Link: Coach Smart to UGA

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Seems like everyone or almost everyone on this board has said he's not returning next year. So, where's he going? NFL? Is someone offering him a HC job in college somewhere?
His question indicated he thought Kiffen was going to UGA too. I assume he interpreted the post above about CNS calling plays to mean Kiffen since he referenced the OC, but the play calling ref was on defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This may have been stated but it would probably be an awkward situation if CKS stayed through the playoffs because of the amount of recruits that Bama and UGA are both recruiting. It's not like he could recruit for UGA and stay on to coach the playoff games. I just hope CKS being gone doesn't cause a loss. The players and all the other coaches don't deserve that..

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Kirby and Cochran's families are best friends.
I'm sure they're thick as thieves, but if Coach Saban wants him bad enough to give him the financial incentive to stay then he will. Based on UGA's history of being tight with money in the athletic department, they aren't going to get into a bidding war over a S&C coach no matter how tight he is with the new coach. With that said, we may not either if we don't think it's worth it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well, lets say Kirby turned the UGA job down and UGA hired some young hot shot coach that stays there the next 15 years.

Kirby played football at UGA and has probably wanted to become head coach there one day, the timing may not be right again, so to me you take the opportunity, if it doesn't work out, at least you got the chance.
He probably becomes financially secure for life by becoming UGA's head coach.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
To be honest, I don't expect us to make all of that next year. I think we just lose too much and having a new QB starter without much experience will hurt us. But of course things could change.
We're gonna lose some great players but nothing out of the ordinary. We should return most of our secondary and receivers. Only two departures on the oline. Lot of depth at DL and LB. When has a new starting QB really affected us that bad? I expect us to be contending as usual.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep, I agree. I'm afraid next year will be a rebuilding year. We lose so much, and I think we will have a few question marks on both sides of the ball, but I'll worry about that after the playoffs. :)
Not that I'm down on our talent, but I'm with you in thinking we lose too much and it will be an experience year for most. Of course if the QB progresses we could be nasty in two years, and again on defense yet again. Could be next year too if the youngsters on the D-Line step up.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've seen several recruits that are committed to Bama wish CKS good luck but say they are still coming to Bama. That's a good sign..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Calvin Ridley tweeted

@CalvinRidley1: Right be before the championship smh

Eddie Jackson:

@EJackson_4: Coach smart Leaving that's crazy it was a good three years with him��

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
We will be fine. Saban has his fingerprints all over the D. We'll upgrade at QB next year. Proof is in the pudding 3 games in.

JohnnyCache

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2002
Carrollton, GA but from Mobile, AL
I am thankful that CKS stayed as long as he did and I am grateful for his service, talent, and leadership. I always figured if the UGA job opened up he'd be gone. I just pray he stays through the playoffs if we make it that far for both his sake and ours. It only seems fair that he finishes his business before moving on.

When do you think we'll know for sure? After the SECCG?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Congrats to CKS on the new job, finish strong this year with a NC and then we'll see you on the field in the next couple of years. Much success to you (as long as you're not playing BAMA) and remember ... all roads to the SEC championship goes through Tuscaloosa ;) ... Roll Tide!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The Barn boards are lit up. Not only are they concerned that Muschamp is possibly leaving for USCe or going with Kirby to UGA, there is also concern that we will go after him as our DC if he doesn't get the USCe job. Many have almost conceded that he will not be there next year.

Don't see Muschamp coming here. I've got a feeling that Mel Tucker may be the "next man up" for that job. You can't question the improvement we've seen with the DB's this year.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
This coaching carousel crap really has me furious! Coach Smart still has a job at Bama to do and shouldn't have Georgia on his mind until Sunday. This stuff could trickle down to the players and affect their focus and performance Saturday. There's plenty of time after Saturday to handle other job conversations. :mad:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I will simply say this. If all the reports are true and Smart and Co. are to UGA, and CMC and CLK are looking to move on...that's fine and I wish them all the very best.
However, if any of them CKS included, do not finish their responsibilities at Alabama like CJM did...I have absolutely no respect for them no matter the circumstance. They all were made what they are by the University of Alabama and Nick Saban. Period.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I guess I'm surprised at the doom and gloom. Though at this point, should I be?
Not really. Nature of the beast. I would not say I am not concerned. Replacing someone who has been a stabilizing influence on the program is much different from someone who has only been there for a few seasons. I expect we will have some upheaval. We have plenty enough to weather the storm. I expect Coach Saban has a very good list, and probably expected and prepared for it more than anyone else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.