Mark Richt Fired by UGA, Hired by the Canes

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

As for any potential replacement for Kirby, did Sal Sunseri burn any bridges?
Again, I think only CNS could answer that. Everything else is speculation. Tosh Lupoi is another name that seems to getting bounced around a potential replacement, but it is really anybody's guess, and that's all it will be until CNS names a new DC if Kirby leaves.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Again, I think only CNS could answer that. Everything else is speculation. Tosh Lupoi is another name that seems to getting bounced around a potential replacement, but it is really anybody's guess, and that's all it will be until CNS names a new DC if Kirby leaves.
Well that's stating the obvious. Of coarse only Coach knows what he will do.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Not so fast on Kirby.

Chip Kelly might be the man. Its clear his days in Philly are numbered.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

According to the press release today Richt is staying at UGA in an administrative role. Of course things can always change but for now it doesn't look like he will be pursuing another head coaching job..
Like Mack Brown at Texas, Richt will assume the position of VP In Charge Of Collecting the Balance of My Contract.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

We were all distracted by the miles situation that Uga snuck this in. Honestly the same is true at Uga as it was at lsu. If Uga hired the best available coach today they'd rehire mark richt.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

The fact that he has removed his name from the USCe job, says he really wants the job at UGA. I haven't texted my connection back, because I feel like they need time as a family as the original suggestion was that the whole staff would be let go today. I haven't seen any reports, and if I hear anything I will post.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

I guess it's championship or bust for these programs. Sad for him. He's probably 10-3 win coach this season that's being let go. Wow!!!

Look at at his ridiculous schedule: Chumps and five SEC wins against teams with an 8-29 record.
What all of these schools are really wanting is a coach who can beat Nick Saban not once, but repeatedly year after year.
All those with any common sense know that's not going to happen as long as CNS is still at the Capstone. And, like I've said before, is that there's only so much room at the top, and for now, that spot is occupied.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

From all I have been hearing, Dog fans have been clamoring for Smart.
Hiring someone with no head coach experience, at a big-time program who just let go of a very good coach, would be idiotic. I'm not calling you an idiot for mentioning it, i'm calling the University of Georgia decision makers idiotic if they do it. Hopefully the Georgia brass will not listen to their fans (like ours did when we hired Dubose).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Hiring someone with no head coach experience, at a big-time program who just let go of a very good coach, would be idiotic. I'm not calling you an idiot for mentioning it, i'm calling the University of Georgia decision makers idiotic if they do it. Hopefully the Georgia brass will not listen to their fans (like ours did when we hired Dubose).
Leaving aside the wisdom from UGA's end, if mama calls, Kirby should answer. Too good an opportunity to pass up.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I tend to agree with this. While Smart may develop into a major HC at some point; in today's environment a major program like UGA is less likely to hire a well thought of assistant coach as opposed to a program like USCe, Miss State or Ole Miss.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Leaving aside the wisdom from UGA's end, if mama calls, Kirby should answer. Too good an opportunity to pass up.
I agree - they shouldn't offer it to him, but if they do he has to take it. He is a great recruiter and GA is a state full of talent. Surround himself with talented coaches and coordinators and he could do well there.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I don't take any offense to that but will point out Richt was an assistant when he was hired.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.