OL play - when is it going to bite us...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I've been very surprised at the number of negative plays allowed this year. I don't know if it's physical or or mental ( missed assignments ), but we've had a ton of negative offensive plays this year. Pass protection has been an issue in many games, particularly on the right, as Earle noted. I'm still scarred by the Sugar Bowl loss to the Sooners, with Stryker running wild against Cyrus. He undressed Big Cy that night, and I would not want to see him tee off on Jackson. Nuss failed us in that Sugar Bowl by moving away from the run game with Henry battering them for 10 yards a pop. There have been times when Kiff failed us in the same sort of way. OU's def line has looked really good to me this month. They are likely a matchup problem for us if we face them.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Statistically, you're actually correct:

OU--31st in total D, 46th in rushing D, 35th in redzone D.

DH should have a field day against them, just like he did in the sugar bowl. MY concern is stopping their O and how our back 7 handle Mayfield and their receivers.
We should be careful with cumulative stats from teams in the Big 12 - a lot more teams there go at a hyper pace (and so does Oklahoma) More opportunities on the field means you're going to give up more total yards. For example: Oklahoma is 46th in total rushing, but has seen 494 rushing plays. Stanford is 44th, but has only seen 383 rushes against. OU's per play average is 3.62 and Stanford's is 4.54 - which is the better rushing defense?

Football Outsiders uses a "successful play rate". Oklahoma looks much better on defense by these metrics. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef One is not a be all end all, and they certainly have not seen anyone like Derrick Henry, but cumulative stats are often misleading in college football, IMO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
OU is very effective defensively within the construct of their conference's style...but I think aggressive DBs and speed on the edge can play nicely if they can get up a few scores early on any kind of team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.