Link: Coach Smart to UGA

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
It's Kirby's alma mater, he may never get this chance again. It would be more ideal if he had already had head coaching experience, but i can't see him turning down this job down for that reason, probably his dream job.
This is failure according to GA = .740 Pct. winning record over 15 years; 9-5 bowl record

GA can dream but how patient will they be. I'm not saying Smart won't be successful, it just seems a more reasonable path is McElwain's.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Most people close to CNS have said he gets much more enjoyment from building a program than he does from sustaining one. With the probably of losing both coordinators, another assistant, plus a S&C coach in addition to significant losses of key players to graduation and the draft, would this not be one of the biggest challenges CNS would face at the Capstone since 2007? Could it be the very thing that "re-energizes" CNS for the next several years?
I totally agree with these thoughts.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I had written Kirby off the staff period this year with all the vacancies , but coach Cochran leaving is very disheartening. I really really hate that we may be losing Cochran. I say we pay him and give him a radio segment after coach sabans! Not sure how that voice would go over on air though :biggrin:

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Coach Richt said in his press conference that he would be coaching his guys in their bowl game. No reason that Smart wouldn't do the same for us. The bowl games and playoff games are around the same time right?

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
This is failure according to GA = .740 Pct. winning record over 15 years; 9-5 bowl record

GA can dream but how patient will they be. I'm not saying Smart won't be successful, it just seems a more reasonable path is McElwain's.
Well, lets say Kirby turned the UGA job down and UGA hired some young hot shot coach that stays there the next 15 years.

Kirby played football at UGA and has probably wanted to become head coach there one day, the timing may not be right again, so to me you take the opportunity, if it doesn't work out, at least you got the chance.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
CB4,

I think the biggest issue is Cochran. Nobody is really crying over Cristobal and Kiffin.

I understand that. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over either of them as well. I don't like the notion of losing Cochran either. But no one would be pilfering our staff had it not been for our success in the CNS era. It comes with the territory unfortunately.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Coach Richt said in his press conference that he would be coaching his guys in their bowl game. No reason that Smart wouldn't do the same for us. The bowl games and playoff games are around the same time right?
Willing to bet he will pack it up after SEC. Which means CNS will call defense for playoffs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Muschamp would do better going with Kirby to UGA and revitalizing his image but if SCAR is willing to offer and willing to pay then he will undoubtedly say yes.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Okay lets try to be somewhat optimistic here. We knew that when the UGA job came open that Kirby was 1a and 1b on the list. We also know that more than likely CLK and Cristobol are going to land position elsewhere as well.

Most people close to CNS have said he gets much more enjoyment from building a program than he does from sustaining one. With the probably of losing both coordinators, another assistant, plus a S&C coach in addition to significant losses of key players to graduation and the draft, would this not be one of the biggest challenges CNS would face at the Capstone since 2007? Could it be the very thing that "re-energizes" CNS for the next several years?

I'm not trying to pump sunshine up anyone's rear here. I'm just saying that we all knew at some point due to our success our key assistants would get opportunities. I don't like it happening with the SECCG and possible CFB playoffs looming. However, I trusted CNS when he arrived here in 2007 to make the best choices for the program and I trust that he will put a plan in place to make the changes as seamless as possible.
Losing a large part of his staff does give Coach Saban a built-in excuse for not being able to win the SEC west, SECCG, NPC next year. It could help keep us from winning it even this year.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Losing a large part of his staff does give Coach Saban a built-in excuse for not being able to win the SEC west, SECCG, NPC next year. It could help keep us from winning it even this year.
To be honest, I don't expect us to make all of that next year. I think we just lose too much and having a new QB starter without much experience will hurt us. But of course things could change.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Where do you get that impression?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seems like everyone or almost everyone on this board has said he's not returning next year. So, where's he going? NFL? Is someone offering him a HC job in college somewhere?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Yeah..Saban can get the next guy up. I just hope the players can stay focused. After all, we have underperformed in the post regular season of recent years. That is the only reason I am concerned how this could change our outlook for these next few games.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
To be honest, I don't expect us to make all of that next year. I think we just lose too much and having a new QB starter without much experience will hurt us. But of course things could change.
Yep, I agree. I'm afraid next year will be a rebuilding year. We lose so much, and I think we will have a few question marks on both sides of the ball, but I'll worry about that after the playoffs. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.