OL play - when is it going to bite us...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
OL play has improved tremendously...no line blocks them all (unless it is 2012). We are susceptible to speed -- who isn't? I have noticed that play action passes which get JC on the move work much, much better.

We are an excellent run blocking line...were not at the first of the year.

My 2 cents worth....:)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This team is a lot like the 2009 offense in my opinion. We're very good at run blocking, maybe even elite in that regard. Pass blocking was a work in process with that 2009 team all season but they found some ways to create consistency in the passing game despite really running an OL with 4 guards and an center.

This unit is a tad different because I think CamRob projects as an NFL tackle and the protection has improved on the left side as he's seemingly gotten healthier. The right side is probably not going to see a huge improvement, we've just gotta call things that mitigate the problem as much as possible. I've noticed that we've done more chipping with the TE/H-Back before they release into their routes lately. That probably has put a damper on what was looking to be a pretty involved season for Howard through the midseason. Fortunately, Stewart has really emerged as a second option to Ridley which has helped triage that loss in production.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Of the likely playoff teams I actually think Michigan State has the best front 7... But I would agree that any SEC West team is battle tested against the best d-lines in football and will be fine in the playoff.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
Ole Miss was more lucky than good - but Kelly played very well in that game.
The stats may look good, but if you go back and rewatch that game you'll see that he was bailed out on MANY occasions where he made poor decisions and some of those could have just as easily been ints or even pick 6's.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Personally, facing OU's defense doesn't sit well with me. However, I'm also hopeful that Alabama has learned how to face that kind of a defense, and CNS has a better defense to counter with OU's offense than the last time. We'll see what happens. I expect OU to be in the CFB unless Clemson loses, and/or Stanford absolutely blows out USC.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Statistically, you're actually correct:

OU--31st in total D, 46th in rushing D, 35th in redzone D.

DH should have a field day against them, just like he did in the sugar bowl. MY concern is stopping their O and how our back 7 handle Mayfield and their receivers.
Here's the solution to your concern...run DH 30-40 times in order to sustain long drives and keep OU's offense off the field. [emoji4] Ridley and Stewart are dangerous enough to keep their DB's honest.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Good question. We have been good in the running game but pass blocking has been average at best. We also are giving up too much penetration on both run and pass plays. There could be a lot of factors from injuries (Robinson and Jackson) to lack of fundamentals. Another poster pointed to self-inflicted errors which also needs to be cleaned up. Either way, we need to work on this, and I am sure Cristobal and company will get it fixed. The time off (for injuries) and extra practice (correcting mistakes) will benefit us greatly from the end of the championship game to the playoffs. All of the issues are fixable.
I don`t see how, objectively, anyone can think we`re not a very good to excellent run blocking team with DH carrying the yardage that he does. If we weren`t, he`d be nowhere near his rushing totals. The fact that the ground game in general and O line play in particular is the weapon it is would be evidenced by most teams loading the box, leading to an inevitable negative play in the run game from time to time. In the pass game, wouldn`t at all be surprised to see more moving pockets for Jake. He seems to throw well on the move and it`s more like run blocking to boot.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was really upset by some play calls Saturday on several 3rd and long plays. We ran the ball two maybe three times in 3rd and 7 or longer. I really felt it wasn't a shot a Coker but at the lack of confidence in the O-line. I know Coker isn't great but with time he's plenty good enough for us to win even a shoot out. It is troublesome when thinking about playing OK and Clemaon in the playoffs. I'm astounded at the underachieving with this line. I too was expecting it to be a strength while Coker eased into the position. I cringe when he drops back because I feel like he's gonna be running for his life immediately. This was a real problem last year too but Blake's mobility covered a lot of it.
You hit the nail on the head about Blake's mobility. Some said our pass blocking was good last year, but a lot of that was because BS would move around in the pocket or make teams pay if they brought extra guys. Our line has struggled at times three years in a row now. I also hope we get those issues solved before they bite us.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
That's because they don't have the secondary to protect the backside of all out blitzes. That goes for all of the other remaining teams as well. Clemson is the worst of the bunch. Their middle is like wet toilet paper. It will certainly be risk reward in they adopt that strategy. That might see a lot of the back of #2 as his image gets smaller and smaller as he 4.4s his way to the end zone.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Striker is a LB who plays with a hand in the dirt. He could give you problems with his speed, but he isn't going to overpower anyone. aTm had two better speed rushers on the same team and you beat them by simply running right at them. You do the same thing to Striker - run at him and take away his aggressiveness.
yup. Ask all world Mantei Teo how Bama solves that Riddle. I bet he thinks that beatdown was make believe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don`t see how, objectively, anyone can think we`re not a very good to excellent run blocking team with DH carrying the yardage that he does. If we weren`t, he`d be nowhere near his rushing totals. The fact that the ground game in general and O line play in particular is the weapon it is would be evidenced by most teams loading the box, leading to an inevitable negative play in the run game from time to time. In the pass game, wouldn`t at all be surprised to see more moving pockets for Jake. He seems to throw well on the move and it`s more like run blocking to boot.
That's on me. I should have made it clear that my concern is pass-blocking. Even the article cited above concerns run blocking. Coker has been sacked 16 times this season. In some cases, like the TD Saturday, he's avoided them on his own or thrown it away. I don't like those numbers...

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Run blocking has not been consistently strong. Our script all year has been mostly runs of 2 to 3 yards, with a fair share of runs for loss, and the occasional big pop that generates most of the production. The low point Saturday was in the second quarter when we had second-and-goal literally about 2 inches from the goal, and Henry ran to the right -- smack into a pile that was 3 yards deep in the backfield. The play lost 9 yards, and we settled for a FG. No way that should happen, ever.

rollweezytide

Nov 13, 2015
What happened to the quarterback sneak in this situation? There is no way 6'5 240 pound quarterback cannot push through the line. It seems teams have gotten away from this in football but it is nearly an automatic first down. Coker's sneak worked perfectly another point in the game as it went for about 3 yards (although we had to redo the play since Auburn did not have a chance to sub on defense). Even against a goal line defense, I think he makes it.

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
Looks to me that we run better when we zone block up front. We don't look like we have a set of personnel who can deliver the consistent initial push at the snap. Jackson, with his all short comings, has a strong technique and is one heck of a zone blocker.

When we had 2nd and goal at the half yard line, we should have been lined up in our power formation and run straight to the left side behind Cam rather than on the right side where Jackson got pushed straight back 2 yards by Lawson.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.