Link: Coach Smart to UGA

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yup, if a coach leaves before the season is done, he's no different than Spurrier - who quit his team mid-season.

Finish the job then do what you want.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I'd be willing to bet that CKS will coach in the Playoff should we beat FL. Also, the D will play inspired for him.
As for recruiting, iirc the dead period starts basically a week after the SECCG and extends to just after the CFB final?
Is that correct?
If that's right, he basically has a week to touch base with UGA current recruits that he wants to continue to go after.
CKS would need to do the interviewing/hiring of his new staff during that time and while the Bama players are off for finals.
I think he would be able to juggle his new duties while finishing the season like CJM.

I guess I'm also hoping he has enough respect for CNS and the players here to see it through. It would be a nice recruiting tool to be talked about on air during the playoffs like McE was aslo

Last edited:

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
I absolutely hate the timing of this "announcement". I imagine that no one in the UA, including Kirby, likes seeing this news breaking out now. This is definitely going to impact the mindset of some of our players.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I hope he finishes, but comparing a coach leaving pre post-season and a coach leaving four games into the season is apples and oranges in my view, if for no other reason than the former isn't all that unusual at all.
*shrugs*

Just because it's commonplace doesn't mean it's any different - the coach is still quitting the team before the season is over.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Dang! Just....dang! However, it may take a little patience this next year, BUT, I trust that the overall process will continue! But, then again, Cochran was one of my all-time favorite coaches - EVER! Like juniors leaving us all the time now...our success is actually potentially hurting us.....smh.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Not crazy about the timing but that's the 24 hour news cycle we live with now. It was going to leak no matter what. I truly hope CKS sticks it out until the end. It's the right thing to do. Richt is coaching the Dawgs in their bowl, so there's no rush IMO. I'm happy for Smart. It's a big time job he's gotten himself.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
The mind set in college football has to change and signing day needs to be pushed a couple weeks later. You don't see NFL coaches jumping ship right before the playoffs, college coaches need to have the same mindset if we are gong to stick with this playoff thing. What happens when the playoffs expand to 8+ teams and 3 or more games for the teams that make it all the way? This isn't just a bowl game anymore, it's the playoffs... mindsets must change IMO. You don't abandon what you've worked for all year, if the next job wants you bad enough then they should have enough respect to wait. It's how they would want to be treat, right?
I agree, in the NFL you can't take a position until the season is over, and then you have plenty of time to assemble a staff in advance of free agency and the draft. In college you have a month from the end of the season to signing day, which isn't much time to assemble a recruiting class. Unfortunately, I can't blame Smart if he doesn't stick around after the SECCG and, quite frankly, I don't know that we want him to. Both Bowden and Richt have stated that if they could do it over again they probably would not have agreed for Richt to coach the national championship game against Oklahoma in 2000 because Richt wasn't 100% focused on the game leading up to it. They didn't come out and directly say it, but it probably cost them the game.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I wish CKS the best, except when he faces us. As for the playoffs, should we make it, I'd rather have the Alabama head coach calling our defense than the Georgia head coach.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I hope he finishes, but comparing a coach leaving pre post-season and a coach leaving four games into the season is apples and oranges in my view, if for no other reason than the former isn't all that unusual at all.
You're right, leaving right before the playoffs would be worse in my book. At least Spurrier knew SC sucked and wasn't going to be playing for anything significant. Like I said, this isn't the normal college post season anymore, it's the playoffs, arguably the most important games of the year. It's what your work for, you don't abandon that.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I "assume" Coach Saban has known about the offer to Kirby Smart. Wonder how long he's known? Quote from al.com last week regarding Muschamp contacting Coach Saban about his future after being let go by Florida:

"Will's my friend so I don't think I should tell you what my conversations are with my friends," Saban said shortly after Muschamp took the job at Auburn last December. "He's my friend. He worked for me for a long time and did a great job, so if we have a professional conversation about his future and what he's going to do, I don't know that that's for everybody else to know."

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
You're right, leaving right before the playoffs would be worse in my book. At least Spurrier knew SC sucked and wasn't going to be playing for anything significant. Like I said, this isn't the normal college post season anymore, it's the playoffs, arguably the most important games of the year. It's what your work for, you don't abandon that.
Disagree 100%. CSS looked at the mess he made as HBC at SC and walked out to play golf instead of taking the beatings he had coming. CKS is being rewarded for his good work with the head job at his alma mater. Once named head coach at UGA, his focus should be on that job. If he stays on at Bama for one or two more games, how focused can he be? I think it would be better for all parties involved for him to move on.

The situation with CJM was different. There was only one game to worry about, and there was nobody on staff as competent as he was to call the offense. I'm pretty sure CNS is more than competent to call the defense for us.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I think he'll be able to focus just fine, and believe that's what he'll do. Herman did it last year, and I think Kirby is a better coach than Herman.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I think he'll be able to focus just fine, and believe that's what he'll do. Herman did it last year, and I think Kirby is a better coach than Herman.
You may be right. I still won't blame him if he doesn't stick around after Saturday.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.