OL play - when is it going to bite us...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At the beginning of the season, I felt that OL play was going to be one of our strongest point. It turns out that is not the case when it comes to pass-blocking. After Saturday, I think we can look forward from the CG through the playoffs (assuming we get there) to a steady diet of DCs overloading our right side. I've just been astounded that we can't protect on that side. The left side is improving and I'm assuming that's because Cam's getting healthier and looking more like the old Cam. The odd thing is that we run very strongly off the right.

I posted this because it's a topic I've wanted to see discussion upon and also, because criticism of the OL kept creeping into the discussion of Coker's TD pass below. They are really two different topics...

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I was really upset by some play calls Saturday on several 3rd and long plays. We ran the ball two maybe three times in 3rd and 7 or longer. I really felt it wasn't a shot a Coker but at the lack of confidence in the O-line. I know Coker isn't great but with time he's plenty good enough for us to win even a shoot out. It is troublesome when thinking about playing OK and Clemaon in the playoffs. I'm astounded at the underachieving with this line. I too was expecting it to be a strength while Coker eased into the position. I cringe when he drops back because I feel like he's gonna be running for his life immediately. This was a real problem last year too but Blake's mobility covered a lot of it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The good news (assuming you beat Florida and Ohio State doesn't make the playoff) your o-line will not face the types of defensive linemen in the playoff that you have faced in SEC play. None of the teams has more than one of the type of player that has caused your o-line problems this season (speed and power off the edge).

If you can make it through the SEC, you can handle the defensive fronts that you will face in the playoff.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
At the beginning of the season, I felt that OL play was going to be one of our strongest point. It turns out that is not the case when it comes to pass-blocking. After Saturday, I think we can look forward from the CG through the playoffs (assuming we get there) to a steady diet of DCs overloading our right side. I've just been astounded that we can't protect on that side. The left side is improving and I'm assuming that's because Cam's getting healthier and looking more like the old Cam. The odd thing is that we run very strongly off the right.

I posted this because it's a topic I've wanted to see discussion upon and also, because criticism of the OL kept creeping into the discussion of Coker's TD pass below. They are really two different topics...
One thing that we have not done much at all on offense this year to combat this is a screen to Howard, Hentges or Henry. I hope this is an arrow in Kiffin's quiver that he is saving for later.

I'm a bit surprised, too, that we haven't done more designed QB roll-outs like we used to do with McCarron- especially with Jake's skill at throwing accurately on the run.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hard to say. It's extremely erratic on that side. I wonder if Jackson's ankle was bothering him.
They definitely focused on attacking Jackson on obvious passing downs. They went after the player that they considered your weakest link in that game. Coker was never sacked, though he could have been twice.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm afraid it will be what keeps us from winning the NC, if anything does.

I don't think Florida has enough on offense to topple us, even if their defense can give us fits.

But Oklahoma certainly does. I think our defense could suffocate Iowa/Michigan State and probably control Clemson enough. But it's what gives me a great deal of pause before saying we're the favorites to win it all.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
They definitely focused on attacking Jackson on obvious passing downs. They went after the player that they considered your weakest link in that game.
Jackson might get a late-season mulligan, given that Carl Lawson opposite him for All-bran is, when healthy, possibly the second- or third-best pure pass rusher in college football.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm afraid it will be what keeps us from winning the NC, if anything does.

I don't think Florida has enough on offense to topple us, even if their defense can give us fits.

But Oklahoma certainly does. I think our defense could suffocate Iowa/Michigan State and probably control Clemson enough. But it's what gives me a great deal of pause before saying we're the favorites to win it all.
This.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
My hope is Saban's method of going back and teaching the basics during bowl prep and the month to heal will help out. Otherwise it just is what it is.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
As great as Henry has been I'm convinced that we will need to have a legitimate passing attack to win the NC. It's one thing to wear out a less-than-average AU defense with DH but it will be another when we play better teams in the playoffs.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
We should pull a guard and explore more roll out passes. It gives OL more of a run type blocking scheme, and puts a lot of pressure on the defense. Ole Miss was very successful with this type passing game when Archie was there, as was the KC Chiefs when Fran was there. Also, Jake seems to be more accurate on roll outs, and certainly has the arm to throw back across the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.