Link: Coach Smart to UGA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also, Georgia saw that Smart was about to take a HC job somewhere. He is their guy and they didn't want to miss this opportunity.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Also, Georgia saw that Smart was about to take a HC job somewhere. He is their guy and they didn't want to miss this opportunity.
I agree, the timing was right and they got all their ducks in a row before they pulled the pin. I think most UGA fans are happy with the move.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Now you are thinking like a UGA fan. :) They were 14-21 against ranked teams since 2008. That's why he was fired.
Thing is, and this is mere conjecture, but I don't think that happens if they win in 2012. Changes everything.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Well, I just think teams should show some respect that other team's seasons are not over yet. UGA would not be happy if they were in our shoes with a playoff berth right around the corner, maybe one day they'll get to experience what the playoffs feel like.

I think the NCAA will have to do something one day, it may be many many years from now but, they will eventually. As this playoff grows bigger and expands (like we all know it will) teams will be playing more games in late December and early January. It's not fair to those teams, that just because they are having success, their coaching staffs get picked apart by lesser teams right before a playoff run. The NCAA will need to create guidelines or rules that prohibit the hiring of coaches whose season has not ended. Similar to the NFL, you don't see DC and OC abandoning NFL teams right before the playoffs and it shouldn't happen in college either.

Don't give me the recruiting excuse either, your commitment and obligation to your current teams has to count for something. If you fire your coach, sorry but, recruiting will take a hit that year and the new guy will get started in mid January. That should just be part of the territory of firing a coach. It's just not fair to any of the playoff teams that have worked so hard to get to this moment and then have their coaching staff picked apart by vultures who demand that you skip town before the most important games of the season.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think UGA totally disrespected UA with the Smart deal. Listening to Jim Donnan on Finebaum makes me a little angry for several reasons.

First the news of the hire was purposely leaked by UGA. Guess they figured hey who cares if KS has contractual obligations to UA and who cares if this creates issues for them here in the meat of a championship run,Smarts ours now.

I remember in the past when a coach wasnt considered for anything until his current season was completed. This was generally done as a gesture of respect. Maybe all the morals are leaving with Richt.

Next Donnan says he bets KS brings recruits across to UGA with him from Bama. Then he goes on to say Smart "might" want to leave Bama after Saturday to hit the recruiting trail for UGA regardless of the SECCG outcome.

If this would've been handled with respect I would be happy for KS and UGA. But now, all I have to say is 38-10
When it comes to that dreaded concept of "class", Georgia is no better than the worst. They aren't a historically great program. They are very similar to Auburn in that regard.

I hate it that Smart is going there for many reasons, chief among them that I'll pull against him almost always. They are a low rent program. Maybe he can change all of that. But I doubt it. These things run deep in the DNA of a program.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Would hate to lose Tosh but I'm pretty confident we won't invite Lance Thompson back...and our OLBs have pretty much been great whenever that schmuck isn't around.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.