Next for Richt?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If LK leaves Bama, I wouldn't mind him being OC; he had pretty decent offenses at FSU (and at GA when injuries weren't riddling the starting lineup). Don't know if he'd be willing to go back to being an OC but unless he goes to a much lesser program, his resume ain't gonna call for the really big bucks IMO.
I would not be bowled over by any means...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
There are plenty of coaching opportunities available this go-round, for sure. But I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Richt take some time off and maybe try for another HC job in the 2017 season. He obviously needs some rest, and a year away from the game won't hurt him, his family or professional reputation one bit. In the coaching game, there is always next year.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The clowns out UGA need to remember he was about 5 yards away from winning a National Title a few years ago. No way Notre Dame would have beaten them either.
Who do you think they blame for not getting that 5 yards? Probably the biggest reason he got fired, rather than the reason to keep him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Who do you think they blame for not getting that 5 yards? Probably the biggest reason he got fired, rather than the reason to keep him.
Ummm, no. He put his team in a position to beat Alabama and they came up just short. No reasonable person would fire a head coach for that game. Kelly's ND team got curb stomped by Alabama and he got a raise.

He got fired for what happened after that season. 3 down years in the SECe and zero division championships.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Ummm, no. He put his team in a position to beat Alabama and they came up just short. No reasonable person would fire a head coach for that game. Kelly's ND team got curb stomped by Alabama and he got a raise.

He got fired for what happened after that season. 3 down years in the SECe and zero division championships.
And that's why I do not see him going to a high profile program as HC. It ain't about what you did 10 or 15 years ago; and when a trend develops (whoville, Barn) that's going in the wrong direction, changes are usually made.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
As I recall on the last play, their QB was motioning that he wanted to spike the ball and set up a play, but was apparently overruled by the sideline. Could be wrong, I'm old ...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As I recall on the last play, their QB was motioning that he wanted to spike the ball and set up a play, but was apparently overruled by the sideline. Could be wrong, I'm old ...
It is hard to argue with the decision to push there. Alabama's defense was on its heels. Just poor execution by GA and great execution by Alabama. One play changed the course of their program.

IMO, Richt's failure came the following year. He openly admitted that the last play of that game haunted him. If he wasn't moving on, how could his players?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It is hard to argue with the decision to push there. Alabama's defense was on its heels. Just poor execution by GA and great execution by Alabama. One play changed the course of their program.

IMO, Richt's failure came the following year. He openly admitted that the last play of that game haunted him. If he wasn't moving on, how could his players?
This is what sets Saban apart from the crowd. He truly only concerns himself with the moment at hand. Not the past, not the future.

Not only is he an insanely hard worker, extremely talented at his craft, but also able to move on from failures in an instant and not allow himself to be distracted by possibilities.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This is what sets Saban apart from the crowd. He truly only concerns himself with the moment at hand. Not the past, not the future.

Not only is he an insanely hard worker, extremely talented at his craft, but also able to move on from failures in an instant and not allow himself to be distracted by possibilities.
Wholly agree with the vast majority of what you say. Might take a bit of issue with what I put in bold. IMHO he recruits with a eye to the future, case in point, more nimble, somewhat less bulky D personnel that can run with the spread teams. Also, I believe in their preparations they often look down the road some at how to prepare for future opponents, not just the one for the week at hand.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The couple of UGA boosters that I know really thought that this was their year. They believed that Florida and Tennessee were both on the way up, but that they should win the East pretty easily and believed that they would only have to beat Aubie in the SEC Championship game. They thought next year would be more of a struggle. Frankly, I don't think that was an unreasonable position at the beginning of the year.

Disappointment in this season and a perceived lack of fire/enthusiasm from the head coach was a deadly combination. I'm not sure CMR was all that excited about coming back next year, either.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

You obviously do not live in GA. Right was crucified locally for not spiking the ball and regrouping , then calling a huddled play. Of course. Had they huddled, with the same result , Richt would of been crucified for not striking while the Bama D was on its heels.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Here in Fl, there is a report that Miami is showing s strong interest in Richt. Behind the scenes of course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.