Mark Richt Fired by UGA, Hired by the Canes

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Re: Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

I too think he's a really good HC, but, so was Sumlin before he took The TAMU HC'ing job or when TAMU joined the SEC I should say..Things changes usually when the SEC Grind introduces itself to its new HC's..
Yeah. Herman coming to UGA worries me. At least with Smart, I can assume there will be a period where he's cutting his teeth, so to speak, learning to be a head coach.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

The entire above post by Jdawg09 is a crock.
well, to be fair, the most exciting things to happen with uga football in the past several years was the anticipation of a #1 year in the lead up to the 2008 blackout, being "5 yards away" in the 2012 seccg and hiring a new coach. so i am sure there are many fans chomping at the bit to feel relevant in this rare moment of excitement

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

From the list of potential candidates that I have seen. To me Mullins makes the most sense, the guy has State competitive year in and year out. Just imagine what he can do at UGA with the kind of talent they have over there.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

well, to be fair, the most exciting things to happen with uga football in the past several years was the anticipation of a #1 year in the lead up to the 2008 blackout, being "5 yards away" in the 2012 seccg and hiring a new coach. so i am sure there are many fans chomping at the bit to feel relevant in this rare moment of excitement
Don't forget about the "Dream Team", 92.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

From the list of potential candidates that I have seen. To me Mullins makes the most sense, the guy has State competitive year in and year out. Just imagine what he can do at UGA with the kind of talent they have over there.
Except, Mullen has never shown he can recruit (to be fair, so many more players in Georgia than in Mississippi), he lacks the wow factor, and his offense will cost UGA its erstwhile savior -- the Eason kid ain't running the read option.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I just heard on ESPN News that Richt has said he wants to keep coaching and is willing to talk to whomever is interested in him.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

If he was looking for a lower pressure job where he might thrive better than most would expect I think the UVA job could be interesting.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I guess Auburn is going to hire him as OC and have two fired East coaches as their coordinators. Richt could be the angel on Gus's left shoulder and Muschamp could be the devil on his right.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I saw a PC during lunch with Richt and some UGA executive were sitting together taking questions. Now, my question is why in the world if you are Richt would you be having a PC at UGA taking questions on why you were fired while sitting next to the UGA executive that most likely fired you? I distinctly remember the question he was asked was why he thought he was fired and his response was basically it came down to the fact that UGA leadership didnt have confidence in his ability to lead the program to where it wanted to go in the future. Really bizarre and it sort of portrayed Richt as weak imo. I understand he might stay on their payroll in some capacity but geesh if you are wanting new employment distance yourself from your previous employer first in this situation...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I'm still not sold that Coach Smart is their #1 target, there's no reason in the world why Georgia couldn't or wouldn't go after some Big Dog HC's, that has already proven their system works & not go hiring an unproven assistant coach as their HC..They have the resources to hire lets say a Fedora from UNC or Chip Kelly if he wants to dance with Coach Saban in the SEC & get the heck out of the NFL..

I think it would be foolish to fire Richt only to hire an unproven assistant to replace him..And the article says Pruitt would replace Coach Smart as our DC & I don't believe that one iota, if Coach Smart does leave, I'd put money on Mel Tucker being given our DC job..Pruitt then would come back & fill Tucker's old spot on our staff(if he even comes back)

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I'm still not sold that Coach Smart is their #1 target, there's no reason in the world why Georgia couldn't or wouldn't go after some Big Dog HC's, that has already proven their system works & not go hiring an unproven assistant coach as their HC..They have the resources to hire lets say a Fedora from UNC or Chip Kelly if he wants to dance with Coach Saban in the SEC & get the heck out of the NFL..

I think it would be foolish to fire Richt only to hire an unproven assistant to replace him..And the article says Pruitt would replace Coach Smart as our DC & I don't believe that one iota, if Coach Smart does leave, I'd put money on Mel Tucker being given our DC job..Pruitt then would come back & fill Tucker's old spot on our staff(if he even comes back)
i can't imagine that even the ptb in the uga athletic department are myopic enough to put all of their eggs in one basket

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

i can't imagine that even the ptb in the uga athletic department are myopic enough to put all of their eggs in one basket
Any AD worth his salt has a "what if short list" for a replacement for the head coach in the major sports. You would be foolish not to. Kirby may be number one on that list, but there has to be others. If he pushed Richt out the door with only one candidate in mind, then McGarity was an absolute idiot.

So could UGA land a "big name head coach" instead of Kirby? Yeah, but UGA is different from many schools in the SEC, having a brother that taught there and two nephews that graduated from UGA and still live in Athens. Unlike Bama or other SEC programs, UGA doesn't have the big name power brokers when it comes to boosters. They have a handful of less powerful supports that weld influence but not so much that they call pull McGarity or the President's strings to make something happen.

I think McGarity sees Kirby, if he can land him, a safe and popular hire. And that is the reason he is going there first.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

To be fair, the AJC also mentions Mullen. But the girth of the coverage clearly points toward Master Smart.

Any AD worth his salt has a "what if short list" for a replacement for the head coach in the major sports. You would be foolish not to. Kirby may be number one on that list, but there has to be others. If he pushed Richt out the door with only one candidate in mind, then McGarity was an absolute idiot.

So could UGA land a "big name head coach" instead of Kirby? Yeah, but UGA is different from many schools in the SEC, having a brother that taught there and two nephews that graduated from UGA and still live in Athens. Unlike Bama or other SEC programs, UGA doesn't have the big name power brokers when it comes to boosters. They have a handful of less powerful supports that weld influence but not so much that they call pull McGarity or the President's strings to make something happen.

I think McGarity sees Kirby, if he can land him, a safe and popular hire. And that is the reason he is going there first.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I just saw on Fox News the interview with Richt. He said he looks forward to coaching again as a head coach, coordinator or position coach whatever opportunity comes up that peeks his interest. So, with all the speculation that Lane is gone after this season would Richt get a ring from Coach Saban?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I just saw on Fox News the interview with Richt. He said he looks forward to coaching again as a head coach, coordinator or position coach whatever opportunity comes up that peeks his interest. So, with all the speculation that Lane is gone after this season would Richt get a ring from Coach Saban?
Please no.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.