Mark Richt Fired by UGA, Hired by the Canes

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Mark Richt Fired (per Mark Schlabach)

Richt will be a head coach again, and I'd expect it to be in the very near future. Too many quality job openings, too many programs that would consider him an immediate improvement. He may not be great, but for a mid-tier program he'd be a great addition.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, but I just don't think Smart to UGA is a sure thing. Mama calling is of course a huge factor that can't be ignored. I just haven't gotten the vibe that Smart really wants to be a head coach or move on from Bama. Some pretty high-quality jobs have come open while he has coached here and he hasn't taken a chance at any of them. Hasn't even tried the Mac route and gone to a mid-major school, and I doubt it is for a lack of offers or interest.

Either way I wish Coach Smart the best, I think he is a great coach and the chance to go back and coach at your alma mater is one that few people get to take. My main concern is how his leaving would effect our bowl/NC prep. Even with best intent in the world I would find it hard to believe that an assistant who has been picked up for a big HC job wouldn't have one eye on his next job. Having two coordinators in this boat might be kind of distracting. Also would hate to see some of our defensive recruits from Georgia and already considering the Dawgs flip to UGA!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Now, if we can just get The Human Hand Grenade, aka Coach BOOM, to take the UGA job..............

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The B1G East would get another solid coach if they can reel in Richt. Now we need the West to up their game.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Listening to Mike & Mike with CC this morning and they all seem to think Smart is more less a done deal at UGA. Hard to blame Kirby if he goes. At the same time, I've heard his wife and family really love Tuscaloosa, but hey when "Mama calls..." We all get that. Like many on here, I still think he needed to do like Coach Mac and cut his teeth at a mid-major before jumping into the fire with a job like Georgia. I wish him all the success in the world except when he plays Bama.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Much success to him. Heard them discussing the possibility of this on the radio but wasn't sure if it would actually happen. I was hoping they would give the interim coach a shot but cant be mad at this hire at all.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Richt is a fantastic hire for Miami - I expect him to challenge for the ACC championship regularly.

Jimbo will lose sleep over this.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

And, I'll be bet he winds up reeling in a top 10 recruiting class, too.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if he has the U in the ACC Championship game next year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if he has the U in the ACC Championship game next year.
Y'all must be seeing a different Mark Richt. He had just as much talent in a 75-mile radius of Athens. Even when he got some of those players -- and Georgia whiffed on a surprising number of the state's best -- what did he do with it, particularly with a watered down East for the past 5 years?

Maybe his firing will re-energize him, but he's been stealing money in Athens for some time now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.