GA News: OnlineAthens - Mark Richt will consider other coaching jobs

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
November 30th, 2015 01:11 PM

Mark Richt, who turns 56 in February, isn’t making plans to go to the coaching retirement community just yet.
A day after being fired after 15 seasons as Georgia’s football coach, Richt says he will consider other coaching opportunities.
“Oh, yeah,” Richt said at a Monday morning press conference on campus. “No doubt. I’ll say this: If and when I do coach again, I’m looking forward to coaching again in terms of being more hands on. I miss coaching quarterbacks, I miss calling plays, I miss that part of it. Whether it’s in the role of head coach, coordinator, quarterbacks coach, whatever it is, if in fact I choose to do that, I’d be really excited about coaching QBs again and getting in the middle of the offensive strategy.”
There are head coaching openings now at Missouri, Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, UCF and Miami, Richt’s alma mater.
Richt looked more at ease and even better rested Monday even though he just lost his job after weeks of speculation on if he would be let go.
“Over time it could wear you down a little bit,” Richt said. “The weight of a lot of responsibility that I’ve had a long time is gone. It’s not totally gone. I have a responsibility between now and the bowl, but there’s certain things I’m not responsible for.”
Recruiting in particular. His calendar was filled for 14 straight days of trying to land and secure prospects, but he won’t be on the road talking to prospects now. Now he’ll have time to think more to “decompress” and consider his next step.
“I’m going to listen to anybody that has interest in me coaching or not,” he said. “Really in any area or any arena, that’s a possibility.”
Athletic director Greg McGarity and Richt met on Sunday morning and here they were some 24 hours later sitting at a table side by side. McGarity saw Georgia lose three of four in October including lopsided defeats to Alabama and Florida but insisted he didn’t know it was time for a change until his drive back to Athens from Saturday’s win at Georgia Tech.
“It was a very quiet ride home for me to dig down deep and make sure that’s what my gut told me to do,” McGarity said.
He added: “I wanted to wait until the season was over. You always prepare. I think that’s the role of an athletic director whether it be football, basketball or another sport. You never know when the coach is going to come in and say they’re done.”
McGarity did not lay out at the press conference why Georgia decided to fire a coach that had won nearly 74 percent of games at the school, the highest winning percentage in program history.
“That remains to be between Mark and myself,” he said. “We had a good, mature adult conversation on Sunday morning for an hour or hour and a half or so. Those things will really remain between Mark and myself.”
Richt explained it this way: “I think 15 years is a long time. I think the expectations have been built to the point if you don’t win a championship, it’s kind of miserable around here. When we don’t make it to Atlanta, I’m miserable, too. …It got to the point where there wasn’t enough confidence that my leadership could get it done. That’s the prerogative of the people in charge and I understand them.”
Georgia went 145-51 under Richt, but had not played in the SEC championship game in Atlanta since 2012 and had not won it since 2005.
"You become a victim of your own success," said former Georgia football coach and athletic director Vince Dooley. "The patience is thinner than ever. Of course, the pay is a lot greater than ever, too and that's part of the stress and the expecations. That's the nature of the game today."
Richt thanked Dooley and president Michael Adams, who hired him in December, 2000 and McGarity and president Jere Morehead “for letting me stick around a while.”
Dooley sat on a seat to the side during the 32 minute news conference. Richt’s agent, Mark Carmony, was also in attendance.
McGarity said he expected the backlash that has come by those who support Richt.
“Our fans are passionate,” he said. “Mark has tremendous support. Obviously with the way Mark connects with people, sure. I’ve been the recipient of emails on both sides. So it goes with the territory.”
Georgia had said that Richt could remain at the school in another role including for outreach programs for football lettermen, but Richt said he has not agreed to that.
“My plan right now, quite frankly, is to get prepared for this bowl game,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to coaching these boys one more time. …I think there are going to be a lot of options to weigh. I’m just not ready to say what I want to do yet, but it’s very attractive to have the thought of being able to stay in Athens in some way, shape or form.”
Asked about how he wants to be remembered for his 15-year run.
“That he loved Georgia and he did it the right way,” Richt said. “He did it hopefully in a way that it was well-pleasing to The Lord.”
As for the portion of the fan base who is upset with the decision, Richt said: “I guess you could tell everybody that I’m going to be fine. My wife and I will be fine. We’re empty nesters. We’re still madly in love. We’ll probably get to do some things that we just haven’t been able to do in the past. I’ve been coaching for 33 years straight and that’s a long grind. It can wear a man out a little bit, especially sitting in the head coach’s chair, but we’re very excited about our future.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.