With Richt out at georgia, is cks gone?

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Re: With richt out at georgia, is cks gone?

Understand what you are saying; makes a lot of sense. But if GA offers, Smart is gone
^^^This. There's just no way for him to turn down this kind of opportunity if it's offered to him. Ideally, he could get some practice at being a head coach at a place like Colorado State (like McElwain), rather than thrown into the fire at a place like Georgia. But if you turn it down, you're telling the world that you don't think you're ready for the job, and that's pure death in a profession where projection of confidence is absolutely required.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

^^^This. There's just no way for him to turn down this kind of opportunity if it's offered to him. Ideally, he could get some practice at being a head coach at a place like Colorado State (like McElwain), rather than thrown into the fire at a place like Georgia. But if you turn it down, you're telling the world that you don't think you're ready for the job, and that's pure death in a profession where projection of confidence is absolutely required.
I think its moreso where is he a better fit as a HC at ... he has the skillsets to be a HC no doubt, but in the current state UGA is in, would that be a good fit for both parties?

UGA, like LSU and SCar needs to improve on offense. Florida was able to do that in part this year because of them hiring an offensive-minded coach as HC. Will CKS right now be able to bring in an OC that will be able to improve UGAs offense? That's 50/50 situation. Thats why I'm thinking a place like Rutgers would be more of a fit for him. Again, if they offer and he takes it ... I wouldn't blame him one bit. I'm just looking at the overall picture.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al

On Finebaum Show He stated that it appears the Kirby will be going to Georgia, take it for what its worth.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Let Kirby go live his dream if that is what he is offered.....and that is what he decides.

Mel Tucker will be ok as DC with Coach Saban's defense---if that is what happens. The problem is, how many of those recruits will follow Kirby? And how many other coaches will have to be replaced?

Next year on the field is going to be a lot of new faces, now it seems there is going to be a lot of new faces coaching them.....

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I'm still just perplexed by this situation. I'm all for Smart moving up and thinks he's more than deserving of a HC position ... I still just don't see how him possibly being hired would benefit UGA. Even if they are able to tighten up their D under CKS ... if the O still struggles, they will still be in the same position, which also means they will be even further behind. jmo
For the AD McGarity, CKS would be a very low risk hire. UGA grad, years of experience under CNS, an excellent recruiter and would be a very popular choice among fans and the local Georgia media. Few among the fan base would question the hire.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

Kirby would be a fool not to go if offered, and congratulations if he goes. And the sun will come up the next day and we're going to keep on playin at bama.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

Let Kirby go live his dream if that is what he is offered.....and that is what he decides.

Mel Tucker will be ok as DC with Coach Saban's defense---if that is what happens. The problem is, how many of those recruits will follow Kirby? And how many other coaches will have to be replaced?

Next year on the field is going to be a lot of new faces, now it seems there is going to be a lot of new faces coaching them.....
I agree but as far as recruiting goes Uga has a nice class lined up this year as well,and like us they only have room for a few more.Not saying we will not lose one or two but I do not think it will effect things much. Being in the National Title picture once again certainly will not hurt either.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

For the AD McGarity, CKS would be a very low risk hire. UGA grad, years of experience under CNS, an excellent recruiter and would be a very popular choice among fans and the local Georgia media. Few among the fan base would question the hire.
True and valid points. I just keep looking at it from the state of the program at UGA. In my opinion its contradictory for them to say they're parting with CMR because they feel as though the can do better as a program to go hire a HC that has no HC experience and doesn't fully address the needs of the program. Again, if CKS is offered and he accepts, great for him. But I agree that choosing him would be considered by UGA a low risk hire.

BUT if I'm UGA ... and we're saying our program is a better program than how its been performing, I'm going for the HC that can get us over the hump and I'm taking the money truck and selling out to Mullen/Herman. Just not seeing how as it currently stands that CKS will transform UGA to an elite status within 4-5 years. They would have to give CKS the same amount of time that they gave CMR to let everything pan out. Which means they will continue the trend of 9-10 win seasons. Which goes back the question the reason of why get rid of CMR. Its all just interesting. Either way it goes, I wish CKS much success if he stays with us or receives a HC position this year.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
What happens to Kirby Smart when Georgia loses 3 games next year?
We seem to get ridiculed for our expectations as fans but UGA has taken it to another level. There's a strong possibility Smart could end up being a great hire but UGA better give 3 years to find his groove. Shula went 24-23 and some thought we were crazy for firing him. Richt averaged- what?- 9 wins a year? You set a bad precedence firing a guy who may finish the year ranked and with 10 wins. UGA would have been a lot better off if they had shown Richt the door following the loss to UCF in whatever bowl game that was...finished 6-7. At least then it can be justified. I get the frustration stemming from not winning the East the past 3 yrs but UGA was the last team to win that division and actually COMPETE against the West in the SECCG. The bar is set higher? Good luck with that- not unrealistic at all

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
We seem to get ridiculed for our expectations as fans but UGA has taken it to another level. There's a strong possibility Smart could end up being a great hire but UGA better give 3 years to find his groove. Shula went 24-23 and some thought we were crazy for firing him. Richt averaged- what?- 9 wins a year?. You set a bad precedence firing a guy who may finish the year ranked and with 10 wins. UGA would have been a lot better off if they had shown Richt the door following the loss to UCF in whatever bowl game that was...finished 6-7. At least then it can be justified. I get the frustration stemming from not winning the East the past 3 yrs but UGA was the last team to win that division and actually COMPETE against the West in the SECCG. The bar is set higher? Good luck with that- not unrealistic at all
Two entirely different circumstances, imo.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I would hate to lose Kirby (in which case, Cochran, at least, probably goes with him). But, to be the head coach in the SEC at a big program, his alma mater, in talent-rich area (not to mention earn a much bigger paycheck)... I think UGA is prepared to give him everything he needs. They wouldn't kick Richt to the curb if they were not ready to make a commitment to winning big.

I'm not sure that he is their number one target, but I think he's very high on the list. If hired, I think he gets a bit of slack from the admin and the fan base for a couple of years. 8-9 nine wins will be ok. A big part of his success will depend on his assistant coach hires, of course. Recruiting should not be a problem for him and they would get plenty of fine players.

The big question is, is Smart ready for such a job? There's only one way to truly know, but he's been understudy to the best in the business for years. I think he would have an excellent chance for success at UGA.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Spending the last 13-15 years working for CNS and gaining invaluable OJT is no guarantee for success at UGA or even a program like ULM. It is a huge jump from where he is to head coaching on the big stage. I like and appreciate Kirby's commitment to our program whether he leaves or stays.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I would hate to lose Kirby (in which case, Cochran, at least, probably goes with him).
A couple of things regarding Cochran. He needs one more year to be vested in the Alabama retirement system so I think we have him for at least that. Secondly, Bama just spent a boat load on a new strength and conditioning facility which may be one of the best in the country. Georgia's pales in comparison to Bama's so I think that may also be a consideration for Scott.

Last edited:

paul02085

All-SEC
Sep 12, 2004
Loganville, Ga.
Spending the last 13-15 years working for CNS and gaining invaluable OJT is no guarantee for success at UGA or even a program like ULM. It is a huge jump from where he is to head coaching on the big stage. I like and appreciate Kirby's commitment to our program whether he leaves or stays.
I have a strong feeling Kirby is going to UGA (like early next week) and really cannot blame him. I was hoping he would take a mid major HC job and get his feet wet then come back here one day (hopefully in 10 plus years :)). However, UGA is his ultimate job other than Bama so we will probably find out quicker if he is going to be a great HC. IMO UGA is taking a pretty big chance but they are desperate to win SOMETHING so they are gonna roll the dice.

I thought they may go for Mullen since he has done really well with what he has to work with in Starkville but i think the CKS connection with Coach Saban will win out. Coach Saban has absolutely revolutionized SEC coaching.

Whatever happens i appreciate what CKS has meant to Alabama and if he leaves i hope that he has great success in the future.

Coach Saban is so dominant he is basically filling SEC HC positions himself LOL. Coach SABAN, we love you!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.