Link: Coach Smart to UGA

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I think this is a huge mistake. If he doesn't bring home a national championship within five years, what should be expect? And where does he go from GA if not successful? Very little room for error. And, Smart is becoming the head coach in a somewhat toxic environment - replacing a long term coach with an excellent winning percentage. And, the division is rebuilding as Tennessee and Florida are definitely on the upswing. I think McElwain's path makes more sense. Success at a smaller program before moving on to a top tier program. I think McElwain's success is proof that the players were at Florida but the coaching wasn't.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Money talks and we all know what walks. If Nick wants him bad enough I'm not worried.
Agree completely. Kirby won't be able to out bid Alabama for Cochran if we really want to keep him, only because the decision makers at UGA aren't going to immediately have the highest paid S&C coach.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Do we get that $500,000 buy out if he gets a HC job? If so, we could just pass that on to Cochran.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Guys CKS has done a great job for us and I hate to see him go. Coach Saban's coaching tree is getting bigger every year.
As long as CNS is in charge, I'm not too concerned. He will replace Kirby with a good hire and we'll move right along.
The timing isn't the best but it is what it is. RTR!

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I think this is a huge mistake. If he doesn't bring home a national championship within five years, what should be expect? And where does he go from GA if not successful? Very little room for error. And, Smart is becoming the head coach in a somewhat toxic environment - replacing a long term coach with an excellent winning percentage. And, the division is rebuilding as Tennessee and Florida are definitely on the upswing. I think McElwain's path makes more sense. Success at a smaller program before moving on to a top tier program. I think McElwain's success is proof that the players were at Florida but the coaching wasn't.
It's Kirby's alma mater, he may never get this chance again. It would be more ideal if he had already had head coaching experience, but i can't see him turning down this job down for that reason, probably his dream job.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Guys CKS has done a great job for us and I hate to see him go. Coach Saban's coaching tree is getting bigger every year.
As long as CNS is in charge, I'm not too concerned. He will replace Kirby with a good hire and we'll move right along.
The timing isn't the best but it is what it is. RTR!
Yup, yup, yup!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This is an opportunity Kirby simply couldn't turn down and I wish him nothing but the best.

Is the timing bad? Maybe. But its not different than any other time when coaches have left for other jobs. This is typically when programs looking for coaches hire coaches. This year being quick out of the gate is necessary due to the large number of teams looking for jobs. Additionally, the UGAs, VTs, USCs, etc of the world can't wait around until mid-January to make a hire. Too much is at stake for recruiting. When the day comes that Bama needs a new coach, I certainly hope we aren't waiting around until January to find the best guy.

I would like to point out something that we seem to be forgetting: we still have the best HC in the business. Not only does Saban hire talented folks he's great at developing them as well. Does it suck that Smart and Cochran are leaving? Yes. But I feel pretty confident in the guy picking their replacement.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
Huge conflict of interest in my opinion, especially if Kirby needs to start working on behalf Georgia at any level before Bama finishes the season.

Agreed, but I do seem to recall that Richt is sticking around in Athens in some "administrative" capacity. So if that is the case, it could give them some continuity while CKS finishes his current job.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Agreed, but I do seem to recall that Richt is sticking around in Athens in some "administrative" capacity. So if that is the case, it could give them some continuity while CKS finishes his current job.

He just applied and had interviews with Virginia and Miami. He ain't gonna be around.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Okay lets try to be somewhat optimistic here. We knew that when the UGA job came open that Kirby was 1a and 1b on the list. We also know that more than likely CLK and Cristobol are going to land position elsewhere as well.

Most people close to CNS have said he gets much more enjoyment from building a program than he does from sustaining one. With the probably of losing both coordinators, another assistant, plus a S&C coach in addition to significant losses of key players to graduation and the draft, would this not be one of the biggest challenges CNS would face at the Capstone since 2007? Could it be the very thing that "re-energizes" CNS for the next several years?

I'm not trying to pump sunshine up anyone's rear here. I'm just saying that we all knew at some point due to our success our key assistants would get opportunities. I don't like it happening with the SECCG and possible CFB playoffs looming. However, I trusted CNS when he arrived here in 2007 to make the best choices for the program and I trust that he will put a plan in place to make the changes as seamless as possible.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.