Mark Richt Fired by UGA, Hired by the Canes

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

Herman going to Georgia is not good for anyone in the SEC except Georgia. I think he is that good a coach.
And a great recruiter, and a leader. He seems to have all of the required qualities. But so does Smart.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Well I'm glad this game will be in Ttown next year, is all I can say, if TH gets the job.
As for the rest of the East - now you almost have what the West has, quality coaches at the highest-profile programs. The East will be really tough next year, depending on who goes to SC.

Goldrush

Sep 22, 2015

But, to reiterate, the absurdity that Richt pulled for the Florida game probably cost him his job. That's a rivalry game, that has big implications, you don't throw someone completely ill-prepared out there like he did. That was as close to a "fire me" move as I've ever seen.
A lot of people have strong opinions on Mark Richt's decision for the GA/FLA game.

These opinions are based on incomplete information.

I don't want to betray any confidences, so this will be my last public comment on this issue.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

Well I'm glad this game will be in Ttown next year, is all I can say, if TH gets the job.
As for the rest of the East - now you almost have what the West has, quality coaches at the highest-profile programs. The East will be really tough next year, depending on who goes to SC.
Georgia? That game won't happen in Tuscaloosa for quite a while.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

Herman going to Georgia is not good for anyone in the SEC except Georgia. I think he is that good a coach.
Or he could be the next flash in a pan like Gus. One year as a HC at Houston is way too short of a resume to know for sure. He may turn out great, but it'll be a while before we know for sure.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i dont think we play them again until 2020, unless it's in the sec cg

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Or he could be the next flash in a pan like Gus. One year as a HC at Houston is way too short of a resume to know for sure. He may turn out great, but it'll be a while before we know for sure.
Agreed

we have no idea if he can build a program, develop players or recruit at all. The CFB landscape is littered with coaches that won with other peoples teams and then failed to deliver

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

Exactly. I haven't been impressed with the last HC that came out of Houston either. As long as Saban is in Tuscaloosa, I'm not worried about the next supposedly up & coming coach.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

You don't have to betray any confidences; just give us a hint. Inquiring minds want to know. It just looked like a dumb move.
A lot of people have strong opinions on Mark Richt's decision for the GA/FLA game.

I don't want to betray any confidences, so this will be my last public comment on this issue.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Dan Mullen would love to coach at UGA too
Never mind I see it's been mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

What did Richt do for the Florida game that was bad? (Other than lose). I did not see the game or remember anything about it.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

So you post something to say nothing. Good job.

I know the real reason Richt made the decisions he made.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think he benched Lambert in favor of a relative unknown backup to start the game.
He wasn't a backup. He was a third-string quarterback who'd only attempted 5 passes in his college career.

Richt's publicly stated (if there's some secret reason this was basically a lie) rational for the change was how he'd looked in practice, the previous week. He went 15/33 with 0 touchdowns and 4 interceptions and has not thrown a pass since then. It was one of the worst choices in terms of starting a QB I have ever seen. He didn't start his third stringer against Florida, with the division on the line because of injuries (if he is to be believed). He did it because he felt like it... boneheaded doesn't properly describe it. If you watched the game you'd get the impression he just didn't want to win that game.

If he decided to bench someone for behavioral issues, then it's not much in the way of discipline if you keep it secret. It was, as he presented it, inexplicable. It's a terrible decision unless someone was injured or suspended and Richt never said either was the case.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I haven't read earlier posts about since there are at least 12 pages in this thread, but if I were the AD at South Carolina, I'd give Mark Richt a call. I'm sure he knows the recruiting territory in South Carolina and he sure does in Gawga.

I think they would be very happy with 9+ wins EVERY year! They couldn't even get that with Coach Superior!

An article seemed to say that he could take another position at Gawga. If I were the new coach: Kirby S., I would not want a former coach looking over my shoulder.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.