The playoff permutations entering championship week

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Locked up spots
Oklahoma all but clinched a spot in the semifinals with their resounding win in Stillwater for the Big-12 title. They're a hot team right now and I see absolutely no way for it to shake out such that they are left out of the bracket.

The Big Ten Championship game is a defacto play-in game (likely for the 4 seed) between Michigan State and Iowa. If Notre Dame had won last night then I would say that Ohio State was functionally dead for the playoffs, but there is a chance.

Win and they're in
Alabama v. Florida in the SECCG. Could have been a likely play-in game with a Florida win over FSU but that didn't happen so all that could come from this SECCG is Alabama winning or losing their spot in the playoff.

Clemson v. UNC in the ACCCG. Some will argue that this should be a play-in game for the ACC but I think UNC's lacking strength of schedule and a loss to the worst SEC team makes it more likely that this is all about Clemson winning or losing their spot in the playoff too.

Needs one of the two immediately above to lose
Ohio State. With Notre Dame's loss in the waning seconds of their game against Stanford, Ohio State is still alive in this process but they need help.

Needs help and a judgement call
Stanford. Lets see how much playing a tough schedule and winning a conference means to the committee because you can make a convincing (in my opinion correct) argument that Stanford should be the team that gets in if Clemson or Alabama slip up this week. This is assuming that they win their conference against Southern Cal in San Fransisco. They have two losses but they went across the country to play an eventual 10-2 Northwestern at 11am Central to start the season. They also caught Oregon after they had healed up offensively and gotten as hot as any team in the nation. It's a tough call but if Alabama and Clemson don't hold serve then I feel that Stanford should get in if they win the Pac-12.

Edit: Chaos
The biggest chaos would be if Alabama AND Clemson lose this weekend. A lot of things could happen. UNC could reasonably just bubble up into the field with Ohio State or Stanford. It could be Ohio State and Stanford. I think the same players are still in the scenario except UNC could sneak into the field.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I just don't see them putting two teams in from a weak overall conference (Big 10)

I think Stanford gets in assuming they beat the Trojans if the mass chaos happens. I also think UNC gets in under the same scenarios.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I see no way for UNC to get in without the chaos scenario because of how the committee seems to work. You're right that it may be Stanford then Ohio State in the "next man up" line. The reason why I think Ohio State is in good shape is because the committee kept them in the bracket all season despite not playing a good complete football game against Michigan yesterday. They like Ohio State a lot but a Clemson or Bama loss with a Stanford win will really put some of the guidelines to the test.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Stanford is the team that should get in over Ohio State. They played a better schedule, have the best win of the two teams, and won their conference. What the talking heads don't seem to understand is that the rankings can't be strictly based on your win-loss record. Not all schedules are created equal. Kannell religiously says that Clemson is his number one because they're undefeated. IM, and I believe there are some metrics to back this up, but suffering only one loss with our schedule (and Stanford's) is more difficult and thus more impressive that going undefeated with Clemson's schedule or having 1 loss with Ohio State's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Stanford is the team that should get in over Ohio State. They played a better schedule, have the best win of the two teams, and won their conference. What the talking heads don't seem to understand is that the rankings can't be strictly based on your win-loss record. Not all schedules are created equal. Kannell religiously says that Clemson is his number one because they're undefeated. IM, and I believe there are some metrics to back this up, but suffering only one loss with our schedule (and Stanford's) is more difficult and thus more impressive that going undefeated with Clemson's schedule or having 1 loss with Ohio State's.
Stanford has 2 losses, not one. But I wouldn't have a problem with the Buckeyes being left out if Stanford destroys USC.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Everything I have read says that if UNC beats Clemson, Stanford gets in if they win the Pac-12 title game. If Stanford loses, then the ACC title game becomes a play-in game. If Florida somehow beats us, then Stanford gets in if they win. If both Bama and Clemson lose, then Stanford and UNC get in. The only way Ohio State gets in is if Clemson, Bama and Stanford all lose. UNC will have a decent resume if they beat Clemson. We know from last year that the Committee will overlook a bad showing in the first game of the season.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Florida beats Alabama the SEC is left out. The same in the ACC, if UNC beats Clemson the ACC is eliminated. If both of these were to happen, Stanford (assuming they beat S Cal) and tOSU get in. IMO if Alabama or Clemson loses then tOSU is in.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
I believe Oklahoma will be the 4 seed. They will drop them one spot as punishment for not playing in a conference championship.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I disagree, if everything "goes chalk" this week then I see the Big Ten champion as the 4 seed and Oklahoma as the 3 seed. That means that yet again we'll catch the hottest team of the group in the semis...gotta play 'em sometime though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.