How does Henry translate to the NFL?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
On the TD play against the Barn, one of our lineman was shoved 4 yards deep into the backfield, screwing up Henry's running lane. However, he was able to dodge that and had a crease that he cut through to pay dirt. I saw the replay from behind, and you can see this developing. That took some good footwork and vision by Henry to pull off.

I think he's got the tools, and certainly the God-given ability, to do very well.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
No idea. He has the power and the speed, but he still struggles to make players miss in the backfield.

It is really hard to project RBs in the NFL. Guys from small schools that are totally overlooked become super stars and guys like Trent become total busts.
Henry struggles at times to make players miss in the backfield because he has been taught to wait until a seem opens up. Mark Ingram once described it as "pressing the seam," and it's clear it's how our RB's have always been taught to run under Burns. Pressing the seam meshes beautifully with our run blocking scheme. It's a great thing for us, but a bad thing for NFL teams.

Alabama RB's sometimes struggle picking up the concept when they arrive on campus, it's one of the problems with Harris this year, but every RB who's ever come through the system has it down pat by the time they leave campus.

The problem is the transition to the NFL. In the NFL, defenders have too much speed for a RB to press the seam. You hesitate and you're toast. Alabama RB's have had a really tough time with this. It's why several have struggled. Ingram had a rough 2 years until he got that mentality out of his system. His first two years in the league he averaged 3.9 ypc. His last 3 he's averaged 4.5 ypc (he's at 4.6 ypc this year.) That may not sound like much of a difference, but in the NFL it can be the difference between a bust and a Pro Bowler.

It works in college, and it's one of the reasons Henry has 3 types of runs.

Stuffed for -1 yard
Gain for 10
Long TD run of 50+ yards

He's got every skill needed to succeed at the next level. The main thing he'll have to do is adjust to not pressing the seam. He'll have to work out a habit that's been ingrained in him for 3 years. Richardson never could, Ingram has. Lacy adjusted beautifully, but injuries have really taken their toll on him this year. Yeldon seems to be working the habit out of his system as the year goes on and should be a solid RB for years to come.

Last edited:

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
A few years ago I would thought that he would be a mega star. Now after recent events (Trent Richardson). I just don't know. The NFL is so different. How many NFL stars had we not heard of in college? It is a different world. Who would have thought that Tom Brady would become one of the greatest NFL QBs of all time and JaMarcus Russell would be one of the biggest busts.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
He reminds me A LOT of Eddie George. It's almost ridiculous how similar they are.

So say that's his ceiling (which EG had an amazing career), his floor is that he doesn't cut it.

You honestly never know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
This. There's no telling how he'll do. I'm not sure there was one scout or analysis that thought Trent Richardson would turn out the way he did.

Trying to predict a college star's productivity in the NFL is like trying to say how well a 4 or 5 star recruit will do in college. We just don't know.
Jim Brown knew :wink:

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It's so difficult to tell nowadays. I thought Trent Richardson would have the best NFL career of any Saban back. That being said, I think Henry has a unique skillset given his size. At first glance, most people would probably assume he's a bruiser that runs over people, but that's not really (only) what he does. I've never seen anyone that big move the way he does.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
My best guess is that he probably has the physical attributes and skill to be successful. The limiting factor is whether or not he mentally/emotionally is ready to devote himself to what would be required. For him, where there is a will there is a way.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
All I know is Henry set National Rushing Records in high school & did it in pretty stout level of competition in Florida..Then he came to college football & has broke school records at Bama, he also tied Bo & Herschel for the most 200yrds rushing in a game for the season(could break that record in SEC Champ Game)..I don't see why he won't continue becoming progressively better as he goes on to the next level in the NFL..The more folks doubts him..It seems like he only becomes a better player to prove his doubters wrong..JMO

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
He will likely switch to linebacker in the NFL :biggrin:

<How is it that I'm the first to post that in this thread? C'mon guys! Don't miss an easy opportunity like that!>

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All I know is Henry set National Rushing Records in high school & did it in pretty stout level of competition in Florida..Then he came to college football & has broke school records at Bama, he also tied Bo & Herschel for the most 200yrds rushing in a game for the season(could break that record in SEC Champ Game)..I don't see why he won't continue becoming progressively better as he goes on to the next level in the NFL..The more folks doubts him..It seems like he only becomes a better player to prove his doubters wrong..JMO
I don't think that anyone here doubts him. There is just a recognition that the NFL is too different to automatically assume that success will translate. There have been some pretty good college players who simply couldn't make it happen in the NFL.

GMs get paid a lot of money to get this stuff right, and every one will miss on at least one player in the upcoming draft.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree with ya 100% my friend..I think Henry will be fine in the NFL myself & comes down to what team he goes to..There's been a lot of great college RB's that goes to a crappy offense in the NFL & those NFL D's eats them alive..
I don't think that anyone here doubts him. There is just a recognition that the NFL is too different to automatically assume that success will translate. There have been some pretty good college players who simply couldn't make it happen in the NFL.

GMs get paid a lot of money to get this stuff right, and every one will miss on at least one player in the upcoming draft.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Henry struggles at times to make players miss in the backfield because he has been taught to wait until a seem opens up. Mark Ingram once described it as "pressing the seam," and it's clear it's how our RB's have always been taught to run under Burns. Pressing the seam meshes beautifully with our run blocking scheme. It's a great thing for us, but a bad thing for NFL teams.

Alabama RB's sometimes struggle picking up the concept when they arrive on campus, it's one of the problems with Harris this year, but every RB who's ever come through the system has it down pat by the time they leave campus.

The problem is the transition to the NFL. In the NFL, defenders have too much speed for a RB to press the seam. You hesitate and you're toast. Alabama RB's have had a really tough time with this. It's why several have struggled. Ingram had a rough 2 years until he got that mentality out of his system. His first two years in the league he averaged 3.9 ypc. His last 3 he's averaged 4.5 ypc (he's at 4.6 ypc this year.) That may not sound like much of a difference, but in the NFL it can be the difference between a bust and a Pro Bowler.

It works in college, and it's one of the reasons Henry has 3 types of runs.

Stuffed for -1 yard
Gain for 10
Long TD run of 50+ yards

He's got every skill needed to succeed at the next level. The main thing he'll have to do is adjust to not pressing the seam. He'll have to work out a habit that's been ingrained in him for 3 years. Richardson never could, Ingram has. Lacy adjusted beautifully, but injuries have really taken their toll on him this year. Yeldon seems to be working the habit out of his system as the year goes on and should be a solid RB for years to come.
Great post...makes sense...and explains the hesitancy of our running backs at times.

I guess if you run with that mentality it'll take some time to break the habit (as you illustrated with MI).

I remember when I played football at the incredibly high Jr. High level that each running play was simply designed to run to a gap/hole that the offensive linemen were to open up.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I think he'll be a polarizing prospect for the NFL draft, he's a beast of a physical specimen, but also an odd body type for a RB. Being so tall with long legs leads to not being able to get low, and makes you a big target.
6'3" running backs aren't common.

However, ive been more and more impressed with him this year, he is running behind his pads more and showing some power back moves.
Maybe he'll just be one of those guys that is uniquely himself, not a copy of any other back.
Huge LBer size, break away speed, and the heart of a champion.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
and has really developed a knack for making yardage even after contact.
Interesting stat from Eli from the Iron Bowl: 70% of Henry's yards have come AFTER contact. I don't recall ever hearing of a back with that much yardage after contact before. Ever.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
A few years ago I would thought that he would be a mega star. Now after recent events (Trent Richardson). I just don't know. The NFL is so different. How many NFL stars had we not heard of in college? It is a different world. Who would have thought that Tom Brady would become one of the greatest NFL QBs of all time and JaMarcus Russell would be one of the biggest busts.
Um, I don't think Jamarcus Russell is the best illustration to your argument. Everyone except Al Davis thought he would be a bust as a #1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.