Link: Coach Smart to UGA

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I can't take any more of this tonight. I think I'll hibernate until Saturday at approx. 3:00 p.m. CST.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well, I'm excited to see the new faces and new direction of the program. And if Cochran leaves, at least I won't have to listen to him every time I go to a football game. ;)
He is a unique character, but there are others out there, I hope.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The Barn boards are lit up. Not only are they concerned that Muschamp is possibly leaving for USCe or going with Kirby to UGA, there is also concern that we will go after him as our DC if he doesn't get the USCe job. Many have almost conceded that he will not be there next year.

Don't see Muschamp coming here. I've got a feeling that Mel Tucker may be the "next man up" for that job. You can't question the improvement we've seen with the DB's this year.
They're pretty morbid tonight. Said the same thing there I did here:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I will simply say this. If all the reports are true and Smart and Co. are to UGA, and CMC and CLK are looking to move on...that's fine and I wish them all the very best.
However, if any of them CKS included, do not finish their responsibilities at Alabama like CJM did...I have absolutely no respect for them no matter the circumstance. They all were made what they are by the University of Alabama and Nick Saban. Period.
Well, you won't have any respect for CKS then..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Is this really a surprise? The general feeling for the last couple days has been that Kirby was going to Georgia. Good for him. Good for anyone who wants to go with him. And good for all the guys who are going to get an opportunity to come coach at Bama.

I think it was more of the timing of it all.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Is this really a surprise? The general feeling for the last couple days has been that Kirby was going to Georgia. Good for him. Good for anyone who wants to go with him. And good for all the guys who are going to get an opportunity to come coach at Bama.
I think most are surprised this was announced before the SECCG which is only a few days away. I'm sure UGA wanted to leak the information to ease the minds of current players and recruits. Problem with announcing it now (in terms of Bama) is it will be a distraction for some of the players and other coaches..

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado

It's one thing to talk about as an ethereal possibility, even a likelihood.
It's another thing completely for it to crawl up and sit in your lap.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I am very thankful for what CKS has helped Bama accomplish during his tenure here. I wish him the best of luck in his new endeavors (except if/when we play against him). If he needs to leave after the SECCG I completely understand and wish him well.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Exactly Saban will hire the best replacement out there forever we lose. And the cycle will likley repeat again down the road. That is the price paid when you hire top notch guys. If nobody is after some of your staff to try to improve there program, then you really have to wonder if that staff is worth having.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You and I could coach that team to beat Florida. This will be a distraction for all of tonight. Then it just is what it is. We'll beat Florida and move on. Kirby will get announced officially next week. There'll be a decision about whether he will do both jobs through the playoff. And that's that.
I agree with all that but I just wish they had waited till Sunday to announce it. That's all. What's 4 days?

JohnnyCache

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2002
Carrollton, GA but from Mobile, AL
The announcement won't hurt us at all in the SECCG. CKS will have the defense ready and they'll play their hearts out for him. My concern is what happens if we reach the playoffs. I know I sound like a broken record but it really worries me.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I know I'm suppose to be a good Bama fan and pat CKS on the back but, this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. How can you turn your back on the team you've committed to all year right before the (potentially) 2 most important games of the year (assuming we make the NCG). CJM saw it through when he left and I respected him for that, if CKS doesn't do the same then I'll lose a little respect for him.

The mind set in college football has to change and signing day needs to be pushed a couple weeks later. You don't see NFL coaches jumping ship right before the playoffs, college coaches need to have the same mindset if we are gong to stick with this playoff thing. What happens when the playoffs expand to 8+ teams and 3 or more games for the teams that make it all the way? This isn't just a bowl game anymore, it's the playoffs... mindsets must change IMO. You don't abandon what you've worked for all year, if the next job wants you bad enough then they should have enough respect to wait. It's how they would want to be treat, right?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just being honest about how I feel. I feel bad for our players if he leaves after Saturday, they've worked to hard for this to happen right now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.