Mark Richt Fired by UGA, Hired by the Canes

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

We lost McElwain during the 2011 NC run.

I believe, if they target Smart, he would continue his responsibilities to us throughout our season. My main worry is that we recruit so heavily in Georgia and I don't know how this will affect that.

But don't underestimate Georgia's ability to screw this up.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Basically, Georgia has what some LSU people apparently though they had. Georgia has been consistently almost-great. Les at LSU won a championship, he went to a second championship game. Richt has a lot of wins there, but little else... and he hasn't had to face Saban every year.

But, to reiterate, the absurdity that Richt pulled for the Florida game probably cost him his job. That's a rivalry game, that has big implications, you don't throw someone completely ill-prepared out there like he did. That was as close to a "fire me" move as I've ever seen.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

According to the press release today Richt is staying at UGA in an administrative role. Of course things can always change but for now it doesn't look like he will be pursuing another head coaching job..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

A big part of the reason Pruitt rubbed folks on that staff the wrong way was he tried to implement a lot of the things he learned during his time at Bama. Some folks just didn't like it. I don't think that would be an issue for us.
yeah, part of the uga psyche is every year thinking that they have landed the next herschel type difference maker. a coach that won't automatically hand their incoming 5-star recruit(s) the keys from the get go is not going to fare well there.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL

According to the press release today Richt is staying at UGA in an administrative role. Of course things can always change but for now it doesn't look like he will be pursuing another head coaching job..
Administrative rôles don't pay nearly as well as head coaching gigs…not doubting what you posted, just saying he'd be leaving a pile of money on the table.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Administrative rôles don't pay nearly as well as head coaching gigs…not doubting what you posted, just saying he'd be leaving a pile of money on the table.
He's been making a pile of money for 15 years. I doubt he takes much of a paycut in his administrative role..

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I'm going to say this.. I just don't see that one happening.... I mean Pruitt is a good coach, but still... I'm just not sold on him. We definitely have another option in Mel Tucker... I mean Mel should get DC job... Only way Pruitt comes back if he's a DC.... and I don't know if that will sit right for Mel Tucker... Given the mess that Jeremy created in Georgia in some part... I'm not sure if I want him back at Alabama so soon.
Mel Tucker has only been here one year. Do you really think his opinion on this matter carries any weight? Pruitt ran a national championship defense at FSU and cobbled together the only functioning unit on a dysfunctional UGA team. He is also a great recruiter. He's not necessarily a sweetheart of a guy. But it's just as likely that the dissension he caused at UGA was for all the right reasons.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

yeah, part of the uga psyche is every year thinking that they have landed the next herschel type difference maker. a coach that won't automatically hand their incoming 5-star recruit(s) the keys from the get go is not going to fare well there.
You mean like Jacob Eason? He's going to be their savior, right?

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL

He's been making a pile of money for 15 years. I doubt he takes much of a paycut in his administrative role..
True about the 15 years but to pay a new HC several dollars and continue paying the old HC several million dollars doesn't happen. Maybe they will but they'd be foolish to do so and they'd end up with a situation much like AU and Pat Dye with someone behind the scenes potentially undermining the current coach. If I'm a top notch head coach or someone like Kirby Smart there'd be no way I would take that position with the old guy being behind the scenes possibly critiquing my every move to boosters that he has known well for a decade and a half, some of which who didn't want him relieved of his duties in the first place.

JMO and I hope that you're right because it would be fun to watch from the other side and they'll really be setting themselves up for potential problems.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.