Strength Of Florida vs. other SEC West Teams

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I'll admit that I have watched very little of Florida this year, but have caught glimpses here and there. So with that being said, if we were to try to compare Florida to an SEC West team that we have played this year, who would they have the most similarities with? From what I understand, their defense is fairly strong, but their offense is struggling.

Just trying to figure out who they look like compared to the teams we've played.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Defensively, UF will be the best team we've faced all season. They rank #2 in the SEC (behind Alabama) in scoring defense, rushing defense, and total defense and are ranked 4th in passing defense (Bama is 5th).

Offensively, they're a bit of a mess. They miss Grier a bit, but Grier wasn't exactly lighting it up as the starter - he was better than Harris. They have no real backup options behind Harris save Luke Del Rio, who transferred to UF (once against following Nussmeier). UF is ranked 8th in the SEC in scoring, 13th in rushing, 6th in passing, and 12th in total offense. They are a well-coached, opportunistic team, taking advantage oaf other teams' mistakes more than imposing their will on them.

Comparison:
Scoring D: 15.5 (Bama 14.3)
Rushing D: 111.25 (Bama 78.92)
Passing D: 172.3 (Bama 185.8)
Total D: 283.6 (Bama 264.7)

Scoring O: 25.3 (Bama 34.5)
Rushing O: 137.0 (Bama 206.17)
Passing O: 214.9 (Bama 215.2)
Total O: 351.9 (Bama 421.3)

According to Sagarin, after 12 games Florida has played the 46th toughest schedule in the country while Bama has played th 5th toughest schedule. On paper we should be able to stop their offense and grind out points with our offense, but both defenses are very good, so this won't be a cakewalk. I've watched several games this season (and attended one in Gainesville) - this UF team doesn't quit - they're going to play for 60 minutes and Bama better show up ready for a dogfight.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Florida is very over hyped, and the last 4 weeks prove it. I will say they are one of the better defenses we will play, but Florida is extremely lucky that Butch Jones found a way to lose that game against them. We should win by 3 scores and keep them under 10 as long as we play like we can. Auburn was probably a bigger challenge than what Florida is going to be, but that doesnt mean we can just show up and expect to win, but I wouldve been more nervous had we had to play Tennessee again. So Im very confident that we should win comfortably early in the second half.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Defensively, UF will be the best team we've faced all season. They rank #2 in the SEC (behind Alabama) in scoring defense, rushing defense, and total defense and are ranked 4th in passing defense (Bama is 5th).

Offensively, they're a bit of a mess. They miss Grier a bit, but Grier wasn't exactly lighting it up as the starter - he was better than Harris. They have no real backup options behind Harris save Luke Del Rio, who transferred to UF (once against following Nussmeier). UF is ranked 8th in the SEC in scoring, 13th in rushing, 6th in passing, and 12th in total offense. They are a well-coached, opportunistic team, taking advantage oaf other teams' mistakes more than imposing their will on them.

Comparison:

According to Sagarin, after 12 games Florida has played the 46th toughest schedule in the country while Bama has played th 5th toughest schedule. On paper we should be able to stop their offense and grind out points with our offense, but both defenses are very good, so this won't be a cakewalk. I've watched several games this season (and attended one in Gainesville) - this UF team doesn't quit - they're going to play for 60 minutes and Bama better show up ready for a dogfight.
the good thing is, we play hard for 60 minutes too.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
The Florida team that had Will Grier at QB earlier this year and thumped Ole Miss was a national title contedner with a great defense and a good offense. That team vs Bama would be entertaining.

The recent Florida team with Treon Harris at QB is probably the 7th or 8th best team in the SEC and is no match for Bama. Still has a great defense, but has a pitiful offense that couldn't score on Vandy, basically got shut out by FSU, and went to OT with FAU.

Bama is going to crush them.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Comparison:

good news, either does the Crimson Tide. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Florida team that had Will Grier at QB earlier this year and thumped Ole Miss was a national title contedner with a great defense and a good offense. That team vs Bama would be entertaining.

The recent Florida team with Treon Harris at QB is probably the 7th or 8th best team in the SEC and is no match for Bama. Still has a great defense, but has a pitiful offense that couldn't score on Vandy, basically got shut out by FSU, and went to OT with FAU.

Bama is going to crush them.
I agree with this. Amazing how much of a difference a single player can make.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The SECE is just not very good right now, and that includes Florida. With the possible exception of auburn, the entire SECW is better than anyone in the SECE right now in my opinion.

Florida is proof that a good defense can keep an otherwise bad team in a lot of games. They have no qb, they have no kicker, they have no offense, but they keep winning.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Comparison:

I think I read on one of their sites that Del Rio isn't eligible until next year...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're legit defensively. They played @LSU and Ole Miss, so they didn't catch an easier draw from the West like most of the recent East participants. Ole Miss is the best offense they played and frankly they just did what we did to Ole Miss but didn't have the turnovers that killed us by creating easy scoring opportunities for Ole Miss. Easily the best defensive unit we'll see all year in my opinion...though OU is close in some aspects.

Like I've said on other topics, we've got to protect the football because I feel Alabama giving them easy scores is their route to victory.

They lost to a team that lost to GT. Them beating Ole Miss was cool, but we all know OM beating Bama was the fluke of the year. They almost lost to FAU, FAU, even with that defense. Teams with good running games ran all over them. That's what I see in Florida right now and I do think they have a very good defense, especially that secondary. It's going to be a good one, but they should have lost more games than they've lost thus far. Vandy being one of them. Vandy has no offense and still was able to run and move the ball on that defense.
FAU actually out gained Florida in their game.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I think I read on one of their sites that Del Rio isn't eligible until next year...

Good catch, Earle.....

Our backup 'to our backup' is Jacob Guy, and after him Josh Grady - the transfer from Vandy.

Here's our current roster of QBs....

12Josh GradyQB6' 0"200RSRTRTampa/Armwood/Vanderbilt
7Will GrierQB6' 2"203RFRSQDavidson, N.C./Davidson Day
15Jacob GuyQB6' 5"222RJRSQDade City/Pasco
3Treon HarrisQB5' 11"195SO1LMiami/Booker T. Washington
17Anderson ProctorQB6' 3"209RSOHSVero Beach/St. Edward's

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.