Week Fourteen Game Week Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban's weekly Monday presser:

Saban: Iron Bowl wasn’t necessarily our best consistency and execution, but the players competed well, came out with a win.
Saban on SEC championship: "This is something that we still feel is very important and we feel is a significant accomplishment."
Saban: Florida is probably the best overall team we've played against all year long.
Saban: Jim McElwain has done an outstanding job at Florida, best overall team, best defense we’ve played all year long.
Saban: Treon Harris reminds me of Blake Sims in terms of his style of play.
Saban: Anybody who doesn't think this is going to be a great challenge for us...I don't know what you're thinking.
Saban: Florida has an athletic front, good linebackers and a one of the best cornerbacks in the country.
Saban on Derrick Henry: "When he first came here, talked about how his only experience as a RB was carrying the ball. He had a lot to learn"
Saban on Damien Harris/Bo Scarbrough: "We need those guys to sort of mature, be what we need them to be."
Saban: It was not our intention to have Derrick Henry carry the ball 46 times and 14 times in a row in the fourth quarter.
Saban: This is Kirby’s defense. He’s the DC. I try to be a good graduate assistant to help him out.
Saban on hiring Kirby Smart at LSU: "I was looking for a good, young, bright, smart, aggressive secondary coach we could develop."
Saban said the entire offense & staff deserves credit for the big season Derrick Henry has had. Said Henry would be the 1st to tell you that
Saban: I'm old school and I care what college football is and what it should be about. We're supposed to help and develop young people.
Saban asked about coaching climate, Miles/Richt: "I'd be more concerned about from my perspective when we lose 3 games, what happens to me?"
Saban said people should respect Florida, who has a good team and beat "Ole Miss bad, the team that beat us."

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tuesday practice report

Al.com

BOL

Senior outside linebacker Denzel Devall (knee) was at practice and participating in individual drills after missing yesterday's practice. He did not appear to be limited by a sprained knee injury, although his left knee housed a small brace

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Just reading the tea leaves, CNS all but acknowledges that Kirby is gone, and it seems that he a plan in place for "bringing in the next best good coach" as a replacement. He said he talked to the players and the players "get it". He also talks about having "220 pages of formations for Florida", so maybe this ol' CNS guy can manage to help the defense make a stop or 2 even if Kirby leaves after the SECCG. ;)

His answer at the end about what his dream coaching job was early in his career should make some of the people nervous that he might go back to the NFL feel better.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban-McElwain press conference:

McElwain: "Our guys have been through a ton this season, and I can't tell you how proud I am of them.
McElwain: "Not really excited about playing these creatures, but that's the way it goes."
McElwain on the hardest thing about facing #Alabama: "Probably knowing how they go about their business."
Mac on UA defense: "How're you gonna trick them? ... The one thing, when you watch them play on that side of the ball, is they're complete."
McElwain on Florida's offense struggling: "That's an understatement."
McElwain on Kirby Smart: "First and foremost, I'm surprised it's taken this long. He's going to be a great head coach."
McElwain: "Brandon Powell was in a boot all day yesterday."
McElwain on A. Morrison: "I would be surprised if he didn't give it a go."
McElwain on OL David Sharpe: "Questionable. I don't think he looked very good yesterday."
McElwain on Derrick Henry: "The amount of yards after someone tries to tackle him. I say tried because they're not often successful."
McElwain on Demarcus Robinson: "He made a choice, and we'll see how he does. He'll get a few snaps out there."
McElwain on A. Callaway: "He's gonna be a guy who you're going to hear about in this conference."
McElwain: "A Nick Saban problem? What's wrong with him?"
McElwain said he's noticed, even more than when he was at UA, the amount of depth along #Alabama's defensive line.
McElwain asked if he'll run QB Treon Harris more: "He may be running anyway, naturally, for his life."

Saban: "I'm very proud of the way they've responded, and it's been a really fun team to coach."
Saban on McElwain: "You always hate to see them go to the next spot, but always happy to see them fulfill professional goals."
Saban: "Jim is a very serious, attention to detail sort of guy with a tremendous sense of humor."
Saban: "Travon Harris is a very talented young man who has the ability to makes plays with his feet or arm." [RTR91's note: It's Treon Harris, Coach.]
Saban: "Somewhere along the line, we have to make some big plays."
Saban: "Our front has to do a really good job of controlling the line of scrimmage and the QB in the pocket."
Saban on Florida's O: "They have made lots of plays and played well when they needed to, at times."
Saban: "We haven't beat a team that's one 10 games all year. We feel like this is the best team we've faced this year."
Saban on Smart: "Because he's bright, he not only understood the system but learned how to implement it."
Saban: "He's as good of an assistant coach and as loyal of an assistant coach as I've had on staff."
Saban: "I'm always happy to see somebody on our staff get the opportunity that they've been working hard for."
Saban on Florida's turnaround: "It's a fine line between 6-6 and 10-2."
Nick Saban: "We're kind of bigamist as coaches." Said you're married, but the team is also another family for you.
Saban: I like the way our team has prepared for this game. I like the maturity they've shown. They respect the team we're playing.
Saban: "Our team did everything they could do in how they responded. We lost control of our destiny, and somebody helped us."

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Lane Kiffin must be bored during the open viewing session of practice...

@Charlie_Potter #Alabama worked on trick plays in its OPEN walk through, including a throwback pass from Henry to Coker and a jump pass out of the wildcat.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Lane Kiffin must be bored during the open viewing session of practice...

@Charlie_Potter #Alabama worked on trick plays in its OPEN walk through, including a throwback pass from Henry to Coker and a jump pass out of the wildcat.
Hope it wasn't supposed to be kept under wraps. Several media members have posted the videos of practicing said plays..

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hope it wasn't supposed to be kept under wraps. Several media members have posted the videos of practicing said plays..
Just watched the video on al.com. Henry is laughing and smiling pretty much the entire time. Didn't seem to be legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.