Mark Richt Fired by UGA, Hired by the Canes

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Re: Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

UGA Insider says that Tom Herman has agreed in principal to be the new HC.
Hard to believe just based on the quickness, but good move if so. If not, I can't imagine Kirby is higher than, say, candidate #3 for them. I'd be more worried about SCar for him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

True about the 15 years but to pay a new HC several dollars and continue paying the old HC several million dollars doesn't happen. Maybe they will but they'd be foolish to do so and they'd end up with a situation much like AU and Pat Dye with someone behind the scenes potentially undermining the current coach. If I'm a top notch head coach or someone like Kirby Smart there'd be no way I would take that position with the old guy being behind the scenes possibly critiquing my every move to boosters that he has known well for a decade and a half, some of which who didn't want him relieved of his duties in the first place.

JMO and I hope that you're right because it would be fun to watch from the other side and they'll really be setting themselves up for potential problems.
Yea. I'm not talking about what I would do or what's best for UGA. I'm just talking about the information that was released today. It doesn't sound like Richt is overly interested in jumping right back into coaching..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

UGA Insider says that Tom Herman has agreed in principal to be the new HC.
I honestly think that would be a pretty hire for UGA.

As far Pruitt coming here, I have no idea how CNS would feel about that, but I do know one thing: nobody here or on any other message board knows what CNS will do. If I've learned one thing in his 9 seasons here, it's there aren't any of the "insiders" who have been consistently right about what CNS is going do with his program. From Lance Thompson, to leaving for Texas, to Lane Kiffin, to who he was going hire when Mac and Nuss were to hire, to what he was going to do when Stoutland and Pannunzio were implicated in the Miami stuff, nobody has known what he was going to do. Along with being a great coach, I think the fact that he doesn't tell a lot of people who leak out what his intentions is why he is the best in the business.

If he thinks Pruitt is the best guy for the job and gives us the best chance to win, that's who he'll hire if Pruitt wants to come.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I guess it's championship or bust for these programs. Sad for him. He's probably 10-3 win coach this season that's being let go. Wow!!!

Look at at his ridiculous schedule: Chumps and five SEC wins against teams with an 8-29 record.

I guess it's championship or bust for these programs. Sad for him. He's probably 10-3 win coach this season that's being let go. Wow!!!

Look at at his ridiculous schedule: Chumps and five SEC wins against teams with an 8-29 record.
That's true, but still. 10 wins.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Fanfare!

I honestly think that would be a pretty hire for UGA.

As far Pruitt coming here, I have no idea how CNS would feel about that, but I do know one thing: nobody here or on any other message board knows what CNS will do. If I've learned one thing in his 9 seasons here, it's there aren't any of the "insiders" who have been consistently right about what CNS is going do with his program. From Lance Thompson, to leaving for Texas, to Lane Kiffin, to who he was going hire when Mac and Nuss were to hire, to what he was going to do when Stoutland and Pannunzio were implicated in the Miami stuff, nobody has known what he was going to do. Along with being a great coach, I think the fact that he doesn't tell a lot of people who leak out what his intentions is why he is the best in the business.

If he thinks Pruitt is the best guy for the job and gives us the best chance to win, that's who he'll hire if Pruitt wants to come.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

not seeing the Herman rumor anywhere else anyone have a link?

Not sure that is a good hire anyway. Guy has one year of HC experience? We know he can win with other peoples players and a weak schedule, can he build a program? Who knows

I li think his extraordinary bungling of the Florida game took the veils off folks' eyes. He was never very smart or engaged.

That's what I think too. I guess the norm for administrations have changed. You have to win at least one big one and Richt couldn't do that.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

The Herman story is on Twitter. I will post it if I see it again.

Dawgs 247, 247 Sports, Josh Newberg. Those are a few reporting the interest on Twitter. The UGA Insider tweet was deleted, because apparently that may not even be a legit source.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

My gut feeling is that Richt is a bit worn out at the moment and won't get back into coaching immediately. When and if he does it will be at a lower level IMHO.

bamapair

3rd Team
Dec 15, 2005
Sheffield, AL

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I would love to see the LSU meltdown if Georgia announced Jimbo is their next coach. (I know it's not happening, but it would be funny.)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

A big part of the reason Pruitt rubbed folks on that staff the wrong way was he tried to implement a lot of the things he learned during his time at Bama. Some folks just didn't like it. I don't think that would be an issue for us.
It was more about tampering with recruits.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

The Herman story is on Twitter. I will post it if I see it again.

Dawgs 247, 247 Sports, Josh Newberg. Those are a few reporting the interest on Twitter. The UGA Insider tweet was deleted, because apparently that may not even be a legit source.
thank you

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.