A closer look at Alabama's offense under Lane Kiffin

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011
We could have won against Ole Miss, and more definitively against Auburn, if our offense had been allowed to wear out their defense in the first half.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We could have won against Ole Miss, and more definitively against Auburn, if our offense had been allowed to wear out their defense in the first half.
Don't forget the Ohio State game last year.

I'm glad Kiffin has decided to let Henry run the ball often enough to win the game. I wonder who's idea that was? :)

Kiffin's comfort zone seems to be qb development, there's no argument there. He's done wonders in that area since he's been here.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Here's another thought.. Will Kiffin make another adjustment to offense now if We win against Florida? Give him a month and he'll adjust the offense based on the team's improvement throughout the year...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think Kiffin has done a pretty good job for us. The biggest worry is that across both of his seasons with us so far, the offense has been dominated by one player and there hasn't been much balance. On one hand, credit to Kiffin for understanding who his star player is and getting them in the position to maximize their impact, but on the other hand it's risky to have that much production from one player cause if they get nicked it's really, really hard to replace. Sometimes I think he can get a bit too cute and finesse, especially given what we saw in the fourth quarter Saturday, but that's a style/preference thing...

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college
If I were in CLK shoes, I much rather stay under Saban's wing for a 3rd year than take the Memphis or Houston job. I just don't see Lane taking a HC position in a school that isn't in the one of the Power 5 conferences. Plus, he heavily recruited QB Blake Barnett as I'm sure he would like to work with him with his development especially if Barnett is our starter next year.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I've been pretty impressed with CLK's job as OC for Alabama, even my USCw family members have been impressed. I would've loved to have seen his work with the 2012 offensive line. I think some people still dislike the guy because of what he was doing before he came to Alabama, and haven't been willing to see the work he has done while here. I seriously doubt anyone here would've expected the Blake Sims that grew into the QB position that we all saw, and Kiffin is a huge reason for that development. Coker has certainly grown as well despite the inconsistent o-line and WR play. He also showed some maturity in sticking with called run plays, which most people have been calling for; you can't praise Henry for his willingness to run the ball himself and yet still criticize Kiffin for not running the ball. I'll be a bit sad to see CLK move, but that's what happens in the coaching business.

If CLK decides to leave, then I'm sure CNS will have a perfectly capable replacement. Someone that is strong on working with the QB's while also flexible in his gameplanning/calling would be my preference. My preferred choice would be the OC/OL guy at Stanford, but that's just me.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
CLK has definitely had a positive impact on the offense as well as QB and Receiver development. Overall he's been good at calling particular plays at the right moment. But IMO he still has his "Pet Plays" he's going to inject into the game regardless of situation and/or game flow. For the life of me I simply cannot figure out WHY!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Love him or hate him, our players have set numerous all-time records with him as the OC. Now he has had a lot of great players to work with, but so has everybody here since 2008.

Here's a look at the records that have fallen under his watch:

Amari Cooper - 124 catches for 1,727 yards and 16 receiving touchdowns for the year, all Alabama single-season records.

The previous records were 78 (Julio Jones, 2010), 1,133 (Jones), and 11 (Cooper 2012).

Cooper had 228 receptions for 3,463 yards and 31 touchdowns for his career, making him the most prolific receiver in UA history. The old records were 194 catches (DJ Hall, 2004-07), 2,923 yards (DJ Hall), and 18 (Dennis Homan, 1965-67).

Coop also finished 1st for the all-time SEC receptions record, and 2nd for career yards and single season yards.

SEC Records:

Career yards
3,759 Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (262 catches), 2010-13
3,463 Amari Cooper, Alabama (219), 2012-14

Season receptions
124 Amari Cooper, Alabama (1,727 yards), 2012-14
112 Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (1,477), 2010-13

Season receiving yards
1,740 Josh Reed, LSU (94 catches), 2001
1,727 Amari Cooper, Alabama (124), 2014

Blake Sims - Blake Sims set Alabama's all-time single season passing yards record with 3,487, breaking AJ McCarron's previous record of 3,063. Blake's 28 TD passes are 2nd only to AJ's record of 30 in 2012.

His 445 yard, 4 TD game against Florida is the highest by a Bama QB in Bryant-Denny stadium, and 2nd all-time to Scott Hunter's 484 yard in 1969.

Blake's performance against Florida for 484 in total offense yards (passing and rushing) is the highest single game total, breaking Scott Hunter's 457 performance in 1969. His yearly total of 3,837 yards is the most season total offense record.

His 85.1% completion percentage in the 2014 SECCG is the highest percentage ever in game, breaking Jason Campbell's previous record 77.1% mark set in 2004.

Derrick Henry - Derrick's season is obviously is not over yet, but even so, as of now, he holds the all-time single season rushing record of 1,797 yards (and counting) breaking Trent's previous record 1,687. He is less than 100 yards from breaking Herschel Walker's all time SEC record of 1891 yards, set in 1981.

Derrick broke the Trent's school record of 21 TD's, and now stands at 22 TD's and counting.

His 271 yards last night is an Iron Bowl record, breaking Bo Jackson's previous record of 256 yards.

His four 200+ games put him in a 3 way tie with Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker for most all time.

He currently stands at 3,169 yards, which is 6th all time in school history, despite this being his first year as a starting RB. He needs 396 yards to break Shaun Alexander's school record.

Say what you want about Kiffin, but his offenses have produced some crazy numbers and a whole lot of wins. He seems to be the "go to guy" to hate on as soon as something doesn't work offensively, but doesn't seem to get much credit when they do.

This most likely is his last year here, but no matter how you feel about him, its hard to say he hasn't been good for our offense. I just hope the next guy is a good one, because he's got some big (and expensive :)) shoes to fill!
Wow, just think what would have happened to Henry, if Kiffin would ever call a running play ;)

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I really appreciate this post! I'm now a huge CLK fan after he joined the Crimson Tide altho I always understood he was an offensive genuis! I think he has done wonders for our offense and QB's development and ive never felt so secure in the fact we will score points! No one spreads the ball like CLK and he doesn't even resort to trickery every series like some. Dude is stud, plain and simple! I've been trying to figure out basically all season how so many Bama fans can just be down right tacky towards him and still after all the good he has done want him gone. I think I finally figured it out yesterday! His son is named Knox! That is just so telling to me. His offense, wins, attitude, players love him, player records, Saban loves him, and so on doesn't matter, Knoxville does! That's all I can come up with because as this post points out, it's not football related, it's something else! I want him to stay, but I also want him to go somewhere where he can be appreciated! I dont think many Bama fans deserve him! Great job coach Lane Kiffin! Oh ya, one more lil point, Derrick Henry has something like 4 (FOUR) 200 yard rushing games and about to win the Heismen this year while developing a QB we can finally trust in time for the playoffs, CLK has done fine by Derrick Henry! Roll Tide!!!

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This makes sense with Lane - I've always thought his offense is designed to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers. That's why you saw so many targets for Amari last year, and also why you see an almost exact opposite of that this year with Henry getting 30+ carries in some games.

The whole thing can fall apart though, if you are struggling to get it in to the hands of your best players, or if the defense is cheating to take them away. That's when I think we see Lane try to get cute - but IMO it's always so he can work his way back to his studs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.