A closer look at Alabama's offense under Lane Kiffin

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Love him or hate him, our players have set numerous all-time records with him as the OC. Now he has had a lot of great players to work with, but so has everybody here since 2008.

Here's a look at the records that have fallen under his watch:

Amari Cooper - 124 catches for 1,727 yards and 16 receiving touchdowns for the year, all Alabama single-season records.

The previous records were 78 (Julio Jones, 2010), 1,133 (Jones), and 11 (Cooper 2012).

Cooper had 228 receptions for 3,463 yards and 31 touchdowns for his career, making him the most prolific receiver in UA history. The old records were 194 catches (DJ Hall, 2004-07), 2,923 yards (DJ Hall), and 18 (Dennis Homan, 1965-67).

Coop also finished 1st for the all-time SEC receptions record, and 2nd for career yards and single season yards.

SEC Records:

Career yards
3,759 Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (262 catches), 2010-13
3,463 Amari Cooper, Alabama (219), 2012-14

Season receptions
124 Amari Cooper, Alabama (1,727 yards), 2012-14
112 Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (1,477), 2010-13

Season receiving yards
1,740 Josh Reed, LSU (94 catches), 2001
1,727 Amari Cooper, Alabama (124), 2014

Blake Sims - Blake Sims set Alabama's all-time single season passing yards record with 3,487, breaking AJ McCarron's previous record of 3,063. Blake's 28 TD passes are 2nd only to AJ's record of 30 in 2012.

His 445 yard, 4 TD game against Florida is the highest by a Bama QB in Bryant-Denny stadium, and 2nd all-time to Scott Hunter's 484 yard in 1969.

Blake's performance against Florida for 484 in total offense yards (passing and rushing) is the highest single game total, breaking Scott Hunter's 457 performance in 1969. His yearly total of 3,837 yards is the most season total offense record.

His 85.1% completion percentage in the 2014 SECCG is the highest percentage ever in game, breaking Jason Campbell's previous record 77.1% mark set in 2004.

Derrick Henry - Derrick's season is obviously is not over yet, but even so, as of now, he holds the all-time single season rushing record of 1,797 yards (and counting) breaking Trent's previous record 1,687. He is less than 100 yards from breaking Herschel Walker's all time SEC record of 1891 yards, set in 1981.

Derrick broke the Trent's school record of 21 TD's, and now stands at 22 TD's and counting.

His 271 yards last night is an Iron Bowl record, breaking Bo Jackson's previous record of 256 yards.

His four 200+ games put him in a 3 way tie with Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker for most all time.

He currently stands at 3,169 yards, which is 6th all time in school history, despite this being his first year as a starting RB. He needs 396 yards to break Shaun Alexander's school record.

Say what you want about Kiffin, but his offenses have produced some crazy numbers and a whole lot of wins. He seems to be the "go to guy" to hate on as soon as something doesn't work offensively, but doesn't seem to get much credit when they do.

This most likely is his last year here, but no matter how you feel about him, its hard to say he hasn't been good for our offense. I just hope the next guy is a good one, because he's got some big (and expensive :)) shoes to fill!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I appreciate what he has done and he has contributed to many wins. That said, I give him a lot of credit for what Blake accomplished and that added to the yards Cooper built up. Cooper and Henry are running on their God given talent and the hard work and discipline they brought with them. Kiffin cannot take much credit for that, they are owed a lot of gratitude, along with the offensive line and other coaches.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice work! Yea, I like LK and know he has had an impact...especially with Coop and Blake. But Henry is just a phenomenon that happened because we have no three-headed monster in the backfield like we normally do and, because he is a beast of course. We are going to miss him.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I appreciate what he has done and he has contributed to many wins. That said, I give him a lot of credit for what Blake accomplished and that added to the yards Cooper built up. Cooper and Henry are running on their God given talent and the hard work and discipline they brought with them. Kiffin cannot take much credit for that, they are owed a lot of gratitude, along with the offensive line and other coaches.
The coach though still has to get them in a position to use all that natural talent by calling the right plays etc.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If we beat Florida, then that's two SEC Championships and a possible NC, again. I have NO problems at all with our coordinator's and want them both to stay. Lane is Lane, and maybe it's a good thing he and coach Saban are honest with each other, it may be kind of a father son relationship with the age difference. At the end of the day, I would think coach Saban puts results and player development ahead of personality difference. If coach thinks Lane is a worthy OC, I hope the job is there for Lane to keep if he wants to. Three years under coach Saban looks twice as good as two years imo, for the resume.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
If we beat Florida, then that's two SEC Championships and a possible NC, again. I have NO problems at all with our coordinator's and want them both to stay. Lane is Lane, and maybe it's a good thing he and coach Saban are honest with each other, it may be kind of a father son relationship with the age difference. At the end of the day, I would think coach Saban puts results and player development ahead of personality difference. If coach thinks Lane is a worthy OC, I hope the job is there for Lane to keep if he wants to. Three years under coach Saban looks twice as good as two years imo, for the resume.
Thing is, coaches come to work for Saban to learn how he runs a program. A couple of years in the program is sufficient for guys like Lane and Mario to absorb the blueprint and implement their own version of it. There are way too many jobs open at all levels this year to hope we will keep all of our excellent coaches though. Admittedly, however, hope you are right and they stay.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I would really like to see him stay one more year. He recruited Blake Barnett and it might be a lot of fun watching him progress.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Thing is, coaches come to work for Saban to learn how he runs a program. A couple of years in the program is sufficient for guys like Lane and Mario to absorb the blueprint and implement their own version of it. There are way too many jobs open at all levels this year to hope we will keep all of our excellent coaches though. Admittedly, however, hope you are right and they stay.
You have a point, but I believe 3 twice as good as 2. Two years is iffy if you want to be considered under someone's coaching tree. Look at McElwain's introduction presser, he didn't get that with 2 years imo. The concept, attitude, the process hand gesture's, staying a mental step ahead of any question etc., it had Saban all over it.

You have a point, but I believe 3 twice as good as 2. Two years is iffy if you want to be considered under someone's coaching tree. Look at McElwain's introduction presser, he didn't get that with 2 years imo. The concept, attitude, the process hand gesture's, staying a mental step ahead of any question etc., it had Saban all over it.
I swear you are a good addition to Tidefans!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
Am I the only one who think that Lane sorta evolved with his offensive philosophy throughout this season? I'd never imagined that Lane would be one of those conservative, run-first and play action offensive play caller. In fact, we don't see our offense doing too much cuteness anymore.

Am I the only one who think that Lane sorta evolved with his offensive philosophy throughout this season? I'd never imagined that Lane would be one of those conservative, run-first and play action offensive play caller. In fact, we don't see our offense doing too much cuteness anymore.
Unlike his predecessor, he adapted.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
He is very creative but that comes with a price, namely he risk of being too cute at times.
The screen passes and pass routes are quite impressive, but when the running game is working I would prefer he stick with it, rather than deviate. I don't have stats to backup my thoughts, just the impression that we need to pound the ball rather than go for the home run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Underrated is that he has clearly adapted the offense to keep Coker comfortable too. Coker doesn't have big yardage in November (under 200 yards per game) but he's completing nearly 70% of his passes, 4 TDs to 1 INT, and he's only had 3 sacks. Also, the WR production has been balanced out between Ridley and Stewart much more. Ridley with 22 catches for 266 and 2 TDs. Stewart with 19 catches for 205 and 1 TD. Mullaney and Howard have been quiet lately but they're due to get more opportunities as teams have to respect both Ridley AND Stewart now.

Stewart wasn't really suppose to be the #2 receiver this year much less the true freshman Ridley be the #1 receiver. Everything with the passing game has kinda just been managed this year but managing to string something together that complements your best player is not always easy for coaches.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Kiffin has done a solid job, would like to see him one more year too but I wouldn't doubt if someone else good is already on speed dial lined up. I fully expect clk to be looked at by Memphis and Houston ... Not to say he will take it but i believe he will be looked at.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.