With Richt out at georgia, is cks gone?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
With Mark Richt being out at Georgia, does this mean that Kirby Smart will go back to his alma mata or will Georgia want someone with head coaching experience? They hired Richt when he was OC at FSU, so why not Kirby?

Mods, if you feel this question is ill-timed, please delete.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Re: With richt out at georgia, is cks gone?

Anything's possible, but I think Georgia should ask Florida how hiring a coordinator with no previous head coaching experience worked out?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I think it is a long shot that Coach Smart gets the job. I did not feel that way 3 years ago, and I probably won't 2 years in the future. We are in a offensive minded period, but its about to swing back to the defense. Just bad timing. And this is from the gut.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I think it is a long shot that Coach Smart gets the job. I did not feel that way 3 years ago, and I probably won't 2 years in the future. We are in a offensive minded period, but its about to swing back to the defense. Just bad timing. And this is from the gut.
I agree with this. Also going home ain't the same as it once was.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

My guess is that firing Richt means they are looking for a homerun hire. I believe Smart will make a good HC, but anytime you hire an assistant with no HC experience it is a gamble, and you typically do not fire the likes of Mark Richt to take that kind of gamble. Smart may be their backup plan, but it would surprise me if they made this type of move to hire a coordinator with no HC experience.

USC is in a much better position to take the gamble on Smart, and that's who I wish they'd pursue (assuming he has any interest). Problem for USC is that Smart is definitely in the discussion at UGA, so he may not be willing to commit to something else until the UGA situation is settled.

I don't believe Muschamp failing at UF is any indicator of how Smart will do as a HC. They are different guys in different situations. Muschamp turned the OC position and the offense as a whole at UF into a mess that is still not cleaned up. One would think Smart would learn from this and spend some money and hire a top notch OC (Again, assuming he even wants to leave the comforts of his current gig).

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

I wonder if Saban's comment about the firing of Richt quoted in another thread - what has our profession become - a message to Smart about taking the GA job.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I wonder if Saban's comment about the firing of Richt quoted in another thread - what has our profession become - a message to Smart about taking the GA job.
i completely understand saban on this, but the irony is that the profession has become like this in part due to saban's success at bama.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

i completely understand saban on this, but the irony is that the profession has become like this in part due to saban's success at bama.
Yep, he and Meyer. Everyone wants the next Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, but those type coaches only come around once every 10 to 20 years or so. Therre simply aren't dozens of Saban-type coaches out there.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

I just don't think any coordinator is really ready for the unrealistic expectations at Georgia. Quite honestly, there are probably only a handful of head coaches that are ready for that. My opinion is that the Bulldog nation is about to reap the whirlwind on this one.

All of the tools and resources are in place at Georgia to be extremely competitive; and, yeah, they probably should have made at least one NC game in the past ten years. However, something tells me that they are going to struggle with this next hire to find the stability of overall success that Richt brought them.

And, hopefully, Kirby Smart is not the guy to have to go through that.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I think Coach Mac drew up the blueprint that CKS should follow. Go get your initial HC chops at a school like Colorado State, hone the skills that you`ve learned from a CNS, then hit the big time. It`s just unfortunate that Georgia has come open now (assuming that it`s his dream job, of course).

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I gave up a while ago trying to figure out when Kirby would leave and where he would go. I did think, prior to Sunday, that given the number of openings this would be the year he left. Lots of choices and he'd be wanted for many of those positions. The UGA opening just increases the odds that this will be the year he goes. While my preference for coaches is the McElwain route (smaller gig first to learn how to be a HC), it would be awful hard for Kirby not to listen if mama called.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

I think Coach Mac drew up the blueprint that CKS should follow. Go get your initial HC chops at a school like Colorado State, hone the skills that you`ve learned from a CNS, then hit the big time. It`s just unfortunate that Georgia has come open now (assuming that it`s his dream job, of course).
You know what...it might not be Smart's dream job at this point. If he likes to coach defense, he has the best job in America. And he's making great money to boot. He and his family may like it in Tuscaloosa, and Smart could possibly understand the benefits of staying in one place. Perhaps not, but I can tell you from experience, going home isn't always what it's cracked up to be...especially if you've already got it made in a great job with great people. Take it from somebody with experience.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Understand what you are saying; makes a lot of sense. But if GA offers, Smart is gone
You know what...it might not be Smart's dream job at this point. If he likes to coach defense, he has the best job in America. And he's making great money to boot. He and his family may like it in Tuscaloosa, and Smart could possibly understand the benefits of staying in one place. Perhaps not, but I can tell you from experience, going home isn't always what it's cracked up to be...especially if you've already got it made in a great job with great people. Take it from somebody with experience.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA

I would love it if it turned out he's very happy as a DC, and doesn't want the stress of being a HC. Its doubtful, but I can wish.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Saban's success has made it tough for the competition to keep a job, that's for certain. But I would suggest the elevation of coaching salaries has also done a lot towards influencing this "what have you won for the school lately?" type reasoning.

People have suggested Cochrane owes his loyalty to Smart rather than Saban or the University. I wish there was some way of correcting this, if that is the case.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Saban's success has made it tough for the competition to keep a job, that's for certain. But I would suggest the elevation of coaching salaries has also done a lot towards influencing this "what have you won for the school lately?" type reasoning.

People have suggested Cochrane owes his loyalty to Smart rather than Saban or the University. I wish there was some way of correcting this, if that is the case.
agreed. coaching salaries have gotten ridiculous

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.