idea which would require massive change but as an outsider looking in opinion in determining credentials in football is the equivalent of artistic impression in ice skating. Personally I think it devalues it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
8 is too many.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Someone on this board proposed 6, with a first round bye for #1 & #2 ranked teams. That seems like the perfect number of teams to me.
4 is the absolute max. Season already stretches into the second week of January as it is. Should go back to 1 vs. 2.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Someone on this board proposed 6, with a first round bye for #1 & #2 ranked teams. That seems like the perfect number of teams to me.
I hate the idea of six because the committee is ranking the teams on all kinds of crazy metrics, and the teams all play such different schedules. Why should any team get a bye based on rankings that are incredibly subjective? Let's say Bama is #2 Tuesday and we struggle with UF on Saturday. Say Michigan St. blasts Iowa and gets moved to 2 while Bama drops to 3 or 4 based on opinion. That is crap, total crap. I don't see how anyone can like the idea of a bye when all the conferences and schedules are so different. I understand the NFL using it because they all play the same teams, but it makes no sense in college football, imo. Use 2 or 4 or even 8 if you must, but please do not consider this bye idea.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think 8 is the natural end game for this playoff system. Give autobids to the power conference champions and 3 at-large bids.

There is some nuance needed because sometimes autobids will backfire (like when Wisconsin won the Big Ten due to Ohio State being ineligible for postseason play), but the general idea is what is needed.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah, she hates all things SEC. Her last name is Dinich.
Absolutely cannot stand her. Before Bama played LSU she tweeted that Alabama didn't deserve their taking at that time. When questioned if Bama would belong in the top 4 after the LSU game she said, meh, maybe.....Not sure.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think 8 is the natural end game for this playoff system. Give autobids to the power conference champions and 3 at-large bids.

There is some nuance needed because sometimes autobids will backfire (like when Wisconsin won the Big Ten due to Ohio State being ineligible for postseason play), but the general idea is what is needed.
Agree - If USC beats Stanford in the PACCG a 4 loss team would be in the playoff. That can't happen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Absolutely cannot stand her. Before Bama played LSU she tweeted that Alabama didn't deserve their taking at that time. When questioned if Bama would belong in the top 4 after the LSU game she said, meh, maybe.....Not sure.
Today she said that Alabama is very questionable because "they have no wins over a team in the FPI top 25". :rolleyes:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
She went to school in Big Ten country and spent most of her career in ACC beats (Baltimore Sun then ESPN's ACC blog).

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Today she said that Alabama is very questionable because "they have no wins over a team in the FPI top 25". :rolleyes:
This was something from selmaborntidefan earlier this week:

No other team in or around the top playoff teams being discussed have played the number of winning teams we have (out season average opponents is like .662 and those other top programs don't have opponents over .600).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If you judge Alabama by the same metrics you judge everyone else, they'd still be the #2 team in the polls. Sparty is the only team with a victory over a 1-loss team and lets be real that one loss team was effectively 1-1 on the season due to how much of a joke their first 10 games were. If Iowa deserves to be #4 with their schedule, Alabama easily deserves to be in the top 4. We live in a world where these guys will proudly list Pitt as a quality win for Iowa on a graphic then ask "who did Alabama actually beat" when we have 5 teams we beat with an equal or better record to Pitt's 8-4.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.